Report: EVs outsell vehicles with manual transmissions in US

kahos

Electric vehicles still represent a small share of the overall automotive market in the US, however they are apparently more popular than vehicles purchased with a manual transmission.

Third-quarter delivery data analyzed by JD Power indicates just 1.1 percent of vehicles are still purchased with a manual gearbox in the country, while battery-powered vehicles represent nearly two percent of sales, according to
Driving
"[Manual transmissions] have been on a nearly century-long decline and while no rational person thinks the trend will ever reverse, it was interesting to note that only this year, after nearly a decade in market, EVs were able to surpass last century's dying technology," said JD Power VP Tyson Jominy.

https://leftlanenews.com/2019/11/01/ev-sales-outpace-manual-transmissions/

I'd be curious to see the stats in Quebec, where shoppers have historically been quite fond of cheap compacts with manual transmissions and are now moving to EVs at what's likely one of the fastest paces in North America.

I've got a 6 speed manual and am wondering what the engineers were smoking when they came up with the gear ratios. It drives like a 4 speed with two ridiculously tall overdrives.

The comparison makes 0 sense

I don't think it's meant to be a direct comparison as much as it is a commentary on where the market is and where's it's headed.

People have strong opinions on "saving the manuals" but the market simply doesn't care. As much as we all "know it" it's interesting to have this quantified.

I don't think it's meant to be a direct comparison as much as it is a commentary on where the market is and where's it's headed.

People have strong opinions on "saving the manuals" but the market simply doesn't care. As much as we all "know it" it's interesting to have this quantified.

That people want EVs ...even enthusiasts because they still need to have daily drivers? Like I said this comparison makes zero sense as you can't get EVs with a manual gearbox and EVs have become mass market now. So people are still buying manuals in little numbers but if anything this shows EVs are selling well..

It still makes zero sense. There are virtually no manual cars to purchase other than unpractical sports cars in the US, EV will outsell manual since there are no manuals left to buy anymore.

That people want EVs ...even enthusiasts because they still need to have daily drivers? Like I said this comparison makes zero sense as you can't get EVs with a manual gearbox and EVs have become mass market now. So people are still buying manuals in little numbers but if anything this shows EVs are selling well..
You make zero sense.

It still makes zero sense. There are virtually no manual cars to purchase other than unpractical sports cars in the US, EV will outsell manual since there are no manuals left to buy anymore.

There are virtually zero EV in the US other than unpractical overpriced cars.

This was not meant to be a worthy/ direct comparison. It's as apples to oranges as it gets and it's fine.
Different metrics are tracked. Pitting one against the other provides additional (historical) context for discussion's sake more than anything else.

According to JD powers, this is the first year that EVs AKA "the baby boomer car enthusiast's kryptonite" have overtaken "the holy grail of man and machine synergy"

We all knew one was on the way up and another in decline. This just provides additional perspective in this market as of this moment in time.

yet. (i hope. fingers crossed anyways)

Brammo avait fait une moto électrique manuelle 6 vitesses et pas mal tous les reviews s'entendaient pour dire que ça ne servait à rien.

il y en a des avantages à avoir des rapports de vitesse avec des moteurs électriques, mais l'avantage n'est pas aussi flagrante qu'avant un moteur à combustion, surtout avec un moteur électrique très puissant.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/electrical-motors-torques-d_651.html
electric_motor_current_torque.png

...but personally, the thing I'm looking forward to the MOST is a concept in application that I've seen where a manufacturer takes a regular gas-powered engine and manual transmission layout, and fits an electric motor between the two. The driver can choose between 100% gas, 100% electric or a combination of the two that makes the most out of both all while still giving full control through the manual transmission. I'm sure there's a reason it hasn't seen production yet, but I'd really like to know why manufacturers don't offer a sort of electric manual performance option on production cars.

I would be first in line to buy one.

Last edited:
il y en a des avantages à avoir des rapports de vitesse avec des moteurs électriques, mais l'avantage n'est pas aussi flagrante qu'avant un moteur à combustion, surtout avec un moteur électrique très puissant.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/electrical-motors-torques-d_651.html
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/docs/documents/651/electric_motor_current_torque.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zBFeAPSpbM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZjQjQUjgPs

...but personally, the thing I'm looking forward to the MOST is a concept in application that I've seen where a manufacturer takes a regular gas-powered engine and manual transmission layout, and fits an electric motor between the two. The driver can choose between 100% gas, 100% electric or a combination of the two that makes the most out of both all while still giving full control through the manual transmission. I'm sure there's a reason it hasn't seen production yet, but I'd really like to know why manufacturers don't offer a sort of electric manual performance option on production cars.

I would be first in line to buy one.

Va t'acheter une CR-Z alors. C'est ce qui se rapproche le plus de ça. Tu peux pas être 100% électrique malheureusement mais si Honda avait voulu en vendre pour vrai, ils l'auraient annoncé et peut être qu'ils auraient fini par améliorer le produit.

That's not true, here's few:
Mazda Miata
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
Honda Fit
Chevy Trax
VW Golf
VW Jetta
Ford Mustang
Chevy Camaro
Dodge Challenger
BMW 2 serie
BMW M4
Subaru BRZ
Mazda 3
Toyota Tacoma
Nissan 370z
Jeep Wrangler
and much more.

J’avais une GTI 2017 manuel 6 vitesses que j’ai transférer en juin et bon nombre d’acheteurs potentiel ont été éliminés car ils ne conduisaient pas manuel. Sad.

Maintenant je roule en Tesla Model 3 et je ne m’ennuie aucunement de la transmission manuel.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

EV sales are directly linked to the aging population. It's a trendy baby boomer thing to own. Do you know any baby boomer over 55 that still drives standard?

The trend will die as baby boomers...die.

Yes but they're enthusiasts with 30 year old cars..

EV sales are directly linked to the aging population. It's a trendy baby boomer thing to own. Do you know any baby boomer over 55 that still drives standard?

The trend will die as baby boomers...die.
Mon père, ma mère, 3 de mes tantes...

J’avais une GTI 2017 manuel 6 vitesses que j’ai transférer en juin et bon nombre d’acheteurs potentiel ont été éliminés car ils ne conduisaient pas manuel. Sad.

Maintenant je roule en Tesla Model 3 et je ne m’ennuie aucunement de la transmission manuel.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

J'ai passé d'une R 2017 à ma Model 3 mais ma R était DSG.. Plus proche et aucun regrets aussi. Version?

j'ai hâte de voir ce que tu vas penser après un hiver en ayant pu le AWD (me semble la tienne est RWD?)

Back