Are early F30 4-Cylinders really timebombs?

Apparently the pre-2015 N20 equipped F30 cars (320i, 328i) have bad reputation on the BMW forums. I've read that the timing chain tensioners that can let go at any second on a early F30.
Is there any truth to this - or just classic maintenance fear for german cars? Anyone have some more experience?

Si tu es de ceux qui croient qu'il suffit de bien entretenir une allemande pour qu'elle dure 30 ans vas y. Si tu es de ceux qui croient que les allemandes sont des ticking bomb en général, passe ton tour.

12 and 13s are the worst. Most cases is the oil pump chain/sprocket that fails but now we are starting to see.broken timing chain guides as the engine ages. The tensioners themselves are fine (same tensioner being used for the last 15 years) it's the slack in the chain aka no longer able to hold tension

What to look for? Excessive rattling noise on cold start. The engine really sounding rattling, Vanos codes/timing codes. Open the oil cap and if you can physical move the chain or guide it's already broken and pieces of the guide are at the bottom of the pan.

BMW extended the warranty for certain N20/N26 chains

That engine was designed to run the 80000kms warranty period and not an inch more.
Go for something with a late n55

Then again, 15000kms oil change intervals are definitely helping the N20 case.

That engine was designed to run the 80000kms warranty period and not an inch more.
Go for something with a late n55

Then again, 15000kms oil change intervals are definitely helping the N20 case.
N55s will need rod bearing replacement even on stock boost.

Service intervals is 12k. Which is perfect fine. It's not an oil or oiling issue. The oil pump gears get/got ground up by the chain. Timing system guide breaks, stretches chain a bit. These turbo 4pots are high strung. They needed dual row chains

Also what's happening is you can purchase X1/X3/ F30 for under or just around 20k. It's very appealing to many people who otherwise would get a Civic or Corolla. So while they could afford the payment ... The maintence or wear items becomes a problem... Especially in regards to the timing system...

Seen enough of them. I have a block at the shop I want to make a table from

Last edited:
don't know why german cars have a tendency to have weak timing systems or majors engine issues.

The early audi V8 4.2, Vanos and chain guides on S54 and S62, and now this.... pretty sure germans can do better. Unless it's done on purpose.

After you do a couple it's pretty easy. That being said the VAG 2.0T is easier to work on chain wise.

I just want to know why rod bearings are regular maintenance on BMWs

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

N55s will need rod bearing replacement even on stock boost.

Service intervals is 12k. Which is perfect fine. It's not an oil or oiling issue. The oil pump gears get/got ground up by the chain. Timing system guide breaks, stretches chain a bit. These turbo 4pots are high strung. They needed dual row chains

Well I'd rather an N55 which may have rod bearing issue or may not, some day, after 120k+ kms, than an N20 that will require an engine swap for sure.

So far my impression of the n55 is just amazing. The effortlessness, combined with quietness, fuel economy and smoothness is crazy, for a DI engine.
Also both in the N55 and the N63 the service interval is 15k (I do it every 7k), I don't have first hand experience in the N20 though.

Well I'd rather an N55 which may have rod bearing issue or may not, some day, after 120k+ kms, than an N20 that will require an engine swap for sure.

So far my impression of the n55 is just amazing. The effortlessness, combined with quietness, fuel economy and smoothness is crazy, for a DI engine.
Also both in the N55 and the N63 the service interval is 15k (I do it every 7k), I don't have first hand experience in the N20 though.
Ok

Back