2020 Formula 1 Official Thread

What are the lap times like at Mugello vs. MotoGP?

There are some really fast corners, must be so fun for the drivers.

1:45 for MotoGP. Brundle was saying straight line speed is about the same.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

A 1000cc gp bike vs a race car(2.5 X weight) with the same motor is 8-10 seconds a lap slower at either Tremblant or Calabogie , just to give you perspective. Bikes can't brake as fast, corner or carry the same speed out of a corner. They lose on contact patch and aero.

A 1000cc gp bike vs a race car(2.5 X weight) with the same motor is 8-10 seconds a lap slower at either Tremblant or Calabogie , just to give you perspective. Bikes can't brake as fast, corner or carry the same speed out of a corner. They lose on contact patch and aero.

I know! Used to do track days there.

But thanks for your post it's informative

I have done a couple of days there myself. I prefer Tremblant. Point was that even with the same motor a bike will never be faster on a road course.

Some of the corners at Mugello are flat with these cars. Impossible to do with a MotoGP bike with a contact patch the width of about 2-3 toonies vs 1 foot at each corner, no downforce, about a 670-700hp deficit and a limited lean angle. Power to weight now favours a bike because of the astonishing size/weight gain of an F1 car, around 350lbs heavier than the last V10 of 2005 but still not enough to overcome the downforce and enormous mechanical grip these cars have.

Furthermore, straight line speed is not the same. Lewis being the only one to hit 320kph and that is with DRS, MotoGP top speed is around 350-355kph

Bottas did nothing wrong. They orhers should have anticipated it given how long the straight is

Correct.

And why was Valtteri still weaving around when the green flag was waving and boards were flashing green??
Because he can control the start until the line. It's perfectly legal to do so. Green just means the track is clear but you can't pass until you cross the line. He did nothing wrong the back of the pack fell asleep

Back