Article: An Abandoned Racetrack In Greater Montreal – Could It Ever Be Saved?

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway-777x425.jpg

https://www.montrealracing.com/wp/w...andonne-en-monteregie-pourrait-il-etre-sauve/

With the closure of Autodrome St-Eustache, racing enthusiasts are wondering what the future holds for their beloved sport in Quebec. Building a racetrack is an insanely expensive endeavor but is there an alternative?

There exists an old racetrack on private property near the town of Bedford, Quebec which is visible on Google Earth. It was called Champion Speedway and was originally constructed as a dirt racing facility for stock cars in the 1960s. Around 1968 it was paved and they even built grand stands to support crowds of up to 4000 people.

The original owner was from Ontario and operated a number of these tracks along with gas stations and garages in the 1960s and 1970s. Unfortunately, he accumulated a lot of debt and some of this property (including Champion Speedway) was auctioned off. The person who bought it is still the owner to this day! He operated it as a scrapyeard.

I spoke with François Choquette who is the owner’s son. He was very happy to talk about the history of the track and invited me to go have a look at it. He also pointed me to the the Stock Car Quebec website where some old photos could be found.

Choquette isn’t sure what will happen with the property but imagines eventually it’ll have to be sold. How cool would it be to crowdfund enough money to clear the trees and restore the track to its original glory? Maybe we could even host a drifting competition.

In reality it’s unlikely that is financially feasible but it’s fun to dream. Here are some old photos of the track during its prime and in its current state.
Thank you to Jacques Beaudry and Carl Prud’Homme who helped with this article.

abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway02.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway03.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway04.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway05.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway06.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway07.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway09.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway10.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway11.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway12.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway13.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway14.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway15.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway16.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway17.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway18.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway19.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway20.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway21.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway22.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway23.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway24.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway25.jpg
abandoned-racetrack-champion-speedway27.jpg

ChampionSpeedwayArticle12Juin1968_1aa.jpg
ChampionSpeedwayPublicite12Juin1968_1aa.jpg
ChampionSpeedwayPublicite12Juin1974_1aa.jpg

Depuis kek mois la qualité des articles MR a décuplée

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Pour une fois je le trouve bien et intéressant cet article même si c'est pas de la grande écriture....
Le sujet lui même est tres cool.

Sûrment qui veux vendre fak il essaie de pimper sont site web. Crée l'illusion que ça marche lol

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Group buy would be good if there would be a lot of land around it for sale, no houses and then buy it all to prevent people from buying near it and then complain about the noise and have it shut down. Expand the track for a variety of use, build a natural sound barrier using all the extra land.... lots of money.

Group buy would be good if there would be a lot of land around it for sale, no houses and then buy it all to prevent people from buying near it and then complain about the noise and have it shut down. Expand the track for a variety of use, build a natural sound barrier using all the extra land.... lots of money.
+1 if you don't own the land around, or it's agricultural and the town is VERY strict on never changing it.. $$

I can only imagine the environmental and similar hoops you would have to go through before redevelopment

Avec des commentaires comme ca Dany doit avoir encore plus le gout de fermer la switch. T'es pas un mange marde d'habitude... c'mon. Il est cool son article. Trouver des vieux spots ou il y a de l'histoire automobile, en ses temps sombres pour notre passion, des découverte comme ça moi ca me fait sourir.

Vient qu'on sait pu si les gens sont sarcastique ou pas... sorry my bad.
Non j'étais sérieux les articles avant je regardais même pas mais depuis un bout c'est intéressant!

p.s. troller c'est vraiment pas mon genre hehe

Non j'étais sérieux les articles avant je regardais même pas mais depuis un bout c'est intéressant!

p.s. troller c'est vraiment pas mon genre hehe

C'est pour ca que j'ai dit ca dans ma première réplique ca me surprenait de ta part. Back on topic!

Back