Bentley's Mulsanne production came to an end...

Scooter

Premium
Remember talking about that push rod engine somewhere in a thread...but can't find it.

It marks the end of a decade-long run for the Mulsanne, as well as the end of the 61-year production run for the L-series V-8 whose last duty was in the Bentley flagship. The engine in its final iteration featured a pair of turbochargers, 6.75 liters of displacement, and 530 horsepower of grunt.

The last Mulsannes were a special series known as the Mulsanne 6.75 Editions, the name a reference to the iconic V-8 under the hood, and just 30 of these were built. The very last car is said to be a very special example, with Bentley keeping the identity of the car's owner a secret.
Bentley built approximately 7,300 examples over the life of the Mulsanne, each requiring over 400 hours of meticulous detail. Compare that to mass-market cars which can be churned out in less than 20 hours.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1128653_bentley-builds-its-last-mulsanne

bentley-mulsanne-production-comes-to-an-end--june-2020_100750058_l.jpg

bentley-mulsanne-production-comes-to-an-end--june-2020_100750052_h.jpg

bentley-mulsanne-production-comes-to-an-end--june-2020_100750055_h.jpg

V8 6,7 twin turbo 530hp.... LOL

Lazy engineering or underpowered engine...!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

You know there was a time when they didn't even list power output.. these cars are about the ultimate in luxury not lap times. 800hp wouldn't make a difference

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

It is very possible that in result it is more reliable, less ''nervous'' and quieter for luxury? You really think this car was made to set records at the ring? LOL

j'ai jamais compris cette pensée-là. C'est probablement des turbos qui spool rapidement et qui donne en masse de couple à bas régime / peu de top-end. Ste char-là fait sa force au décollage pour bouger ses 2,711kg et "personne" se fout d'avoir 700hp+ @ 7,000rpm.

It is very possible that in result it is more reliable, less ''nervous'' and quieter for luxury? You really think this car was made to set records at the ring? LOL

exactly. you get a 911 for that.

This is still on my top 3 favorite cars list

I will admit they kept the 6 3/4 Litre around as a heritage piece to remind you of the days of old England and old Bentley. It has such a great story even after the BMW/VAG Saga

My boss have one. Damn those maintenance cost are ridiculous. He did a big tune up + head gaskets last year : 23k $

There was 3 wheels that had scratches on and he decided to replace all 4 : 11k $ each

Apart everything that has already been said...remember this is an engine from circa 1955.

You have to drive one to understand as well "the pleasure" of that engine.

EDIT : ^^^ The engine is an evolution of the old Rolls-Royce L-series platform introduced in 1959 and still in production, despite Volkswagen, the parent company of Bentley, using VW-based V8 or V12 powerplants in other Bentley models.

So where is the quality if a car as new and as expensive as this needs head gaskets.
Leno has an 89 Turbo R with a bunch of miles. Even with his resources it's not cheap to repair but says it's one of the most reliable cars he's had

Leno has an 89 Turbo R with a bunch of miles. Even with his resources it's not cheap to repair but says it's one of the most reliable cars he's had

Put 30k$/year in "maintenance" and any car will be reliable...

Envoyé de mon SM-N960W en utilisant Tapatalk

Put 30k$/year in "maintenance" and any car will be reliable...

Envoyé de mon SM-N960W en utilisant Tapatalk
That Mulsanne was what 500k new? I don't feel everyone is paying 30k a year in maintence on one but it's possible. A typical Mulsanne owner doesn't strike me as a "DIY" person. Example McLaren service is probably around 5-8k per year , need to change a battery? That's 3kish. Which isn't horrible considering a few year old 3er will be around 1500-2000$ a year

A car such as that Mulsanne 99% of things will be dealer only. As is much the case with older Rolls Royce/ Bentley. Stuff like Continental GT open up the VAG parts catalog haha. Even then the people who are asking you to interchange likely couldn't afford the car new vs someone who takes still takes it to the dealer and bought it new. Yes there are ContinGT owners that cheap out on everything or complain about oil change price

Bentley warranty is 3years/ no mileage. Do they have extended programs ?

I hope you got a nice raise before he dumped all that cash...
Sur MR il faut lécher les pieds des patrons qui ont réussi, ces admirables personnes ont tout fait eux-même, le travail de leurs employés dédiés n'a rien à voir avec leur succès financier.

Back