Miata on track = Rollbar?

I have an NB miata that is used a daily in the city. I'd love to take the car on the track - but from reading online it's not recommended to track MX-5 without a rollbar.
I'd have installed the bar eons ago - but in miata's rollbars (i.e hard dog, etc) are perilously close the the seats - I'm afraid of smashing my head into the bar if I get rear ended in the city (which is more likely nowadays than the past). From reasearch I've found the padding that comes with a rollbar is for helmets - not the human head.

I know *some* tracks will let me on with just the hardtop - but that offers no protection during roll overs.

Question for Montreal Racing -
1. Would you ever take a miata to a track (ICAR) without a roll bar?
2. Have you ever witnessed a car roll over at the track?

Edit: Also I'm not a jackass - I'm 95% sure its not a good idea to track without a rollbar - I just came here to verify my thoughts.

The majority of groups organizing track days will allow lapping a Miata without a rollbar, but as you already know it makes little sense.
At Icar as mentioned- I would imagine rollbar is at your discretion as is Snell helmet.

point 2- it's extremely rare to see a car roll over at a track, but it can happen if you go off track - hit grass( not possible at Icar)and dig in and flip over OR smash, at an angle into a guardrail ( more likely at Icar) and then flip.

Drive well within your limits- listen to the event director instructions and you sure be good.

As Karl said, not all group demand a rollbar. Personnaly, I would not dive my miata on a track without a rollbar anymore. For Lapping at Icar, there are now some SUVs that are allowed (Unless they changed the rules again). I would be concern of them hitting me from behind and climbing onto the car. Again, the chances are slim, but the possibility is there.

If you want to run with the MCC or the track and time clubs, their insurance demand a roll bar.

It depends on where you want to run, but I would ask the club if they allow convertibles without rollbars first, just in case.

Thanks for the replies. I'll give Icar another call later (last time I asked was a while back).

Drive well within your limits- listen to the event director instructions and you sure be good.
Sounds like a good idea :D

BTW, Mecaglisse near St-Donat is the perfect track for a Miata and roll over risks are nearly non-existant and I really doubt they require it (the roll-bar... not doing roll overs). If anything you'll only end up beaching your car in sand.

You will have a BLAST driving that circuit believe me...

Last edited:
Back