Selling Used Vehicle (Registration SAAQ)

KirkZ24

In all my years of owning vehicles, ive never once sold a used car to someone.

If there was not all this COVID-19 hassle with appointments and social distancing i would go with the potential buyer, but now I am wondering if I can just sign the back of my Registration and give it to the new owner
once the car is paid in cash?

I found online this: https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/fileadmin/documents/formulaires/formulaire-procuration.pdf

I presume with both papers he can plate the car himself?!

If that is the case... how will i know he ever did it? If he doesn't do it... what am I liable for if I have a sales contract?

Any help on this situation would be great.

Thanks.

You can normally call to make sure the transfer is done, but good luck now. He will likely wait until covid is over to do the transfer.

If something happens, saaq/police sends you the bill, then you sue the guy for money but have the burden of the proof, something like that I guess.

You are still responsible for all parking violations etc. Did you put an expiry date on the form?

FYI Sales contract is pretty useless on a used car private sale. Even if you put as is you can still held liable for hidden defects or not being honest about the sale.

Nothing is filled out as of now.

I am at the first part, i received 10% Deposit. Car is still in my possession.

There has to be some way of doing this properly. Do i drop off the car and leave with my plate?

FYI Sales contract is pretty useless on a used car private sale. Even if you put as is you can still held liable for hidden defects or not being honest about the sale.

OK, so the car runs perfectly when selling it and im still on the hook for how long? 1 Month?

OK, so the car runs perfectly when selling it and im still on the hook for how long? 1 Month?
Not 100% sure but my last two experiences selling cars privately have been terrible and this is coming from someone in the business.

Basically the guy can take your car, leave drain the oil out, blow the engine and sue you. He will win. I can quote some cases for proof. It's a super common scam in the outside regions of MTL and QC City side.

My advice is take the plate with you and cancel the insurance. Or find a dealer to do the transfer through like Tony Transfer

Sold my SRT4
Took the plate off
Took the money
Sign proxy form and registration
Buyer towed it home
I made clear that car can't touch the road until transfered.
Buyer was a car guy and he know the rules

Not 100% sure but my last two experiences selling cars privately have been terrible and this is coming from someone in the business.

Basically the guy can take your car, leave drain the oil out, blow the engine and sue you. He will win. I can quote some cases for proof. It's a super common scam in the outside regions of MTL and QC City side.

My advice is take the plate with you and cancel the insurance. Or find a dealer to do the transfer through like Tony Transfer

Ya, ive been a long time MR member, ive read the horror stories! I had thought of checking the oil with him, and indicating with signature from both parties that there was OIL and also no Check Engine. Hey... its better than nothing!

Sold my SRT4
Took the plate off
Took the money
Sign proxy form and registration
Buyer towed it home
Buyer was a car guy and he know the rules

I just contacted the seller. I told him i was worried about all of this, so he decided to do it full legit. Once he has his appointment, ill go meet him with the car and do this properly.
Seems like a big headache other wise, too much of a guessing game.

As it is now.... All i have to worry is about a nightmare story that Gregster pointed out! LOL

Ya, ive been a long time MR member, ive read the horror stories! I had thought of checking the oil with him, and indicating with signature from both parties that there was OIL and also no Check Engine. Hey... its better than nothing!

I just contacted the seller. I told him i was worried about all of this, so he decided to do it full legit. Once he has his appointment, ill go meet him with the car and do this properly.
Seems like a big headache other wise, too much of a guessing game.

As it is now.... All i have to worry is about a nightmare story that Gregster pointed out! LOL
I see no good in writing that there is no check engine.

Usually if you write nothing, there is a garantie légale (more or less similar to what a used car dealer would offer on a 10 year old car). If you write "vendu sans garantie légale", there is no garantie garantie légale but buyer has protection against vice caché. If you write "aux risques et périls de l'acheteur", there is no protection unless you willfully hide some flaws that you knew or ought to know they were present and didn't disclose it. Interpretation varies between judges.

