Convince me of not buying a 1st gen Cayenne

SRT-What?

Legacy Member
https://www.facebook.com/AVENTURA4X4OFICIAL/videos/247200513066694/?d=null&vh=e

The first-generation Cayenne was the most overbuilt Cayenne ever made for off-road use, featuring a locking differential and low-range gearing that were ditched in later models. Four-wheel-drive and other off-road chops made these a great platform for truly nutty projects like the*Transsyberia race trucks*that drove across Siberia in a long, grueling rally raid.*

The regular Cayennes like this S-model have depreciated into true bargains and thus, the kind of non-precious fare that makes a big-tire, steel-bumpered, skidplate-having off-road build like*this*so extremely tempting. Some of these V8 Cayenne S models are even*under $10,000*now according to the Porsche Club of America's*model guide, and you're guaranteed to have the most luxurious off-roader on the trails.*

The mere thought of a Cayenne tackling a gnarly, rocky washout brings a tear of joy to my eye. It lifts its wheels. The driver bounces back and forth to get better traction. They're not timid about dragging the middle of the SUV on rock ledges, and you can tell by the bent-in skidplate and upwards-pointing exhaust pipe that this isn't the first time this Cayenne has done it.*
5a1d81f351cebbec6da138e492d44bc1.jpg

Ya un gars sur overland Quebec qui fait pas mal de hors route avec la sienne.

C'est tellement laid comme Truck par contre!

Ya un gars sur overland Quebec qui fait pas mal de hors route avec la sienne.

C'est tellement laid comme Truck par contre!

Tellement laid que ça fait pas mal au coeur de frotter contre des arbres ou cap de roche!

It looks like you'd be projecting it aka doing all the work yourself.

If you re-do all the coolant pipes which are joined together with Loctite, then go for it.
Then all the parts VW Touareg parts will have the Porsche premium on them (especially if you dont cross-shop)

I think there are significantly more cost effective ways to off-road like a boss for fun, unless you want to be able to say "Yeah, let me go start-up my Porsche" every now and then.
It's a question of really wanting THIS car with all the pain it's going to come with.

Tu sais que les allemands petent les plombs quand ils pensaient que c’était sensée de mettre un v10 TDI dans le touareg, un vus midsize.

Over engineered sa veux dire complexité et choix douteux et pas à l’avantage du 3ieme client.

Ils se sont rendu compte d’une génération à l’autre à quel point les aptitudes hors route n’étaient pas recherchées par leur clientèle.

TFL truck ont fair des video sur les touareg / Cayenne si ça t’intéresse

Vrai hors-route = brise des morceaux

Des joints, essieux, t/case, etc...

Tu veux de quoi qui se répare bien ET qu'il y a des morceaux de dispo pas chere et accessible.

Pour faire ton gars cool qui monte un Cayenne Overland et prendre 2-3 photos dans bouette c'est tel que tel mais si tu veux faire du vrai off road, aller loin et pouvoir te fier sur ton véhicule, j'irais pas vers un SUV de luxe européen....

Il doit avoir un paquet de capteur et de sensor qui font illuminé le dash comme un arbre de noel a la seconde tu vas caller ca dans bouette ou arraché une couette de fil en passant sur une souche.

https://www.facebook.com/AVENTURA4X4OFICIAL/videos/247200513066694/?d=null&vh=e

The first-generation Cayenne was the most overbuilt Cayenne ever made for off-road use, featuring a locking differential and low-range gearing that were ditched in later models. Four-wheel-drive and other off-road chops made these a great platform for truly nutty projects like the*Transsyberia race trucks*that drove across Siberia in a long, grueling rally raid.*

The regular Cayennes like this S-model have depreciated into true bargains and thus, the kind of non-precious fare that makes a big-tire, steel-bumpered, skidplate-having off-road build like*this*so extremely tempting. Some of these V8 Cayenne S models are even*under $10,000*now according to the Porsche Club of America's*model guide, and you're guaranteed to have the most luxurious off-roader on the trails.*

The mere thought of a Cayenne tackling a gnarly, rocky washout brings a tear of joy to my eye. It lifts its wheels. The driver bounces back and forth to get better traction. They're not timid about dragging the middle of the SUV on rock ledges, and you can tell by the bent-in skidplate and upwards-pointing exhaust pipe that this isn't the first time this Cayenne has done it.*
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200427/5a1d81f351cebbec6da138e492d44bc1.jpg

It's a great " sport " car ! Off-road capable? Yes...
But is not the purpose and I would say quite far from it.

But to call it the most luxurious off-roader...that is a sacrilege. Not to call it a pleonasm. BECAUSE that goes to Land Rover. By far.
Said once, somebody.

And IF you really decide to go that way...stay away for at least '04 and '05. Really far.

It's a great " sport " car ! Off-road capable? Yes...
But is not the purpose and I would say quite far from it.

But to call it the most luxurious off-roader...that is a sacrilege. Not to call it a pleonasm. BECAUSE that goes to Land Rover. By far.
Said once, somebody.

And IF you really decide to go that way...stay away for at least '04 and '05. Really far.

It feels like they didn't know what the purpose of the first one ought to be, so they baked in some pretty decent off road tech / features "just in case" it had to go toe to toe with a Land Rover. Low range, center diff lock, rear diff lock, decent ground clearance with the air ride.

Then they realized that people didn't give two shits about the low range transfer case (probably never used it) and off road capability so they streamlined it and refocused it as a tall, sporty-ish car with good cargo volume and comfort.

No need trying to convince you not to buy it. You'r not gonna buy it and you know it...

Back