Would you buy a new car over the internet?

lord_galathon

Lots of dealers now "offer" delivery of your new car "without contact" to respect the social bullshit going on.

I keep seeing posts by dealerships on my Facebook, that show a picture of a car, whatever car, delivered to Madame Giselle contactless blahblahblah. One of the photos actually showed the car keys and booklet on the trunk - of a white car.

BRILLIANT!

Or maybe I'm being anal about this?

Consider this:

I wouldn't want to be the customer stuck with a car delivered by whoever - and that then would discover AFTER taking possession of the car, that it has a scratch on the paint or scuff on a seat or whatever cosmetic defect.

Remember - we're talking about a NEW vehicle here. You're paying premium price for a car that is supposed to be pristine.

Do you REALLY think that VW for example, would take a vehicle back and replace it if when you take ownership of your Jetta you find this:

attachment.php

which was probably done by sliding the car on/off the delivery truck.

Even if they offer to repaint the area, the car will always be repainted and it will affect the resale value down the road.

I know a few companies ONLY work this way: Tesla, Genesis for example off the top of my head. Presumably, both companies give you the opportunity to inspect the car on delivery but how do you do this RIGHT NOW?

This all reminds me of the time early 2000s I was sorting out some cabling under a salesman's desk at a MB dealership and I overheard the salesman on the phone with the service department who had just received a car - brand new MB - that had the rear bumper damaged in transit. He clearly asked the service dept. if it would be visible in the evening and then took arrangements to deliver the car to his customer in the evening, at dark.

I remember the look on his face when I popped out from under the desk (another desk) and he realized I had overheard the whole conversation.

I also remember sincerely hoping the customer would show up with a flashlight to inspect the car properly. Since that day I've been very meticulous about inspecting any new car I take delivery of. Not that I buy many NEW cars but I suspect that as I get older I will start leasing "better" cars and getting rid of them once the warranty is over - which would make the pre-delivery inspection all the more important.

What do you think?

Stop with the resale value thing.... A painted door on a VW is not gonna affect the resale value in 4-5 years.... It's not a Ferrari 250 SWB...

I'm sure dealers are looking at all possibilities to do good business. I'm sure that if they deliver a car at home with a scratch and you tell them in a reasonable delay, they will fix it. In these days of internet shopping, the last thing you want to have is a bad review online due to a simple scratch.

Sometimes I think ur an idiot

Lolol cars are touched up at dealers all the time from in transit damage. A lease? Who gives a crap as long as the job isn't shit.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I will also add that cars get repaired at the factory as well for paint issues all the time.. paint, wrong interiors etc. There is an entire section for repairs

I bought used car unseen...old muscle car, regular car and 2 directly from Japan.
So a new car...sure if the deal is right. Lease or Buy.
As gregster said, dealer touchup happen more often than you think. (I worked at one many years) and the dealer will do his darnest to make it good.

I would much prefer ordering my new car online on my own rather than having to deal with the sales people and the finance people. I always know what I want when I walk in and dealing with people who are only after my money is never something I look forward to doing. Here is what I want with these options or trim, negotiate price, accept or decline, send personal info to finance. You don't have to waste time and have 17 alternate cars in other trims or colors proposed since what I want is harder to find and no one is anyone going to give you a lecture that it's harder to sell a manual and you should buy an automatic.

I would 100% prefer buying my car online however I still prefer an in person delivery and inspection when taking possession. I don't need anyone driving it home for me, let me look at it out in the dealer parking lot before delivery and I'll handle it from there.

I've purchased many used cars online so maybe I'm different but I don't need "help" from someone telling me what to buy.

Email a bunch of dealers and whoever is serious about doing it all online gets the sale. There should be do real reason to show up in person anymore unless it's for delivery or a signature / identity verification is a must

Dude, si tu achete un char neuf, le vendeur va te le présenter a la livraison et t’expliquer les contrôles. Il va pas faire le tour pour chercher les défauts avec toi. Ca reste comme avant.

Si ca fait pas ton affaires comme facons de fonctionner ben tu attends que la situation revienne a la normale

Dude, si tu achete un char neuf, le vendeur va te le présenter a la livraison et t’expliquer les contrôles. Il va pas faire le tour pour chercher les défauts avec toi. Ca reste comme avant.

Si ca fait pas ton affaires comme facons de fonctionner ben tu attends que la situation revienne a la normale

Sur facebook tu vois qu'il abandonne le char avec les clefs dessus et en arriere plan tu le vois courrir avec une trace de poussiere derriere lui........
/sarcasm

Evidemment meme s'ils te livrent le char, ils vont te demander de le verifier avant de se pousser. Et s'il y a un trouble ils vont respecter les memes procedures que si tu l'inspectait au dealer. Aucun concessionnaire qui se respecte ferait autrement.

C'est une situation hypothétique? La photos que tu as posté vient de post de 2014 d'un gars qui a tourné trop serré dans son entrée et à frappé sa bordure. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/dented-scratched-under-rocker-panel.123843325/

Dans ta situation hypothétique, tu fais un tour de ta voiture quand tu la reçois et leur revient avec tout problème que tu vois. Il vont arranger quelque chose. Surtout ces temps-ci, je ne penses pas qu'aucun concessionnaire voudrait avoir de la mauvaise presse avec le marché qui tourne au ralentit.

Email a bunch of dealers and whoever is serious about doing it all online gets the sale. There should be do real reason to show up in person anymore unless it's for delivery or a signature / identity verification is a must

A dealer wants to sell me a car without test driving. I can go look at it, they can do paperwork online and all but I can't test drive it...... LOL SUUUURE. Think I'll wait it out.

yes - that's what I did with my two previous vehicles. Actually... it was over MR private message...

I knew exactly what I wanted.

I bought a brand new jeep wrangler 2018 in June 2019, the dealership was in Vancouver and i did not want to take the plane, put 5000km on the truck and loose minimum 1 week of job, so i had it transported in QC since it was cheaper also. The truck had more rust on the frame than many wranglers that went thru severals quebec winter. I was fucking mad but chrysler would not do anything and i did not push them enough also.

I will never buy another new vehicle without inspecting it first, i got my lesson. They probably parked it on grass for way too long i don't know, i found other people in US forum that also had the same problem on wranglers that been sitting for more than a year in dealership parking.

I rustproofed it and shoot honeygoo every now and then on the rusted spot, maybe a a bit paranoid, but i bought a new truck because i was fed up of rust on old japanese 4x4 and life wanted to be a bitch again lol.

Tous les jeep Wrangler viennent pré-rouillé dans la court du dealer. Tu es tombé sur un modèle invendable tellement qu'il est impopulaire donc voila la raison du pourquoi il est plus rouillé.

I bought a new motorcycle sight unseen/over the internet. Past model year clearance. Had signed the bill of sale before I even left the house. 1300 km round trip there/back to pick it up and it was 100% worth it.

People act like new vehicles are somehow "magical". They're not. They're mass produced and go through a lot of hands, some more caring than others, before they get to you.

You're always rolling the dice. I've had new cars with between 6 and 300km on the clock (dealer trade), some with body panels that were repainted, others that didn't. My latest truck has a paint issue from being aggressively de-iced for delivery. I've had CELs come on the first day of ownership. Twice. (1 Chev, 1 Toyota)

The more you expect perfection and the harder you look for it, the more you're likely to be disappointed.

Do your due diligence, but this isn't worth losing sleep over. Go for a good deal and enjoy it. Paying more is no guarantee it will be in any better condition.

Back