Whole floor radiant heat

250Rocket

Just wondering if anybody here has experience with electric in floor heating over more than just a bathroom as their primary heat source?

It looks like we will tile almost the entirety of the first floor. The main open area is just under 700sqft including a hallway with another 75sqft for the bathroom/laundry room and another 70 for the entrance.

I read that because the whole floor is warm, the living area is much more comfortable and evenly heated than any other kind of heating solution. I'm looking for your help to know if this is true or just marketing BS where I'm going to have to install other types of heating after the first winter.

pretty sure for that big of a surface glycol would be much better.

For what it's worth, in my previous house, both my bathrooms were heated with heating floor and in my current house, the main floor's bathroom is as well. Never experienced something this confortable to be honest, would not go back. I regret not doing it in the basement too.

We have about 700 square foot of tiles on the main floor (kitchen, dinning room and one living room on the same level (we live in a split level)), 3 bathroom everything is heated with electric cable. This isn’t our primary heating source as we have central HVAC.

The central system is nice to get AC in summer, and the tiles feels “colder” in hot temperature. To give an idea, we cool the house to 25C and it feels great.
In the winter, we do the baseline with central heating (21C) and put the floors at about 24C in the living area and 25-26C in the bathrooms.

This is the most conformable setup IMO. 3 bedrooms and 2 living rooms have on wood floor. In the summer it feels about the same, but in the winter the wood feels “cold” compared to the tiles.
The only place we didn’t put heating cable is in the entrance; but it would have been nice to dry hats and gloves.

Since you are (were?) looking on super efficient home, it boils down to how you heat your glycol (and AC need). Our heat pump have 100% capacity a COP of 1.5 at -23C so it is still pretty good. Typically, water heater are full electric.
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=c505ca81078122a8dca35b5c9c45473c&oe=5E2F9B49

Just wondering if anybody here has experience with electric in floor heating over more than just a bathroom as their primary heat source?

It looks like we will tile almost the entirety of the first floor. The main open area is just under 700sqft including a hallway with another 75sqft for the bathroom/laundry room and another 70 for the entrance.

I read that because the whole floor is warm, the living area is much more comfortable and evenly heated than any other kind of heating solution. I'm looking for your help to know if this is true or just marketing BS where I'm going to have to install other types of heating after the first winter.

I had that in my old condo

Did not like as main heat without supplemental. Could not regulate fast enough... But it was warm enough. I am not sure if it was electric or water though...

The heat is very comfortable though

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Glycol ici et ce sera notre première hiver dans la nouvelle maison.
Pour ce que je peux te dire, on a visiter plusieurs maisons et dès qu'on est entrer dans celle-ci, tu vois une énorme différence sur le confort. La température est "égal" partout et le confort est vraiment supérieur à celle qui était électrique,chauffage d'appoint au gaz, bois....

Le seul point négatif que je peux voir, lors des "entre-saison" le système prend du temps à chauffer donc idéalement je vais me faire mettre une thermo-pompe. Je n'ai pas encore eu le problème comme il y a beaucoup de fenestration qui laisse entrer la chaleur du soleil mais j'imagine que ça va venir en octobre....

Thank you all for you input// Merci à tous pour votre contribution.

Good to know that people enjoy their heated floor. I trust MR much more than random "testimonies" on the vendor's website, even if I don't personally know you guys personally.

Glycol vs electric, I've read that it's more efficient for large scale to go Glycol however my personal track record with leaking water makes me gravitate toward electric.

As far as personal preference for heat, you could say we're extremely Canadian. Last 3 winters in this condo (1200sqft) and we turned on the heat maybe 20 time over each winter. Basically when it gets down to 16.5C we turn it on until 20C and let the temp slowly creep back down. 18C is perfect for us but my worry is if we built it to our liking, if we need to sell it, the new owner might bitch if they can't keep it at 24C. Don't think it will be an issue.

I know it's not the cheapest to install but the comfort it provides along with the fact that it doesn't dry the air out nor does it blow dust around is definitely worth the upgrade.

we're looking to do 3,000 sqft with a glycol set-up + central AC. i didn't think the supplemental heat pump would be necessary for the "in-betweens".

I understood it was rather efficient to have heated floors because of the heat mass and better ability to regulate temps, with the understanding that you have a very well insulated house.

we're looking to do 3,000 sqft with a glycol set-up + central AC. i didn't think the supplemental heat pump would be necessary for the "in-betweens".

I understood it was rather efficient to have heated floors because of the heat mass and better ability to regulate temps, with the understanding that you have a very well insulated house.
A heat pump is an AC with a reverser valve. The price gap between the two shouldn't be that much. If you are going for central AC, you should make the leap for a good heatpump instead.

It does not. :) (3-ton system as reference: http://www.mitsubishitechinfo.ca/sites/default/files/Zuba_36_Heating_Performance.pdf)

But 1.5 COP is definitely not bad for such low temp.

Radiant heat is definitely not the cheapest or most "eco-friendly" way when it comes to heating. However, comfort is a big plus.
got me. 31500 BTU instead of 36000, so capacity is a bit less but I was spot on on COP hehe

Je pourrais updater avec mon expérience pour les entres-deux mais je crois que ça va être nécessaire; nous avons 1400 sqft et le glycol sur chaque étage avec 5 zones par étages. Présentement le glycol n'est pas starter et juste avec la chaleur des fenêtres on varie entre 21 et 25 degrés à l'intérieur malgré la température qui est autour de 15 le jour et 4-7 la nuit.

