Advice for registering a newly purchased out of Province Car

Rekkless

So, I had one hell of an Epic weekend. Friday night my Girlfriend and I drove 7 hours to Brantford, Ontario and on Saturday morning we purchased and drove home a beautiful 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE. In less than 24 hours we drove 15 hours.

As you can imagine I'm super excited see, experience but most of all participate in everything the Montreal / Quebec car scene has to offer over the coming summer months.

That aside I'm having a really hard time knowing how to go about getting the car registered in Quebec. I'm not totally oblivious, however after a hour conversation with the SAAQ this afternoon I'm still not sure how best to go about getting the car registered.

Now, in order to get the car home from Ontario the dealer had to get me a 10 day temporary driving permit in order to obtain a safety certificate and get it registered in Quebec. However this expires on the 3rd of March and I can not get another one from Ontario.

The problem I have is, the car is on Good Year Eagle F1 Super Car high performance summer tires which come with the 1LE Camaro. Driving it home this past weekend was Ok with the beautiful weather and dry roads, but we are heading into some seriously cold weather at the end of this week + a little snow.

The last thing want to do is take this car with these tires anywhere near some ice and snow.

So my plan was to just leave the car parked until after the 15th of March when the snow melts a bit more and I can legally drive on the F1s.

But speaking to the SAAQ today they are saying I have 7 days to get the car registered from date of purchase, I explained I don't have winter tires so I won't pass a safety inspection and can I wait until after the 15th. The woman on the phone said No, I have to get it registered immediately. But I had to get winter tires. I explained I'm not buying $2000 worth of winter tires to drive for 2 weeks just to get a safety certificate. Honestly I don't think the woman I was talking to has a clue at all, she left me on hold for over 10 minutes to look up the date I could drive without winter tires (we all know it is March 15).

So my question is. What is the best advice I can do to get the car registered?

Wait until the 15th, Can I get a Quebec Temp driving permit to get a safety certificate?

Can I apply for a Winter Tire exemption and just go get a safety certificate before my Ontario permit runs out on the 3rd?

I'm sure a lot of this is common knowledge, just chatting to the SAAQ this afternoon has left me asking more questions than they solved.

The car was purchased from a dealer.

Here is the car I bought

De mémoire tu as droit à 7 jours à partir de la date d’achat du véhicule pour mettre les pneus.
Avec le contrat d’achat je pense que ça passerait

De mémoire tu as droit à 7 jours à partir de la date d’achat du véhicule pour mettre les pneus.
Avec le contrat d’achat je pense que ça passerait

Le problème est que je ne veux pas mettre de pneus d'hiver sur la voiture, le 15 mars est juste au coin de la rue, il est inutile de payer 2000 $ pour les pneus d'hiver à ce stade.

Le problème est que je ne veux pas mettre de pneus d'hiver sur la voiture, le 15 mars est juste au coin de la rue, il est inutile de payer 2000 $ pour les pneus d'hiver à ce stade.

Pourquoi inutile? Tu vas les avoir pour l'an prochain...

Cette année c'est smooth comme hivers,
mais les années passé , même apres le 15 mars et le début avril y fesait encore frette et avait encore de la neige et glace.
Alors trouve toi un set de pneu d'hivers el cheapo sur Kijiji.

Pourquoi inutile? Tu vas les avoir pour l'an prochain...

J'imagine que c'est un summer toy.

Last edited:
Demande au dealer de te faire un transit Ontarien la journée que tu viens le chercher? (à voir avec eux si c'est faisable)

Un chum qui peu te passé une plaque X?

Sinon tu fais comme j'ai déjà fait... tu roule avec ton transit expirer coller dans ta fenêtre arrière et tu te dis que personne check sa un char sur le transit. Fait juste pas le con. (Je recommande pas... mais quand t fourrer...)

Demande au dealer de te faire un transit Ontarien la journée que tu viens le chercher? (à voir avec eux si c'est faisable)

Un chum qui peu te passé une plaque X?

Sinon tu fais comme j'ai déjà fait... tu roule avec ton transit expirer coller dans ta fenêtre arrière et tu te dis que personne check sa un char sur le transit. Fait juste pas le con. (Je recommande pas... mais quand t fourrer...)
J'ai roulé aucune plaque a NYC!! Assez stressant.

