Article: I Found Two Abandoned Cars In A Forest On The Island Of Montreal. Let’s Identify Them

Good points. Now I'm not so sure. All the Chryslers from that era seem to have similar rear ends.

En 2011 quand je suis déménagé dans les environs elles étaient là. Rien n'a bougé depuis. Je me demande depuis quand elles sont là...

Voila
e212a97c5301d383efc5af79c621873e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

If I'm honest that first one's engine block looks suspiciously like a Ford inline 6. What does the tag on the oil filter port say?

That's for the distributor not the oil filter.

IMO, the car looks like a 1953-54 Chevy 210.

1953-chevrolet-210-4-door-very-nice-driver-1.JPG

1953-chevrolet-210-4-door-very-nice-driver-7.JPG

However I'm pretty sure that's a Dodge/Chrysler/De Soto inline 6 engine

six.jpg

So my guess is a 53-54 Chevy 210 (not a Bel-Air) with a really shitty engine swap.

That's for the distributor not the oil filter.

IMO, the car looks like a 1953-54 Chevy 210.

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/uploads/photoalbum/1953-chevrolet-210-4-door-very-nice-driver-1.JPG

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/uploads/photoalbum/1953-chevrolet-210-4-door-very-nice-driver-7.JPG

However I'm pretty sure that's a Dodge/Chrysler/De Soto inline 6 engine

https://www.allpar.com/photos/vimages/dodge/1960/trucks/six.jpg

So my guess is a 53-54 Chevy 210 (not a Bel-Air) with a really shitty engine swap.

At first I thought it was the distributor too but the internals don't really look like a distro. The only thing though is that there seem to be some electrical related items in there which would also rule out the engine oil filter port.

[edit] looking at it again now I realize you're right, it's the distro because it's basically attached to the block as if it wants to be grounded from it. I wish we could read the tag on it.

That Chevy 210 looks like a great match. Especially the square gas tank on the side. The back window seems to match too.

It's amazing how all the cars of that era look the same.

That Chevy 210 looks like a great match. Especially the square gas tank on the side. The back window seems to match too.

It's amazing how all the cars of that era look the same.

The square gas tank door, the sharper more square rear by the taillights (vs a Windsor for example which is more rounded), the large round bulge on the rear passenger door, all the chrome trim including around the rear window... Everything seems to match.

It's just that engine that doesn't match.

Yes cars all looked similar, but that has not changed 70 years later. At least back then there were updates almost every year, and new models every few years. Now we get generations lasting 10+ years with no major changes.

The square gas tank door, the sharper more square rear by the taillights (vs a Windsor for example which is more rounded), the large round bulge on the rear passenger door, all the chrome trim including around the rear window... Everything seems to match.

It's just that engine that doesn't match.

Yes cars all looked similar, but that has not changed 70 years later. At least back then there were updates almost every year, and new models every few years. Now we get generations lasting 10+ years with no major changes.
You are also forgetting there were only really GM, Ford, Chrysler, Studebaker and AMC... Maybe in Canada you had more of a BMC presence and the usual Europe suspects but they didn't even make a blip on the radar. Something like 95% of the market was controlled by American brands. One of my hobbies is to track down where all the various dealers were. The amount of them was insane, we are talking almost like Couche Tard levels of stores.

I don't like most 50s cars with the exception of some models pretty much everything looked like crap. People moan a out the malaise of the 70s but the 50s is right up there with it for me. Lots of good looking stuff in the 60s. It's like for that decade someone turned on a switch and figured out design.

Oddly enough most cars had chassis that dated back to the 30s with some revisions over time.

So I believe I have figured out the mystery.

So I believe both of these are Pontiacs, the (aqua/blue) is a 1954 Pontiac Pathfinder ( Canadian only car) and the motor is original not a swap. They came with a 239 Flathead six.

The second car is too far gone for me to figure out but it's a Pontiac motor also, I can only tell because the "Chief" logo is on it.

Here's a pic, if you notice after the gas opening there's another round part, that's also there, so I feel it all matches.

http://www.callingallcars.ca/cd34/ref743lr.jpg

Back