Combien de pistes cyclables ça prend ostie!?

I would like to go through a 14 hour recording of the street to see how many people actually going to use the bike paths on a Tuesday.

I would like to go through a 14 hour recording of the street to see how many people actually going to use the bike paths on a Tuesday.
The fact they were able to roll this out so quickly means the plans were already drawn up ages ago.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

C'est probablement la piste cylable la plus achalandée que j'ai emprunter en ville, direction centre-ville, Uqam, etc. En fait j'avais arrêté de l'utiliser car il y avait carrément du traffic, des files de 20 personnes aux lumières etc. Je suis montréalais et je ne suis pas nécessairement contre, outre pour le parking perso dans ce coin là il en manquait déjà. Pour le reste, si tu vas au centre-ville en char c'est ton problème.

The fact they were able to roll this out so quickly means the plans were already drawn up ages ago.

It was, I had been hearing about the idea of a "bike Highway" for a while.

Rachel is pretty much a designated main "east-West" axis for biking, it always was. It was one of the first dedicated bike path back in the 90s.

Did they fuck-up the bus stops? Maybe... easily fixable. Also, Rachel is mostly residential, the commercial area of it as TONS of private commercial parking.

QQ for the "victims".

It was, I had been hearing about the idea of a "bike Highway" for a while.

Rachel is pretty much a designated main "east-West" axis for biking, it always was. It was one of the first dedicated bike path back in the 90s.

Did they fuck-up the bus stops? Maybe... easily fixable. Also, Rachel is mostly residential, the commercial area of it as TONS of private commercial parking.

QQ for the "victims".
I have no issue with it. Cities are for people not cars. Parking is a huge cost to the city.you want it? Pay for it

I have no issue with it. Cities are for people not cars. Parking is a huge cost to the city.you want it? Pay for it

C'est bien beau pouvoir te promener en ville à vélo mais pour être capable d'incorporer un mode de vie à vélo, tu dois être capable de le verrouiller. Or, il n'y a pas plus d'endroit pour barrer ton vélo de façon sécuritaire.

Yes and no. You can walk to Lionel Groulx, Charlevoix , Square Victoria which aren't far... The real issue with Griffintown is the complete lack of services and synthetic nature of the area.. that's before you add he never ending construction. Sadly the city planners have not learnt from the mistakes of that project. The canal has been ruined with cookie cutter condos and annoying residents who don't want you using public right of ways.

15 minute walk is a lot for a supposedly premium and downtown location.

Every location is downtown and premium according to développers. Right ?

I'm not against bike lanes, in fact, the city is highly bikeable and I've grown to totally like cycling for anything really. I'm totally against the fact that they don't convert them back to street parking after a certain hour, which is totally unreasonable since having a parking lot in a dense neighborhood ( which is anything close to downtown ) is becoming a scarce AF...

The other massive cancer is when they start painting the street lanes by the end of august, they're almost invisible by november...

C'est bien beau pouvoir te promener en ville à vélo mais pour être capable d'incorporer un mode de vie à vélo, tu dois être capable de le verrouiller. Or, il n'y a pas plus d'endroit pour barrer ton vélo de façon sécuritaire.

Tu peux te cogner la tête sur le mur du gros bon sens à vouloir cadenasser ton vélos à 2k$-3k$ si ça te chante mais tu auras jamais l'esprit tranquille en le fesant. C'est pour ça que j'utilise Bixi pour mes déplacements urbains en vélo. J'ai perdu le compte des vélos que je me suis fait voler(5 ou 6 en 20ans genre), barrés "sécuritaires" ou pas et aucuns de ce derniers vallaient plus que 500$...

C'est probablement la piste cylable la plus achalandée que j'ai emprunter en ville, direction centre-ville, Uqam, etc. En fait j'avais arrêté de l'utiliser car il y avait carrément du traffic, des files de 20 personnes aux lumières etc. Je suis montréalais et je ne suis pas nécessairement contre, outre pour le parking perso dans ce coin là il en manquait déjà. Pour le reste, si tu vas au centre-ville en char c'est ton problème.

Now I understand why they did it, thanks for clarifying it and not making me watch a long a$$ traffic video to learn this. :D

Piste cyclable c'est legit. Autant d'espace pou res pietons? Meh. C'est de l'activisme poussé trop loin. Y'a deja des trottoirs. Quand c'est rendu que t'as plus de place pour les pietons en plein millieu de nulle part que sur ste-cath a priori, c'est sketch

Le monde se font de plus en plus livrer de trucs a leur domiciles. Ça prends de l'espace un moment donner pour le loading / unloading / livraison et du stationnement occasionnel / des visiteurs.

Y'a une marge entre 1 porte = 1 place de stationnement et trololol zero parking.

I'm not against bike lanes, in fact, the city is highly bikeable and I've grown to totally like cycling for anything really. I'm totally against the fact that they don't convert them back to street parking after a certain hour,

It's already hard to get delivery trucks and cars to respect bike paths that are only painted on the street, imagine if said bike path was not only simply painted on the street but also flipped flopped inbetween accessible to parked cars and not on a daily basis. Plus, you would always have some dummy that would leave the car in the middle because he forgot to move it... it would be a gong show.

Maybe it's not the best execution but Rachel was the right street to chose to run a "bike through way" in the city. It links Parc Maisonneuve to the Mont-Royal. I can't see a better candidate. Also, the heavily commercial sector in between Bourbonière and Iberville is served with hundreds of "mall type" parking spaces.

Maybe it's time those businesses start considering renting out those spots to locals, becasue these empty spots ARE a waste of space at night.

49973736081_10e92fcb1a_o.jpg

So heading into town if you get off the Ville Marie at Guy and go straight up St Marc and turn right on Ste Catherine, this is what you are now presented with. I put in the green poles because street view hasn't passed since this change was made. They've managed to reduce a road with 2 lanes of parking and 2 lanes of driving, into a single lane of driving .................. They have the f*cking bixi rack in the southern most lane (as shown) and the 2 north most lanes are blocked off with green poles for pedestrians and bikers. So if you drive anything bigger than a regular sized car or SUV good luck turning right with the bixis sticking out and the green poles AND concrete barriers blocking off the 2 northern lanes. They couldn't have installed the damn bixi rack in the blocked off section?!?!!??! Nah man, f*ck trucks, and delivery vehicles and motor vehicles in general. Oh and you still can't turn left on Guy from Rene Levesque because whatever the f*ck they've been doing there for 18 months is still being done. F*ck you Plante.

Happy Friday everyone. :)

Back