2020 Formula 1 Official Thread

Still amazed at how quickly everyone that had be were there.
Grosjean life was in the hands of that 2inch dent on the front pillar of the halo, as well as the tub.
8 of 9 lives used as the say
Wouldn’t be surprised if he calls it quits... 3 children...

That was an inferno, more than just fuel lines. Tank was likely punctured.
Someone on sky said it was the 2-3l in the filler neck. Brundle and Chandok were like yea sure.... The fuel cell was compromised slightly but mostly intact

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

J’ai de la misère à comprendre comment il a fait pour passer dans la barrière et s’en sortir avec des brûlures. Comment ça il n’a pas fini en linguini?

C’est fou

J’ai de la misère à comprendre comment il a fait pour passer dans la barrière et s’en sortir avec des brûlures. Comment ça il n’a pas fini en linguini?

C’est fou

I guess the impact wasn't enough to knock him out or unconscious. That's the work of the halo and HANS device keeping his head from bouncing around. Also lucky not to have broken a limb. But even with that, the fire was out pretty fast. When Berger crashed in at Imola the impact knocked him out (no HANS back then) and he just sat there burning in the car. Miracle for him the marshals got there very fast and the fire was out in 15 seconds but he still suffered a concussion, burns and smoke inhalation.

I guess the impact wasn't enough to knock him out or unconscious. That's the work of the halo and HANS device keeping his head from bouncing around. Also lucky not to have broken a limb. But even with that, the fire was out pretty fast. When Berger crashed in at Imola the impact knocked him out (no HANS back then) and he just sat there burning in the car. Miracle for him the marshals got there very fast and the fire was out in 15 seconds but he still suffered a concussion, burns and smoke inhalation.

It's one of those situations where a compounding of factors, not just one are responsible for the outcome. The fact that the car split in two, was favorable. The fact that the cockpit broke through the barrier instead of being stopped by it, was also favorable. In this case, the halo was a savior as well. Quick intervention from the medical car (imagine if it was at turn 10) etc, etc...

I'm very happy that GRO is ok given the circumstances. When the crash happened, we all saw the flames instantly going off. Which is highly unusual. The producers kept on not showing what was happening at the crash site. Which was worrisome to me. I was afraid that a gruesome scene was the reason. After a long while, the producers started showing replays of the crash which was a relief for one and satisfied my curiosity for two.

I'm calling massive BS on F1 trying to neg the fact that the fuel cell went out, protecting its integrity: Brawn trying to be like: "oh it's probably 1-2kgs of fuel that burst into flames only"

The fuel cell is directly behind the driver's back:

upsaub.jpg

I don't see much of anything left behind the drivers seat on what's left of the tub:

075b3e511021ce7503b81b9f2164c0cb3c50660f.webp

Romain-Grosjean-crash-PA.jpg

It's one of those situations where a compounding of factors, not just one are responsible for the outcome. The fact that the car split in two, was favorable. The fact that the cockpit broke through the barrier instead of being stopped by it, was also favorable. In this case, the halo was a savior as well. Quick intervention from the medical car (imagine if it was at turn 10) etc, etc...

I'm very happy that GRO is ok given the circumstances. When the crash happened, we all saw the flames instantly going off. Which is highly unusual. The producers kept on not showing what was happening at the crash site. Which was worrisome to me. I was afraid that a gruesome scene was the reason. After a long while, the producers started showing replays of the crash which was a relief for one and satisfied my curiosity for two.

Exactly. Let's face it, the world saw a miracle today. And not the only time I've seen a car split in half and the driver walks away. Indy has had several. Kevin Cogan, Mark Dismore, Mark Blundell. McNish in Suzuka also passed right through the Armco, Caffi in Monaco was split in two. Donnelly in Barcelona. There was also a Ferrari 333SP that was split in half. Everyone once in a while we see a miracle, today was one of those days.

I agree that he did heroics to get out of the car and walk away like that - halo saved his life and stuff. We definitely witnessed a miracle - I was watching the race live and I thought for sure they'd stop the race and not restart because of death.

However Grosjean is far from the safest driver on the grid. Everyone is ignoring the fact that he cut across the track blindly and could've taken Kvyat out with him.

That is a driver that should've retired last year at best but he has probably the best agent in the sport.

He will not return to F1 I don't think in the two weeks left to this season he will have time to heal both physically and mentally.

As much as I'd like to see Hulkenberg again, Haas are affiliated with Ferrari and not Racing Point/Mercedes so they will probably use their own test driver which is Fittipaldi.

Covid is really spreading like crazy in the paddock. Most teams already have their B/C rotation in place. Luckily it's getting close to the end of the season. It would be ultimate 2020 if they get hulk and he wins the race. Bottas would.be shattered .They got Stoffel as reserve driver, Russell (but would have to pay Williams) or Hulk.

If Hulk gets the drive, it would be interesting to get his input on how the Merc is compared to RP.

Back