Importer véhicule RHD moins de 25 ans, convertion LHD?

I've seen a couple of evo 6 & GTRs in DE with lhd conversion, wonder if those would pass...

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Getting titles for stuff in many states is easy but doesnt make it legal at the Federal level either

25yrs for RHD in Quebec but you can still legally import it to Canada just not legally drive it in QC. SAAQ will issue you a storage registration or non conformity one. I've only ever seen 2 of these. One is for a TVR Cerbera that is sitting in a garage not far where I type this. He wanted to swap it to LHD but decided to wait it out.

There are exceptions
A) Have an Xplate or someone lets you use one
B) Swap Vins off the NA car which is illegal but there are some that have done this.
C) It might slip through the cracks at provincial inspection/ SAAQ if it has a 17 digit vin... Yea EU and NA use different identifiers but they are still 17 digits with the first 1-3-4 indent
D) Recently moved from another with your car or are here temporarily
E) Need it for speciality work like a post man type setup.

You can thank ticounes in JDMs ruining it for everyone

love your patience, you've repeating it many times.

B), is illegal, but having a euro swapped car on a N/A chassis is legal...?

i.e. taking a N/A chassis and swapping all the euro drive train, including body panels is legal. Just like a ''highly modified car'' . imo having a OEM euro car with swapped vin could be safer.

I do remember JDM era, If iirc, there was not much ticoune in % of imports. Most owner were taking great care of their car. ticoune concentration was on domestic rusty shitbox.

wow je nee pensais jamais que ça se faisait, je ne pensais même pas que quelqu'un aurait réussi à avoir une réponse! Ça veut dire que j'aurais pu faire approuver le processus légalement! Hâte de voir si dans les faits ça va bel et bien se passer comme ça et si l'ingénieur va vouloir signer a la fin si quelqu'un l'essaye.

Par contre si l ingénieur est borné et signe pas t es foutu...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

i.e. taking a N/A chassis and swapping all the euro drive train, including body panels is legal. Just like a ''highly modified car'' . imo having a OEM euro car with swapped vin could be safer.

I do remember JDM era, If iirc, there was not much ticoune in % of imports. Most owner were taking great care of their car. ticoune concentration was on domestic rusty shitbox.
It's illegal to swap vins but there are people who have done it. Just haven't been caught yet

You get a RHD Civic let's say, use vin off NA car. This is what I mean

Pour Repondre a votre question.

Oui c'est plaquable un JDM qui a 15 ans et lhd

la raison est la suivante: il y a beaucoup de pays comme dans le moyent orient ont des jdm mais sont seulement legal comme volant a gauche.

jai importer a date 3 vehicule lhd deja convertie je suis aller a 3 different place d'inspection et eux meme m'ont sortie la meme chose.

"si c'etais deja fait avant l'importation et quelle a ete declaree le volant a gauche le gouvernement n'ont pas le droit de tempecher de le rouler puisque il respecte les norme sois 15ans lhd ou 25 rhd.

Mais si on le fais apres l'importation, la tu auras besoin d'inspection a l'ingienerie.

j'espere que sa pourra aider.

I wonder if there's a loophole with this one, as I've seen a QC-plated 2014-ish Volkswagen Fox in Montreal. Imagine if you could track down someone who is moving from another country and qualifies to bring their car over, but chooses not to. Could you technically buy a car from this person from the country they're travelling from? They'd be importing it into Canada (as it's theirs) and sells it to you the moment they 'can' (I assume there's a minimum wait time or something...)

Yea its do-able but I am unsure of the procedure for racecars etc. oldschoolz would know more about that. Like I said at the IMPORTATION level it falls under Federal Law not provincial. Be lucky Transport Canada is pretty lax with the 15yr old rule vs 25yrs in USA and you need to still make it somewhat compliant

See link below for race cars. Basically you need to declare that the car is to be used on closed course competition only (i.e. racetrack), driving in a field is not considered an off road vehicle. Pay tax on the value of the vehicle and it's yours. You need to clean it for contaminants like soil, they are very strict on this. Usually people make 2 contracts. An "actual" sale contract which has the full amount paid, and "another contract" with a reduced amount to pay less tax on import. But you can't take the piss and write like 10k for a 300k car.

