Garages and Cabanons Fontaine (Nightmare garage build)

Kart72

Legacy Member
Well let me start off by saying that what should have been a very exciting project turned out to be (and still is) a complete nightmare. I hope this post will help any one else from going through what I did.

I finally decided that it was time to build a garage on my property this spring after having waited and saved up for several years. In the interest of time, and the fact that I didn't have much of it I opted to have a local Montreal company build it for me....

Thankfully I had another company (B&B Foundations) do my slab and I am quite pleased with their professionalism and the quality of their work. Now back to Garages and Cabanons Fontaine... I had decided to go with a 18x26 garage with 9'6" walls and a 5/12 roof. I was limited to these dimensions by city bylaws. I chose to go with storage trusses so that I could store a few seasonal items up there when not in use. Unfortunately when the truck showed up it was loaded up with standard trusses. I had to point this out 3 times before the builder finally had a look and agreed that they were in fact the wrong trusses. So he says that they will get the walls up that day and bring the new trusses on Monday. The speed at which these guys slapped the wall sections together was enough to make your head spin (pre fab walls) Not a tape measure, chalk line or level to be seen. Just slapping them together and driving tap cons in to the slab to anchor them. one of the wall sections had been dropped and landed on the tongue of the trailer snapped the top plate clean in two and then just hammered it back and carried on... Here are a few pictures from day one of the build.

VbY8GDC.png

oqzreZ5.jpg

xz1w3J0.jpg

tbd92nb.jpg

So after day one I've got a broken top plate and and 4 crooked walls which look like they were thrown onto the slab and screwed down where they landed.

Next day truck shows up and to my surprise the "new" trusses I was supposed to recieve are actually the standard trusses that they brought the day before, only now they have been modified for storage area. Now I am no Engineer but I am fairly certain you can't just modify trusses without some level of engineering. I bring this up to the builder and he assures me that they are fine and I will receive the engineering documentation for them. so they continue with the build working at a feverish pace with no attention to detail whatsoever.

Here is a photo of the modified truss. they cut the diagonals out and added as second 2x4 in the "storage area"

N3YLxNo.jpg

at the end of day 2 I went out to have a look at what they had done only to find that on many of the areas where the trusses meet the fascia boards had HUGE gaps, in some cases close to an inch!!! it seems that many of the trusses aren't in a straight line leaving huge gaps at one end or the other.

C8MFxBf.jpg

Also noticed that the headers above the door and window sit proud of the studs by over 1/2" in some cases. I told them that this is un acceptable and will make the drywall a nightmare. Their solution....... add some strips of plywood on top of the already proud header and use furring strips on all of the studs to match...

TFiKPAH.jpg

aEOrYGL.jpg

At this point I am so stressed out and fed up I just want this whole experience to be over. Next day they are just installing my Canexel Engineered wood siding and a few other odds and ends to finish up the job. How could they screw that up?

Well it turns out that they don't follow the very specific instructions which state that the Canexel starting strips must be used before the first line of boards goes on. What does Garages and Cabanons Fontaine do? They just drive a bunch of finishing nails through the side of the finished boards.

4VNa3bh.jpg

I had also specifically asked that they first install the trim on the front of the garage as it is most visible so I would like it to be done with full length boards only. What did Garages and Cabanons Fontaine do? They did the front of the garage last and used a bunch of cut boards resulting in more unsightly joints.

gj1u3jg.jpg

Now it should be noted that this construction was done in the first week of June and I am still waiting for engineering documents to confirm that these modified trusses meet the minimum code requirements for my area. This is obviously the issue I am most concerned with. As we all know here, Montreal receives quite a lot of snow, and I'm left with modified trusses of unknown strength on 24" centers and 15/32” (0.438” actual thickness) OSB sheathing. As someone who isn't an expert in construction I decided to put my faith in a company that does this every single day. I really hoped that they would have the customers best interest in mind and take pride in their work. Clearly that wasn't the case.

Last edited:
Damn!!!

I smell small claims or something.

This is ridiculous and botched job

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Damn!!!

I smell small claims or something.

