Issue, help needed! - Electrical glitch - 2014 Jetta Trendline+ 6AT

Snail

Banned
Hey all,

My wife has a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Trendline+ 2.0L 8v 6AT that she bought used from a VW dealer @ 77,000 km in 2017. Now it has around 105,000 km, a clean title, no remote start, no electronic gadgets installed or anything aftermarket whatsoever. Completely bone stock, as purchased from OEM.

Well, this morning, we woke up to a car with all the windows rolled completely down. Stunned af, I looked around the car, no signs of forced entry, nothing weird other than the windows completely down. The car and its 2x key FOBs haven't been touched for days, so it's not like we played around with anything. This is completely new

So I get in, roll the windows back up and lock the car. Get back inside and...the f*ck...the windows roll all the way back down, hazard lights flashing on, windows roll back up partially (in unison), car locks and unlocks itself profusely and stops. I immediately try to place blame on the aging key fobs and remove both batteries (from both key fobs). Yet, every 2-3 minutes, the car sporadically goes nuts, and cycles through a door lock/unlock, 4 flashers, and windows up/down.

I get in the car, start it so I can let it idle and shut it off (maybe resetting something) and even idling, the doors lock and unlock profusely.

So it's not the fobs, I'm guessing an animal chewed some wiring, a faulty harness, a faulty switch, some corroded wires from water ingress, I don't know where to start.

Has anyone had this sort of issue with these cars? Is it a common problem? Where would you start looking? I'm about to head out and check it out, but I'm not mechanic / electrician, and taking it to a garage is not covidly possible at the moment. I'll have to teach my wife manual since the only remaining car in the driveway is a stick and she can't drive that. Luckily she won't have to go anywhere any time soon (hopefully).

Thanks in advance,
James

Try resetting the ecu by unplugging the battery? Check ALL the fuses, it's GOTTA be electrical, so go by process of elimination, you already eliminated both keyfobs.

Busted wiring in the drivers door between the pillar and door or a ground. Is what I'd be looking at. First I would scan the car obviously

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Busted wiring in the drivers door between the pillar and door or a ground. Is what I'd be looking at. First I would scan the car obviously

2014 avec 100k km? Possible mais peu probable. +1 pour le scan, mais je doute qu'il en ait un.

2014 avec 100k km? Possible mais peu probable. +1 pour le scan, mais je doute qu'il en ait un.
Look it's the internet. Let me shake my 8 ball or rub my crystal ball. Just saying I see broken wiring in that area often on Audi's and VW. A3s are pretty bad for it, we just replace the harnesses

Try resetting the ecu by unplugging the battery? Check ALL the fuses, it's GOTTA be electrical, so go by process of elimination, you already eliminated both keyfobs.

UPDATE

replaced the battery, grounds were in very good shape, but it was the original battery so...after 6 years it'll need replacing soon anyway. Took it out for a nice long 45 minute drive (ya know, just to make sure the battery's charged lol) everything was fine until 5 minutes before reaching home, the car starts going nuts again. Motherf*

So I'll have to start seriously digging around to find a loose connection or a chewed wire.

Edit : before changing the battery, I had disconnected the old one for 24 hours, just to be sure.

[...] I see broken wiring in that area often on Audi's and VW. A3s are pretty bad for it, we just replace the harnesses

Interesting. I don't have a scanner and nothing seems out of place, and not quite sure why the hazards would come on since nothing in the door can do that. Is it worth it to open up the door card?

My rule is don't take anything apart until you run a proper diagnostic scan test

Ma Audi 2016 commençait à déconner vers la fin de ma location. Quelque fois, mon alarme partait après avoir coupé le moteur et ouvert ma portière. Une seule fois, mes 4 vitres se sont baissées toutes seules en même temps pendant que j'étais stationné. Estie que j'ai fait le saut ahahah. Ahhh VW et ses problèmes électriques.

UPDATE

Unplugged the driver door harness and taped it inside the upper door jamb so it wouldn't get damaged and...so far (fingers crossed!) I haven't gotten any occurences of any funkiness. Drove it around for a good 20 minutes (to shake things up a bit). Man, hopefully this is it.

I looked up changing a door harness and it looks like a bit of a mess. Not complicated, but you have to remove the inner skin AND outer door panel. I guess I could do that myself. Looks like a bit of shitty job.

[...] I see broken wiring in that area often on Audi's and VW. A3s are pretty bad for it, we just replace the harnesses

thanks for the tip; you might have helped me solve my problem. I unskinned the wiring harness hoping to see the culprit(s) but all the wires look pretty intact...so I really don't understand what could have caused this BS.

Dans le temps de mon mk4
Le control dans la porte avait les soudures craquer... J'ai refait toutes les points de contact et pus de problème.

Moi les problèmes etait lock unlock système alarm et fenêtre qui chiait...

quand j'ai commencer a avoir des probleme du genre avec la MK5...je l'ai changé au PC!
ça m'a traversé l'esprit...si je ne suis pas capable de résoudre le problème et que je dois dépenser dans les 4 chiffres juste pour le diagnostiquer, on va le remplacer...même si elle y reste 2 ans à payer...

vraiment poche, mais on a besoin qqch de fiable. je ne sais pas pourquoi je pensais que volks pourrait potentiellement l'être puisque c'est moi qui lui a recommendé.

UPDATE

replaced the battery, grounds were in very good shape, but it was the original battery so...after 6 years it'll need replacing soon anyway. Took it out for a nice long 45 minute drive (ya know, just to make sure the battery's charged lol) everything was fine until 5 minutes before reaching home, the car starts going nuts again. Motherf*

So I'll have to start seriously digging around to find a loose connection or a chewed wire.

Edit : before changing the battery, I had disconnected the old one for 24 hours, just to be sure.

Interesting. I don't have a scanner and nothing seems out of place, and not quite sure why the hazards would come on since nothing in the door can do that. Is it worth it to open up the door card?

Hazards flash when the door locks and unlocks.

Might be the switch in the door lock. When you turn the key all the way and hold it, the windows go down.

Back