Même passé le péage j'avais pas d'argent le gars me dit pas grave on photographie la plaque .. j'avais oublié que j'avais pas de plaque! Une chance il a pas vu sinon je gage je me faisais tower.

Trouve un set d’hiver a 300$ ultra laid qui match le bolt pattern et problem solved non?

Probably need 18s minimum to clear the calipers.

Once again, a non emergency local tow will be what, 70$ each way? No driving in bad weather, car gets plated, no stress.

You only need winters to drive, not pass the SAAQ. I have inspected 4 motorcycles in the winter.

Peux tu remiser sans inspection et replaqué quelque part en avril? Just asking
Mais la solution du towing serait la mienne

You don't need winter tires to pass inspection..

Drive the car to inspection with ON temp tags or tow it. It passes, then go to SAAQ to have it plated. Once plated get the exemption online and drive it home.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new car.
Came super close of buying a SS 1LE two summers ago. One hell of a car !
(If only it had a trunk larger than a miata !)

Wait I'm confused! Why didn't the dealer do all that....when I used to sell cars to Ontario customers we did the inspections, all the paper work, taxes....all the client had to do was get a plate!

Wait I'm confused! Why didn't the dealer do all that....when I used to sell cars to Ontario customers we did the inspections, all the paper work, taxes....all the client had to do was get a plate!
You guys passed an inspection in Ontario to get the car plated there?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Did you trade your car in, or did you just buy the Camaro?

Did you pay the Ontario harmony tax, or did they just have you pay the gst?

As said, get the car inspected ASAP.

I traded in my car last year in Toronto & drove home my new(to me) car all in the same day.
Because I traded in my car in Ontario & we are a distinct society here in Quebec :) I had to go to revenue Quebec to get a VDE-23 form, because the SAAQ doesn’t recognize the trade in without it, even know it’s clearly shown on the bill of sale. Speaking of the bill of sale/contract, make sure you have the original copy when you go to the SAAQ. So after you’ve gotten your car inspected, gotten the vde-23 form if needed, go to the saaq, get your plate & you’ll have to pay our PST, now if you’ve also paid Ontario’s harmony tax which includes their PST, you’ll have to print a copy of the GST495 form from the Canada revenue agency, fill it out & send it in with a copy of your saaq receipt & bill of sale showing that you’ve paid both PST’s, my refund took 6wks., but they did add interest.

Last edited:
Buying a ontario car in Ottawa vs Toronto area is different.
In Ottawa you pay QC taxes and they get it SAAQ inspected no problem due to the closnest to Qc

In Toronto you their tax that you have to ask for refund with the proper Gouv document, then pay QC taxes at the SAAQ

Did you trade your car in, or did you just buy the Camaro?

Did you pay the Ontario harmony tax, or did they just have you pay the gst?

As said, get the car inspected ASAP.

I traded in my car last year in Toronto & drove home my new(to me) car all in the same day.
Because I traded in my car in Ontario & we are a distinct society here in Quebec :) I had to go to revenue Quebec to get a VDE-23 form, because the SAAQ doesn’t recognize the trade in without it, even know it’s clearly shown on the bill of sale. Speaking of the bill of sale/contract, make sure you have the original copy when you go to the SAAQ. So after you’ve gotten your car inspected, gotten the vde-23 form if needed, go to the saaq, get your plate & you’ll have to pay our PST, now if you’ve also paid Ontario’s harmony tax which includes their PST, you’ll have to print a copy of the GST495 form from the Canada revenue agency, fill it out & send it in with a copy of your saaq receipt & bill of sale showing that you’ve paid both PST’s, my refund took 6wks., but they did add interest.

I had to pay both Ontario HST and Federal GST. However I have a form to get the HST refunded once the car is registered and taxes paid for in Quebec. My god the Canadian system is convoluted.

I bought the car outright in Ontario, no trade in.

Quand j'ai acheter mon G37 , le dealer a fait descendre l'auto de Montréal sur les pneus d'été et l'a mis a mon nom.

I had to pay both Ontario HST and Federal GST. However I have a form to get the HST refunded once the car is registered and taxes paid for in Quebec. My god the Canadian system is convoluted.

I bought the car outright in Ontario, no trade in.

The Ontario harmony sales tax includes the GST, so you’ll get back the Ontario portion which is 8%

Back