2020 Formula 1 Official Thread

I have nothing against bottas, just seems like a short sighted move to keep him, which is surprising from Merc

There are rumours of Vettel possibly going to aston martin alongside Stroll next season.
Could be interesting with the car getting better and better...

So Vettel will go to another team where he will be #2 and at AM it will be way more clear ?
I imagine him saying: Yes, but Lawrence son, has privileges in this team.

So Vettel will go to another team where he will be #2 and at AM it will be way more clear ?
I imagine him saying: Yes, but Lawrence son, has privileges in this team.

Pretty much anywhere he goes right now he will be #2...or #1 in a very shitty team. All depends if he wants to remain in F1 or not.
But besides, if Stroll doesn't pick up the pace Vettel won't need to worry about #1/#2....

Pretty much anywhere he goes right now he will be #2...or #1 in a very shitty team. All depends if he wants to remain in F1 or not.
But besides, if Stroll doesn't pick up the pace Vettel won't need to worry about #1/#2....

Stroll is down there with Grosjean and Magnussen at the field's bottom.

Shall we play an F1 drivers ranking game?

The question, is the best driver the best driver or is the best driver just whoever happens to have the best car in the field that year?

A few good examples are Kimi or Jenson Button that won the F1 championship when there was no clear domination from one team.

Is Lewis really that good? For example, don't forget that he LOST the championship to Rosberg with the same car.

How about Schumi? He dominated with Ferrari but they had the best car and he was let pass more than a handful of time by team orders (remind you of anyone?)

In my view Kimi or Button winning with a strong but not necessarily dominating car (Ferrari and Brawn) is worth more than Vettel's 4 WC with the RB that was light years ahead of everyone else.

Right now the strongest driver is clearly Max, I think that given the same car as Lewis he would beat him. Don't get me wrong, Lewis is a phenomenal driver but Max is younger and quicker.

The same way Leclerc > Vettel right now.

Worst drivers of the pack? Giovinazzi? Latifi? Stroll? They're definitely down there. Russel IMHO is underrated. Give him a better seat and he will surprise many.

The question, is the best driver the best driver or is the best driver just whoever happens to have the best car in the field that year?

A few good examples are Kimi or Jenson Button that won the F1 championship when there was no clear domination from one team.

Is Lewis really that good? For example, don't forget that he LOST the championship to Rosberg with the same car.

How about Schumi? He dominated with Ferrari but they had the best car and he was let pass more than a handful of time by team orders (remind you of anyone?)

In my view Kimi or Button winning with a strong but not necessarily dominating car (Ferrari and Brawn) is worth more than Vettel's 4 WC with the RB that was light years ahead of everyone else.

Right now the strongest driver is clearly Max, I think that given the same car as Lewis he would beat him. Don't get me wrong, Lewis is a phenomenal driver but Max is younger and quicker.

Worst drivers of the pack? Giovinazzi? Latifi? Stroll? They're definitely down there. Russel IMHO is underrated. Give him a better seat and he will surprise many.

Pretty much.

I have nothing against Ham, but I think he isn't the best of the field. As soon as things start getting close he either starts pushing people off the track, and/or generally playing dirty. Nothing necessarily wrong with that - it's a very competitive sport, as long as you don't cross the line too much. It's easy (relatively) to put the best laps together if your car is so well done that it throws no surprises at you during quali, or during the race.
I think the best drivers on the current grid are VER, LEC, RIC. Russel may be underrated but he has yet to show it. The only information we have is that he was faster than Kubica when Kubica was getting old/used/half broken parts on his car.

Est-ce qu'il y en a ici qui on vu le tour de qualif sous la pluie de la fin de semaine dernière. Si vous doutez de son talent ... ça vaut la peine d'aller voir.

Il a SURCLASSÉ tout le monde et pas d'une petite marge et on sait très bien que sous la pluie (et surtout le torrent qu'il y avait samedi matin) les voitures tombent tous pas mal égal. Ce tour restera longtemps dans l'histoire de la F1 (un tour à la Senna)

Je suis d'accord avec vous que VER, LEC, RIC, RUSSEL sont exceptionnels mais HAM oui il a toujours eu la voiture la plus rapide du lot, mais il a pas fait un VET de lui avec ces erreurs énormes (à des moments importants) et a pas mal été toujours stable malgré l'âge certain diront.

Pour moi, c'est un grand pilote pour sa gestion de course, douceur sur les pneus, réussi à être bon autant en Qualif qu'en course

MSC was the real deal. Everyone remembers his Ferrari domination but his first two championships were with Benneton. 95 could have went either way. Hamilton is the real deal as well. VET got stupid luckily landing at RB. HAM is the better driver out of the two.

MSC was the real deal. Everyone remembers his Ferrari domination but his first two championships were with Benneton. 95 could have went either way. Hamilton is the real deal as well. VET got stupid luckily landing at RB. HAM is the better driver out of the two.

MSC utilisait parfois des stratégies douteuses contre ses concurrents ... il jouait pas aussi "fair play" que Hamilton. Et les coéquipiers de MSC était vraiment la pour nuire aux autres pilotes pour l'aider.