Il y a aussi la méthode d'installation du glycol qui peut jouer sur le résultat. Je sais que certains installe le système directement sur le veneer ce qui rend le système beaucoup moin efficace que si tu te fais une slab de 1-2 pouces de beton et que tu y installe le système....

Autre belle avantage aussi est l'insonorisation au sous sol.
Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Je pourrais updater avec mon expérience pour les entres-deux mais je crois que ça va être nécessaire; nous avons 1400 sqft et le glycol sur chaque étage avec 5 zones par étages. Présentement le glycol n'est pas starter et juste avec la chaleur des fenêtres on varie entre 21 et 25 degrés à l'intérieur malgré la température qui est autour de 15 le jour et 4-7 la nuit.

Il y a aussi la méthode d'installation du glycol qui peut jouer sur le résultat. Je sais que certains installe le système directement sur le veneer ce qui rend le système beaucoup moin efficace que si tu te fais une slab de 1-2 pouces de beton et que tu y installe le système....

Autre belle avantage aussi est l'insonorisation au sous sol.
5 zones par étage woahhh! Cibole j'ai une zone par étage hehe.

Tu as des taco controllers x2? Je pense même pas qu'ils font 10 zones...

5 zones par étage woahhh! Cibole j'ai une zone par étage hehe.

Tu as des taco controllers x2? Je pense même pas qu'ils font 10 zones...

Oui exacte 2 taco zvc405 5 zones chaques.

Thermostats intelligents?

Moi j'ai mis des ecobee, mais en mettre 10 ouch

Non malheureusement mais j'ai dans les plans de les changer dans le futur. Peut être juste mettre 2-3 intelligent dans les plus grosses zones; je vais devoir regardé ça et m'informer..

Comment tu les aimes? C'est customizable pas mal? Je crois que c'est autour de 200$+ sensor le ecobee?

Non malheureusement mais j'ai dans les plans de les changer dans le futur. Peut être juste mettre 2-3 intelligent dans les plus grosses zones; je vais devoir regardé ça et m'informer..

Comment tu les aimes? C'est customizable pas mal? Je crois que c'est autour de 200$+ sensor le ecobee?

Pas de sensor moi juste le ecobee 3 lite

Si ma mémoire est bonne j'ai pogné un rabais genre 130 chaque

it's pretty much one of the best way of heating a house if it's mostly open area and well insulated. My friend has a tiny house (around 500p^2) and it's really efficient.

In the winter, we do the baseline with central heating (21C) and put the floors at about 24C in the living area and 25-26C in the bathrooms.

So your central heating never come ON and your floors do 100% of the job.

Never the temp will go down below 21 for the central to come ON with the floor set to 24 (Which is hot as hell! IMO)

Quand j'ai fais mon setup glycol dans mon garage, l'électricien m'a dit que l'électrique maintenant est beaucoup plus facile a installé et réparé en cas de probleme et ca s'intalle autant sous le bois.

J'ai des amis qui ont de la ceramique a la grandeur aussi(chauffant)..et ils disent que pu jamais....c'est une surface qui feel tres dur a marché et "dur sur les articulations".
Pour y avoir passer 2 semaine: c'est vrai...c'est loin d'être "le fun" comme du bois pour marcher en bas ou nu pied.

Never the temp will go down below 21 for the central to come ON with the floor set to 24 (Which is hot as hell! IMO)

Quand j'ai fais mon setup glycol dans mon garage, l'électricien m'a dit que l'électrique maintenant est beaucoup plus facile a installé et réparé en cas de probleme et ca s'intalle autant sous le bois.

J'ai des amis qui ont de la ceramique a la grandeur aussi(chauffant)..et ils disent que pu jamais....c'est une surface qui feel tres dur a marché et "dur sur les articulations".
Pour y avoir passer 2 semaine: c'est vrai...c'est loin d'être "le fun" comme du bois pour marcher en bas ou nu pied.
+2

+1 parce que c'est l'inverse, tu mets 17 sur le plancher qui est vraiment une belle chaleur douce et tu varié de 20-24 selon jour/nuit/enfants/adultes avec l'electrique ou autre.

+1 parce que de la céramique sauf quand cuisine et sdb c'est vraiment trop dur. J'ai fait un compromis et mis du "LVT" au sous sol (luxury vinyl tiles) vi que c'est ultra mince (très efficace pour le chauffant) et pas trop dur. Attention pas tous les vinyles qui peuvent résister aux planchers chauffants.

I know certain people do regret tile but here's how I see it:
Hallway(s) are a quick walk through, in the dining room you find a spot and sit down, kitchens are mostly tile anyway and you get those gel mats for standing (one in front of the stove and one in front of the sink). Lastly for the living room, unless your intent is to sit/lay down on the floor, you're sitting on a couch so the floor type shouldn't matter. You also have the flexibility to add an area rug later if it's not to your liking.

Maybe because I grew up in mostly tiled homes it doesn't bother me :dunno:

Back