The Game Changers

Snail

Banned
Of course, I take every bit of information with a grain of salt regardless of where I read it or who I hear it from. But I'm genuinely curious about plant-based diets. Up until today, my health has never been a priority for me. Really. I have an office job, do zero exercise, and casually eat meat, vegetables, some fast food & chips, some alcohol, some water...all with great irregularity. Some weeks I eat really well, others I eat like complete shit. And that's been ok I guess.

But lately, at age 30, 5'11" @ 185 lbs, I look at myself in the mirror, and I can't help but think I need to start taking better care of myself. And last night during a new years party, I had a discussion with my cousin and his girlfriend (who are pretty damn fit) about food, and to my surprise, they're mostly vegetarian (and actually exercise, unlike me...) They told me to watch this, and since I'm genuinely curious, I did.

What do you think?

shitty documentary full of false informations. When you watch a documentary that ONLY shows you the good side of something, you should already be on your guard. Also, when you know that James Cameron and his wife runs plant-based school and any related vegan diet company it should also trigger an alarm.

A plant-based diet is not better for health than an omnivorous diet, especially for athletes. It can actually be worst in most case if the person is not well informed. If it was the best for sports, every sports athletes would be doing it right now. Performance doesn't give a crap about what's populare, it gives a crap about performance.

I suggest you listen to the Joe rogan experience with Chris Kresser that debunk this documentary completely.

I got nothing against the vegan dogma, but someone should not do it for health reasons, because it's not good for health in the long term. A carnivorous diet is not better, extremes are in any case.

lots of people always try take the nutrition way to be healthy which is the easiest one. But exercising is the first thing you should do to get healthy.

You mean Hollywood & Co pushing an agenda? I'm shocked I tell you.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I fully 2nd everything Cassard says, but I would like to add something.

The absolute healthiest diet is the one that uses the least processed foods.

Also, don't go by your weight. I'm as tall as you, but 10lbs heavier with visible separation. If you start lifting weights consistently, do not expect that number to drop. Ideally it will remain the same, or even increase, but this should just be muscle growing.

If all you want to do is lose weight, you "can" just do cardio, but understand that rowing 1.5km in under 4 minutes will burn 1 timbit.

If all you want to do is lose weight, you "can" just do cardio, but understand that rowing 1.5km in under 4 minutes will burn 1 timbit.

1.5km of rowing in 4 minutes will burn 176 calories at a weight of 175 pounds about 2,5 timbits and those are the calories burned during the training only

I fully 2nd everything Cassard says, but I would like to add something.

Also, don't go by your weight. I'm as tall as you, but 10lbs heavier with visible separation. If you start lifting weights consistently, do not expect that number to drop. Ideally it will remain the same, or even increase, but this should just be muscle growing.

I would add that the healthiest diet is also the one you can sustain. A healthy diet is a lifelong commitment not just a temporary change.

Sorry for the multi posts,

Question for OP, are they Vegetarian or Vegan? Huge difference. Vegetarians will still eat eggs or consume dairy, the latter containing the most digestible protein you can get.

Ding ding.

Do yourself a favor and don't get caught up in a diet based on some made up social construct like veganism. As someone that has worked in the food industry my whole life, the single biggest and easiest dietary/gut change you can make is to start taking a daily probiotic if you aren't doing so already. This will help digestion, prevent protein putrification in the small intestion and colon, and help promote bowel regularity.

Never heard. I do listen to JRE from time to time though.

If you enjoy podcasts you might like it. What you said is something they do bring up on the reg.

I agree with the statement to a point, but the thing with mostly whole foods is that your only restriction is don't eat garbage. It will always be healthier than boxed food.

If you guys are genuinely interested about this topic (and not just into regurgitating self re-assuring stuff that helps you sleep at night while not making changes around you for the better), go listen to the the two podcast that Joe Rogan did on this movie. He first invited a guy who demolished the movie and then invited the director to defend his movie (with the first guy present). Very good stuff, a little heavy by times but it gave me a lot to think about.

Burning at a rate of 1000cal/hour = easy
Rowing FOR an hour at 1000cal/hour = Advanced to elite level athletes.

you can pretty easily burn 1000 cal in an hour to an hour and half by rowing or running

id say 1000cal an hour for an hour is the start of being advanced and very far from elite on a rower or running

Back