Wheel nuts getting loose

NICOBKN

Back in February my wife's rav4 started making this weird noise. After driving for ~30 km i pulled to the side of the road and checked all 4 wheels. The front driver side was loose so I tightened it and the noise went away.
In the spring time when I switched to summer tires I made sure to torque them properly. Two months go by and it happened again, same wheel. What can be causing this ? Never had it happen to me before. Should I just replace all four studs ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Sounds like the nut taper angle doesn't match the wheel taper angle (countersink).
I would check that out first, paint the nut taper area in whiteout, or obvious paint marker, and see if all of it wipes out evenly after torquing, you'll know if you get the full taper contact.

After you change the wheels, torque the nuts a first time, then drive the car for a short while (<50km) then retorque the nuts. You’ll be suprise how much the nuts will have loosened.

The first time you torque the nuts, the wheel’s face isn’t always perfectly seated on the hub.

If you go to Costco for a wheel change, they even make you come back for a torque check after 50 km to warranty the job.

After you change the wheels, torque the nuts a first time, then drive the car for a short while (<50km) then retorque the nuts. You’ll be suprise how much the nuts will have loosened.

The first time you torque the nuts, the wheel’s face isn’t always perfectly seated on the hub.

If you go to Costco for a wheel change, they even make you come back for a torque check after 50 km to warranty the job.
They make you come back because it's to cover their ass. Only time I've had a wheel come loose is due to the hardware being wrong.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Sounds like they are too incompetent to install wheels properly and clean the hubs.

I haven't heard anything about the neighbors.

Wheels are stock and the nuts are oem. In the winter I have steelies with the cheaper nuts toyota recommends.

I use the same torque wrench on my car and I haven't had any issues. We've had the rav14 for 3 and a half years.

I'm thinking when I swapped the winters I probably didnt torque them properly and now the studs are damaged? I guess I'll just replace them to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

I guess if everything is stock, all that's left is to make sure you're tightening the nuts in a star pattern.
Wanna be ultra safe, put some blue thread locker on the studs.

Same wheel is odd a bit.
Maybe you have a bad wheel bearing. A bad wheel bearing will make vibration.
Quick way to test, lift this side off the ground, grab the coil spring with one hand and rotate the wheel, if you feel the coil spring vibrate, there you go, you need a wheel bearing.

Same wheel is odd a bit.
Maybe you have a bad wheel bearing. A bad wheel bearing will make vibration.
Quick way to test, lift this side off the ground, grab the coil spring with one hand and rotate the wheel, if you feel the coil spring vibrate, there you go, you need a wheel bearing.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

Back