Present a copy of the FIA (or other) homologation stating the chassis number and that it's a competition vehicle only.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-12-1-eng.html

The cars can't stay here for more than a certain amount of time or your stay in Canada up to 2 years I believe. Transport Canada keeps pretty good tabs on whats around even at the diplomatic level. There will be a block on it when trying to transfer the ownership.. Its either ship it back to origin or scrap it locally. Then again stuff might fall through the cracks, not saying it doesn't happen but rare. There are lots of diplomat cars driving around that aren't sold here on regular plates or CD/CC . A good example, friends of ours are Irish Diplomats. They have been posted to Argentina, Mexico and Now NYC, their next positing will likely be Ottawa in 2 years. They have taken their personal car to all the postings, they are issued local plates. It's an MK5 Polo diesel... USA is being a bit annoying with the paper work though, its been stuck in Newark for a few months.

Correct they are only here for a set time.

Yes you can do that, however for some cars it would be better for resale value to have the original VIN. think of an original M5 vs a 525i with all the bits from an M5. It's still a 525i at the end of the day in a collector's eyes.

Also why go through all the hassle when you can buy a genuinely clean car from Europe.

It's illegal to swap vins but there are people who have done it. Just haven't been caught yet

You get a RHD Civic let's say, use vin off NA car. This is what I mean

yes I know, but imo completing a drivetrain swap on a N/A chassis to euro spec legally, could be more risky than having the euro car all OEM and change vin illegally.

''risky'' aka : missing parts, wrong alignment, bad torque specs, bad wiring conversion, etc.

yes I know, but imo completing a drivetrain swap on a N/A chassis to euro spec legally, could be more risky than having the euro car all OEM and change vin illegally.

''risky'' aka : missing parts, wrong alignment, bad torque specs, bad wiring conversion, etc.
So basically almost every "project" in Quebec

Why in Quebec specifically?

Well he is kind of right. Quebec (and Canada / USA too !) are very relaxed about engine swaps, modifications etc. so it leaves people to do whatever they want and cheap shit from china ends up on the road. I mean no one wants chineese cars on the roads because they don't pass the crash tests, why would you want the suspension or the wheels from one ??

For example in Germany if you want to change the wheels on your car you need to have a document from the wheel manufacturer stating they passed a load test to the same standard than OEM. Even putting OEM wheels from say another spec M3 (CSL for example) on a normal M3.

Then it's entered in your car's "passport" for your TuV inspection (mandatory inspection)

Same for changing tire sizes, coilovers, etc.

Well he is kind of right. Quebec (and Canada / USA too !) are very relaxed about engine swaps, modifications etc. so it leaves people to do whatever they want and cheap shit from china ends up on the road. I mean no one wants chineese cars on the roads because they don't pass the crash tests, why would you want the suspension or the wheels from one ??

For example in Germany if you want to change the wheels on your car you need to have a document from the wheel manufacturer stating they passed a load test to the same standard than OEM. Even putting OEM wheels from say another spec M3 (CSL for example) on a normal M3.

Then it's entered in your car's "passport" for your TuV inspection (mandatory inspection)

This.

Considering that very little accidents happen due to poor wheel and suspension setups on the roads, is it worth the hassle and cost to go the German way? If we had Autobahns sure, otherwise maybe not.

Considering that very little accidents happen due to poor wheel and suspension setups on the roads, is it worth the hassle and cost to go the German way? If we had Autobahns sure, otherwise maybe not.

Do you have any data ?

Car inspections in Quebec wouldn't do any bad I think...

Back