Yeah I don't think anyone is arguing that HAM is not as good as VET. It's clear as day he is better but he did make mistakes on the Rosberg championship year though.

Unlike VET though, he learned from the mistakes.

You have to have a personal grudge against Hamilton to not admit he is one of the best right now and has been at the top of the list for the past 10 years...

Lewis Hamilton is unquestionably the most overrated driver in the modern era. This is a guy who's been in the unusual position of having a race winning/championship car since entering F1 and never having anything less. Even the greats Senna/Schumi/Prost/Nigel/Lauda/Alonso had to struggle in the midfield with sub-par privateer equipment and in the case of Senna, a dangerous car.

His title in 2008 was total luck that was decided at the line in a race he did not dominate. All his results come from the hybrid Mercedes domination of the worst era in Formula 1 history in terms of competition and driver skill. Nothing even comes close. Debating if Vettel is better is moot, if Vettel was in the Mercedes since 2014 the results wouldn't be much different than Hamilton's.

Lewis Hamilton is unquestionably the most overrated driver in the modern era. This is a guy who's been in the unusual position of having a race winning/championship car since entering F1 and never having anything less. Even the greats Senna/Schumi/Prost/Nigel/Lauda/Alonso had to struggle in the midfield with sub-par privateer equipment and in the case of Senna, a dangerous car.

His title in 2008 was total luck that was decided at the line in a race he did not dominate. All his results come from the hybrid Mercedes domination of the worst era in Formula 1 history in terms of competition and driver skill. Nothing even comes close. Debating if Vettel is better is moot, if Vettel was in the Mercedes since 2014 the results wouldn't be much different than Hamilton's.

Pretty much my thoughts.

I don't dislike Hamilton at all, I think he's fine. I do think that when he's being pushed up too close he start playing dirty a little too soon. Then when he isn't he talks all about evening out the chances of the rest of the field to have a true competition etc etc. A bit hypocritical imo.

When Michael Schumacher won his consecutive titles, he dominated and Ferrari dominated constructor titles.
When Sebastian Vettel won his titles, he dominated and Red Bull dominated constructor titles.
When Lewis Hamilton won his titles, he dominated and Mercedes dominated constructor titles. But don't forget, his 2008 title was in a car that did NOT dominate the season, and please don't bring up "luck" for an entire season to explain this.

People simply don't like his attitude so they don't give him the credit he deserves. He's not my all time favorite driver, but you can't deny he is part of the best. If he isn't because "his car dominates", well then remove the others from the list too. Don't forget they all had team mates with similar cars they were able to beat most of the time....

When Michael Schumacher won his consecutive titles, he dominated and Ferrari dominated constructor titles.
When Sebastian Vettel won his titles, he dominated and Red Bull dominated constructor titles.
When Lewis Hamilton won his titles, he dominated and Mercedes dominated constructor titles. But don't forget, his 2008 title was in a car that did NOT dominate the season, and please don't bring up "luck" for an entire season to explain this.

People simply don't like his attitude so they don't give him the credit he deserves. He's not my all time favorite driver, but you can't deny he is part of the best. If he isn't because "his car dominates", well then remove the others from the list too. Don't forget they all had team mates with similar cars they were able to beat most of the time....

So according to you...Ruebens would have won 5 titles in a row and Webber was good enough to win 4 in a row as Vettel's teammate since they 'had the best car'? Don't think so chief. This was the era where actually driver skill played a much bigger role than it does today. Vettel had Alonso to deal with in a competitive car those years and his titles were hard fought. You want car domination? A Mercedes has won 91 out of 122 races since the hybrid era. No period in history even comes close.

So according to you...Ruebens would have won 5 titles in a row and Webber was good enough to win 4 in a row as Vettel's teammate since they 'had the best car'? Don't think so chief. This was the era where actually driver skill played a much bigger role than it does today. Vettel had Alonso to deal with in a competitive car those years and his titles were hard fought. You want car domination? A Mercedes has won 91 out of 122 races since the hybrid era. No period in history even comes close.

Vettel won 2 of his 4 titles with a gap of over 100 points..... Hamilton never had that much of a gap.

But yeah....Hamilton had it easier.....

I'm not a Vettel fan by the way but I'm capable of saying he's part of the best (despite recent years) just as Hamilton is part of the best as well.

Hamilton is the best late braker... after all the other ones.

VER est surprenamment talentueux et a beaucoup mûri. Pas le cas de Leclerc comme il l'a si bien démontré le week-end passé..

Norris a de la hargne, il va monter en grade.. pkoi pas chez Ferrari et Vettel chez Mclaren???

VER est surprenamment talentueux et a beaucoup mûri. Pas le cas de Leclerc comme il l'a si bien démontré le week-end passé..

Tu oublies que malgré qu'ils aient le même âge, VER a 3 ans d'experience en F1 de plus que LEC...

VER a fait des conneries jusqu'a tout recemment encore donc on peut les comparer selon moi.

Norris a de la hargne, il va monter en grade.. pkoi pas chez Ferrari et Vettel chez Mclaren???

Ric just dropped his shoey.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F07%2F01%2F09%2F59%2F0107_ricciardo_env.jpg

Back