which to choose (for spouse): Mazda cx5, vw Tiguan or Mercedes GLK?

fabchef

Hi gang, how are you? my spouse will be looking for a slightly used car in the next little bit.
Someone suggested Mazda cx5,, said it was a good, reliable car.
she had been looking at the Tiguan as well, not sure of longterm reliability?
as well, there is the Mercedes GLK as a contender. Not sure of long-term of that one too?
any input would be great. I know she want's leather (or pleather) interior, SUV, AWD, Not too big in size.
and other makes/models you suggest?
thanks
fab

On regarde aussi entre le Tiguan et le CX5.

L'avantage du tiguan si tu prend le "R Line" c'est le look extérieur avec bumper aggressif il est vraiment vraiment beau. Par contre l'intérieur a beau avoir le cluster numérique, l'intérieur est vraiment cheap.

Le CX5 vient de sortir la ligne "Signature" qui venait autrefois juste sur les CX9, et je dois dire que l'intérieur d'un CX5 Signature est assez fucking impressionnant pour du japonais, incomparable au Tiguan.

Nous ce sera fort probablement le CX5 Signature pour cette raison!

Hi gang, how are you? my spouse will be looking for a slightly used car in the next little bit.
Someone suggested Mazda cx5,, said it was a good, reliable car.
she had been looking at the Tiguan as well, not sure of longterm reliability?
as well, there is the Mercedes GLK as a contender. Not sure of long-term of that one too?
any input would be great. I know she want's leather (or pleather) interior, SUV, AWD, Not too big in size.
and other makes/models you suggest?
thanks
fab

Well that would depend greatly on how she drives.

If she has an habit of hitting the curbs when parking, and rear ending other people when on the phone/makeup, go with the cheapest of the 3.

Kidding aside, they are all pretty much different, but for reliability and longterm I think Mazda. Longterm the volks will cost more, and Mercedes even more. The GL platform had some reliability issues in the past. Not sure about the recent ones.
Resale value is much better wit the mazda I would think.
Now, like I said they are not the same beasts.

Hi guys. My wife commutes, and drives into the city for work. She's not an aggressive driver, nor does she put on makeup or make calls while driving🙄.
I've been leaning towards the cx5, but i think she's leaning towards the other cars.another contender was the lexus NX, but it's too new and way out of budget.
Fab

Deux de mes amis ont tout les deux des CX5 récentes et ils sont entièrement satisfait.

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

I Picked up a 2019 CX-5 Signature for the wife last year. No issues at all so far (+9000km). The power delivery with the turbo is pretty good (250hp 310tq). As others mentioned, the interior is excellent.
If you get the 2.5 NA, stay away from the 2018-2019 models with cylinder deactivation. Also, stay away from the soul red paint. It chips like no tomorrow.

Was going to get the Tiguan Highline R-Line but couldn't justify the extra 150$/mo to lease.
Was also looking at the RDX-A Spec and Q3 Technik but those were +200$/mo more a month.

Hi guys. My wife commutes, and drives into the city for work. She's not an aggressive driver, nor does she put on makeup or make calls while driving🙄.
I've been leaning towards the cx5, but i think she's leaning towards the other cars.another contender was the lexus NX, but it's too new and way out of budget.
Fab

RX330/RX350

A little bigger than what you're looking at but you will definitely wont be looking back/regretting.

On a eu un cx5 pendant 3 ans et 100000km

Seul problème: fuite d’un boyau d’a/c

Entièrement satisfait, ca a un bon comportement routier, une bonne économie de carburant et une bonne fiabilité!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great info guys. Might be looking more towards the Lexus NX and as was suggested by a friend of ours, the Mercedes glk 250 blutec. Seeing as she does a lot of commuting, a small diesel might be a good choice.
ANDROID...we currently have a 2009 rx350, she likes it but wants something smaller.
thanks
fab

My girlfriend has a 2018 CX5 in Mazda Candy Red (or whatever it is called) We've put about 40,000km on it with multiple road trips into the US and Ontario. It has been faultless except a flat battery at one stage.