I personally never had troubles selling my vehicles privately.

Sold my SRT4

Ç'est toujours une esti de belle chance a prendre que moi je prendrais pas.
Moi j'vais donner ma mini van dans un 1-2 semaine , je transfert a la SAAQ ou Tony Transfert sinon pas question que le gars parte avec.

J'ai justement un acheteur pour mon auto. Il la voulait pour aujourd'hui avec une procuration et je lui ai dit non. Je suis prêt à lui réservé jusqu'à temps qu'on soit capable d'avoir un r-v à la SAAQ.

Mais imaginez ceux qui attendent pour passer leurs permis de conduire car ils en ont de besoin pour leur job. Alors c'est pas si pire devoir attendre pour plaquer un véhicule ou faire un transfert de propriété.

Mais y'a une chose que je comprends pas. Au bureau de la SAAQ de ma ville ils sont 3 employés au comptoir et même en temps normal ils ont 2m de distance entre eux. Alors c'est quoi le problème???

Ah oui c'est vrai!!! Des fonctionnaires. Ils sont payés full salaire à rester à la maison. Pourquoi ils rentrerais travailler???

So I could basically contact Tony Transfer and get the job done as well... Right?

If anyone has used him, do you just show up at one of his locations or do you need an appointment?
Im sure his phone is ringing off the hook!

J'ai justement un acheteur pour mon auto. Il la voulait pour aujourd'hui avec une procuration et je lui ai dit non. Je suis prêt à lui réservé jusqu'à temps qu'on soit capable d'avoir un r-v à la SAAQ.

Mais imaginez ceux qui attendent pour passer leurs permis de conduire car ils en ont de besoin pour leur job. Alors c'est pas si pire devoir attendre pour plaquer un véhicule ou faire un transfert de propriété.

Mais y'a une chose que je comprends pas. Au bureau de la SAAQ de ma ville ils sont 3 employés au comptoir et même en temps normal ils ont 2m de distance entre eux. Alors c'est quoi le problème???

Ah oui c'est vrai!!! Des fonctionnaires. Ils sont payés full salaire à rester à la maison. Pourquoi ils rentrerais travailler???

Ça me fait chier je devais passer mon pratique classe un au printemps haha, RIP ce plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Demande a l'acheteur s'il veut faire inspecter l'auto , s'il refuse , inscrit sur le contrat de vente que l'acheteur a refusé de faire inspecter l'auto chez un professionnel
- Énumère chaque défaut et chaque réparation que l'auto a eu
- Mentionne le prix de vente original que tu demandais et inscrit le montant final une fois que la négociation à eu lieu
- Vend sans garantie légale et aux risque et périls de l'acheteur

tant que le transfer de propriété n'a pas été effectué , ne laisse pas l'auto quitter ton stationnement , tu es responsable de tout ce qui peut arriver car c'est le toi le propriétaire , présentement les '' tony transfer '' charge entre 200-250$ pour faire des changements de titre

présentement les '' tony transfer '' charge entre 200-250$ pour faire des changements de titre

Ma femme a appelé hier,
pour nous c'est moins cher que 200$, j'imagine que ça dépand de son déplacement.

Le prob est qu'il a pu de papier pour faire les transfert, il attend sa commande on sait pas quand,
il va nous appeler dès qu'il va avoir la paperasse ...

J'viens de confirmer, 125$ pour la mini van 2009 ,
le prix depend de la distance et véhicule.

J'viens de confirmer, 125$ pour la mini van 2009 ,
le prix depend de la distance et véhicule.

c'est un bon prix , peut-être que c'est comme les dumbells et que le prix redescend hehe

Ce que je ne comprend pas , c'est qu'en passant par un '' tony transfer '' tu es capable de bypasser une inspection mécanique si ton véhicule a été remisé pendant plus de 1 an , mais tu n'es pas capable de bypasser une inspection si tu as acheté un auto en Ontario ...

c'est étrange

Back