Which setup do you think is the most reliable?

fabchef

Hi guys, i was curious to get your take on which of these setups you think is more reliable overall AND as an all year long vehicle (winter too):
1. Longitudinal engine, rwd
2. Longitudinal engine, awd
3. Transverse engine, fwd
4. Transverse engine, awd
If i had to choose i would say #1. Straight forward layout, less things to break, no transfer case to deal with too and better balanced.

It's all about the engineering behind the setup.

All of these made by FCA could be crap but made by Toyota they could be reliable.

#waitingfortoyotaflamingandFCAwhiteknight

Last edited:
Hi guys, i was curious to get your take on which of these setups you think is more reliable overall AND as an all year long vehicle (winter too):
1. Longitudinal engine, rwd
2. Longitudinal engine, awd
3. Transverse engine, fwd
4. Transverse engine, awd
If i had to choose i would say #1. Straight forward layout, less things to break, no transfer case to deal with too and better balanced.

I have a longitudinal rwd and i would trust my other car (fwd transversal) 1000 time over the the rwd one, espacially in the winter.

one is simple design, the other one is over engineered... guess which one.

Sorry, forgot to mention, auto trans.

Labatt..what rwd car do you have?

I grew up learning to drive on a big rwd car and loved it! I find it gives you a better indication of the road condition.
Fab

If I had to pick one I would probably vote for longitudinal and AWD as being my preference of choice. But that isn't to say that I haven't driven transverse setups that weren't gems.

I'm sure someone smarter than me will have an answer, but I don't know if you can have a full time AWD vehicle that is transversely mounted.

Sorry, forgot to mention, auto trans.

Labatt..what rwd car do you have?

I grew up learning to drive on a big rwd car and loved it! I find it gives you a better indication of the road condition.
Fab

Mercedes c230 2005 6mt

A FWD corolla with the base motor and auto transaxle will likely be more reliable than a ford with longitudinal TT V6 that features direct/port injection and a 10 speed auto. ( or worse, a diesel turbo V6 with a timing belt and all the emissions equipment)

It comes down to the vehicle's purpose, design priorities and manufacturer's ethos more than the actual layout.

The longitudinal / rwd layout would be the "easiest" to implement in most large vehicles, but may bring some other less than desirable compromises that makes these comparisons a moot point.

Back