The red look amazing, especially after we ceramic coated last summer. As mentioned above the red does stone chip pretty badly, but the trade off is a shade of red that you'll never get bored of. In the middle of a summer sunny day it looks so good.

So I'd recommend to just PPF the front end as soon as you get it if you buy or at least ceramic coat the car to help prevent stone chips.

Ma. Blonde a tiguan a date tout va bien plusieurs aller retour mtl abitibi. Bonne consomation confort correct. Dla place en masse

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

i've driven all 3 actually. for me, it would be the CX5 hands down, and for a few reasons (not that I'm a Mazda fanboy but)

- My parents in law and my brother in law both owned GLKs and both regretted it. They had quite a few issues, all of which were electronic in nature and parts and labour is always too expensive. GLKs are also surprisingly uncomfortable and stiff, all while not being that fun to drive. They do however have a longitudinal engine layout so the rear wheels get torque before the front ones do. It's noticeable in the winter if you drive a little heavyfooted which is nice. But apart from that, I really wouldn't recommend one.

- My old company had a couple of Tiguans, so does my aunt. Again, reliability was an issue and we're talking problematic moonroofs and turbochargers being replaced. The Tiguan has such an odd throttle response, almost a full second delay. I have no idea why it's like that but it's gotta be one of the worst throttle inputs I've ever driven. It has a very numb steering feel and is very much a meh car. Power is good, but that's all it's got. It's not even that comfortable to be honest. I would never consider one and there are so many better options out there.

- I've driven a few CX5s across the years and basically it's the CUV that stands out. My wife will be trading her Jetta for a CX5 shortly. It still drives like a CUV and feels heavier than a car, but for what it is, it's actually surprisingly fun. I'd go for the 2.5 non-turbo since I don't think I trust Mazda's forced induction for longevity quite yet, but the 2.5 is more than adequate power. I've driven a few CX5s on closed courses and they drive quite nice. The new ones feel really premium and still have a little sportiness in them. Reliability-wise, they're not quite Toyotas, but they're almost there. My Mazda has been near flawless and it's a first year of it's generation. Many CX5s have seen 200-300k miles without issues.

Someone mentioned Mazda's cylinder deactivation. Yeah, I would avoid that. It's inadequate, to be honest. Rough engagement, disengagement, and people are actually seeing worse fuel economy WITH it...they definitely missed the mark on that feature. My brother has that on his new 3 and hates it.

my girlfriend wanted a tiguan (2018).. so she got it and it drives good..I would never buy the old model which was ugly and small for its price. but the newer model has the most liter capacity in its category.. lots of room for the back passengers. lots of room for my kids stuff in the trunk. functionnality is very good. it is very good on gas 6.8l on the highway at 120
the handling is good but on the other side its lacking power and the transmission is weird, i wish that i could always go from stop on the 2nd gear.. first gear is to short, rev high then on the other gears it shifts on low rev. other than that it is very confortable for long rides.
we had an issue with the moonroof drains that getting clogged but there is a recall . they are replacing the clogging part with an improved one, bigger i guess. i have a problem with the passenger seat belt/air bag sensor... it activates itself randomly...
overall its a great suv for a family.. for the reliability I cant tell its still a recent model and we have done 20000km on it.

i liked the cx5 but thats not the car she wanted..
girlfriend is happy and its all that matters.lol

Thanks for all the great info guys. Might be looking more towards the Lexus NX and as was suggested by a friend of ours, the Mercedes glk 250 blutec. Seeing as she does a lot of commuting, a small diesel might be a good choice.
ANDROID...we currently have a 2009 rx350, she likes it but wants something smaller.
thanks
fab

Diesel cars shine on highways but if she does more city then she won't save money on diesel, especially diesel price being way more expensive than regular gas these days.

Back