This is ridiculous and botched job

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That’s the plan. Also filed a claim with RBQ, awaiting their input before going to the courts. I can honestly say I have never experienced such terrible customer service and complete lack of competence. I wouldn’t recommend these guy to build a dog house let alone a cabanon or garage.

There are always three sides to these tales. Where they the cheapest? Did you get referrals? Operating under their own RBQ number or subcontractors for the general contractor? Permit from the city ?

4/12 Roof trusses can go 24" centers! Not with 15/32 though...

Edit- looks like what they built you is a scaled up garden shed. Tapcons into the slab

Last edited:
They were not the cheapest, operated under their own RBQ number.

5/12 roof pitch. 15/32” (0.438” actual thickness) OSB.

The issue is that they have taken a truss which I assume has been designed for a 24” OC installation and modified it. You can not modify a truss without an engineering assessment and approval to ensure it still meets its designed load capacity.

Last edited:
There are always three sides to these tales. Where they the cheapest? Did you get referrals? Operating under their own RBQ number or subcontractors for the general contractor? Permit from the city ?

4/12 Roof trusses can go 24" centers! Not with 15/32 though...

Edit- looks like what they built you is a scaled up garden shed. Tapcons into the slab

Yes, I have a permit from the city. Although now the truss design which was approved by the city isn’t actually the truss I have installed. I’ll wait to see what the RBQ says before going back to the city.

And your comment about the scaled up garden shed is exactly how I have been describing it.

I'm not expert, but all I can say is I'm sorry you're going through this. Garage and CABOCHONS Fonatine seems like an appropriate name for these guys.

Wtf the offset of the wall, slab was not square or what?

The two time I hired contractor i them them in avance that I was picky... Each day they have a call to exlain or redo things

We do this all day long in software development... Code review, comment dicuss, redo when needed... Why construction have to be different?

Contractor probably hate me at the end... Lol... I dont care at their price, it need to be professional results... Otherwise i can do better by myself...

The two time I hired contractor i them them in avance that I was picky... Each day they have a call to exlain or redo things

We do this all day long in software development... Code review, comment dicuss, redo when needed... Why construction have to be different?

Contractor probably hate me at the end... Lol... I dont care at their price, it need to be professional results... Otherwise i can do better by myself...

Slab is done extremely well. Roger from B&B foundations did a fantastic job. All dimensions including corner to corner are within 1/8”. The builders were trying to blame the slab but wanted nothing to do with me showing them the dimensions.

Man sorry to hear about this. What did the rep from Cabanon fontaine tell you about all of this?? Im assuming you sent him pictures and all??

Je suis pareil et je ne me gêne pas pour manifester mon mécontentement. Je reste patient et donne une chance mais si ça ne s'améliore pas, c'est : "ok arrêtes tout, reprend tes affaires et donne moi ma clé, c'est terminé pour toi."

Cest sur que ça allonge les travaux mais c'est moins pire que de payer un autre ouvrier pour tout démolir et construire à nouveau.

Tu documentes le tout avec preuves et les dates, très important.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

Man sorry to hear about this. What did the rep from Cabanon fontaine tell you about all of this?? Im assuming you sent him pictures and all??

I've been going back and fourth with them for months. Always going to be taken care of soon, don't worry, etc.... Never any action. I filed a complaint with RBQ and I will have a better idea what the next steps will be after I speak with them.

Okay, here are some picture of the attempted repairs... Lets start with complaint number one. The dropped wall section that suffered a broken top plate and was smashed back "straight" with a hammer.

A scrap piece of what appears to be pressure treated bottom plate (you can see the sill gasket still in place (wish I could say the same about my actual bottom plate....)

Fj8Oy1q.jpg

Here is my actual bottom plate. Sill gasket did fare so well...

JoFebxW.jpg

Anyways back to the top plate repair.

the "repair" piece was cut too short so some failed attempts were made to bring the studs in to meet the bottom plate scrap piece which is now serving as a top plate repair. Unfortunately all of this hammering didn't achieve the desired result and only ended up cracking the stud...

Uiv0YzJ.jpg

R3IkfAW.jpg

idohEqF.jpg

Stay tuned for more. Lots more...

Did you paid the full amount? If so you probably won't hear from them anytime soon. Send them a formal letter tomorrow and give them 10 days to take action or else.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

Back