Where to start?

Thanks everyone for the advice and kind words. It's great to be in a place of purists.

Sad to see that the car scene died so hard, but I understand. In Queensland (Aust) where I'm from the car scene took a huge hit when the government introduced "Anti-Hooning" laws which gave police powers to impound cars for 2 weeks for having illegal modifications or street racing, and damn near all modifications are illegal. So I'll take a Quebec cop any day over the Judge Dread cops I've experienced back in Australia.

A lapping session at iCar looks very cool, but from what I could tell I have to buy a license and also complete a $200 introduction course before I can lap?

Mt Tremblant certainly is the place I'd like to go, I was there for Cars of Fire and it looks like a spectacular track, although I didn't get around it much. To drive on that I basically have to join a car club?

I'll be sure to check out napierville dragway, I didn't even know that existed. Is it a good well prepped track and 1/4 mile?

What groups or areas do most of you use to keep up to date with when track days, events are on? I'm following Perry Performance, Octanefix, iCar on Facebook. But I don't know if there are other Facebook groups worth following.

For example I thought there was a regular night of the week on the South Shore people meet up a Canadian tire in Greenfield park, also Julep? When is the best time to go?

You do have to buy your membership, which is 60$ yearly. About the intro course, I'm not sure if it's mandatory, but a lot of people go with that route if it's not. I think if you already have experience on track, you could potentially skip the course and ask for a few sessions in follow the leader mode with more experimented people. I did do the intro course about 7-8 years ago and it's pretty good honestly.

For tremblant, with most clubs you don't have to buy a membership of any kind, you just get referred by someone, you register and enjoy the day. Some clubs have a pretty decent instruction program to show you around the track and give tips and tricks. Once you register with specific clubs, they will send you emails every year to promote their events.

1) Car scene in Montreal died about 10 years ago when the trend shifted from performance to 'stance' (i.e. lowered econobox with ridiculous camber). Today's trend is more about owning a 100k+ sports car and flashing it in parking spots.

2) Organised events are now more about talking to your friends in a parking lot.

3) In the event you want to accelerate quickly over a short/medium distance on a public road, you must refer to the location as being in 'mexico'. Ex : "Yesterday I raced a stage 2 RS3 in Mexico. The car was fast but I had more top end". It is also recommended to label your video's uploaded on youtube as being performed in mexico. See example below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUPJuilhmBA

4) A little bit more than 10 years ago the Provincial gouvernment issued a new law for "excessive speeding" which essentially fucks you up good. Definition of 'excessive speeding' is driving at a speed that exceeds the speed limit by: 40 km/h or more in a zone where the speed limit is 60 km/h or less,50 km/h or more in a zone where the speed limit is over 60 km/h and up to 90 km/h
60 km/h or more in a zone where the speed limit is 100 km/h or over. As you can see, with your car you can get into 'excessive speed' in about 3 seconds. Always drive at excessive speed in mexico.

5) Montrealracing is the greatest forum of all time. As the car scene kept on shrinking, only the real car guy stayed on the forum. A lot of knowledge lives here and it is usually the place you will get news first. Be carefull, there are a lot of people with sand in their vagina, just learn to spot and deal with him.

Enjoy you stay in Montreal.

That's a nice video, those poor mexicans being overtaken must be shitting bricks excessively hard.

Otherwise this summary is 18/10 accurate.

hi, welcome aboard!

napierville dragway is probably the nicest track for drag racing when there's an event, they dont skimp on prep. time trial days are ok but the dont use much glue . sanair has host some really huge event in the past, not much these days. we used to hang there every friday night at street drag (not this year, thanks covid ...), place is full most times, various crowd (lots of ricers, euro, street muscle, drag racers, trucks...). track prep is inexistant but we still manage to hook 6-700whp cars on drag radial tires.

You do have to buy your membership, which is 60$ yearly. About the intro course, I'm not sure if it's mandatory, but a lot of people go with that route if it's not. I think if you already have experience on track, you could potentially skip the course and ask for a few sessions in follow the leader mode with more experimented people. I did do the intro course about 7-8 years ago and it's pretty good honestly.

For tremblant, with most clubs you don't have to buy a membership of any kind, you just get referred by someone, you register and enjoy the day. Some clubs have a pretty decent instruction program to show you around the track and give tips and tricks. Once you register with specific clubs, they will send you emails every year to promote their events.

instructor is now very weird. My boss is an instructor for Groupe virage. He need to run is own car and folow the ''green'' car. He ride with one and because he need to speak in a talkie walkie lol
Kind of a bummer if you ask me.

Tremblant seem very strick this year, but it's a beautiful track

instructor is now very weird. My boss is an instructor for Groupe virage. He need to run is own car and folow the ''green'' car. He ride with one and because he need to speak in a talkie walkie lol
Kind of a bummer if you ask me.

Tremblant seem very strick this year, but it's a beautiful track

we all gotta do compromises :p It's not gonna last

the 1/2 mile at sanair would be fantastic. I don't live too far from Saint-Hubert air port and I often go for fast drives near there as the roads are buttery smooth. Everytime I do I look at the airport and wonder if they'd take $50 and let me do a couple of top speed runs. So a 1/2 mile would be great, although I just looked at one of their videos and the surface prep looks non existent shame really and pretty dangerous if I'm honest. napierville looks a bit better but still pretty grass roots compared to what we regularly use in Australia, but I'm sure it gets the job done.

Welcome! Great info have been shared here, hope you find what you seeking!

On the other hand, out of curiosity what made you move from AUS to CDN?

Especially in St-Hubert lol. jk

Nice car mate, was just watching some Aussie dash cam videos, yall are the most entertaining and funny drivers out there on the youtube.

Had a couple coworkers who moved to MTL from Brisbane 2-3 years ago. Apparently depending where you are it's super expensive and there's "nothing" to do

Napierville is plenty enough for 1/4. The owners also own the world record for fastest 4 cylinders, they know a thing or two about track prep.

ICAR was supposed to get better prep know that the Friday's races organiser moved from St-Eustache to Icar. Otherwise it's horrible.

Sanair you go for some event as a spectator.

For 1/2 miles and roll races you just need to find a decent empty patch of highway...

Had a couple coworkers who moved to MTL from Brisbane 2-3 years ago. Apparently depending where you are it's super expensive and there's "nothing" to do
Good to known that we have aussies on the forum. I was planning a 1 month trip to go see the great barrier, the coast and the forests.

Tremblant is a sweet track... nothing beats having a knee down going down namerow on a race bike

Thanks, I moved here for work, I work in the financial sector so the time zone of Montreal was perfect. When I first moved here I lived right downtown, directly across from Place Des Arts so all the festivals were right out my door. I was on the top floor of a brand new building on Saint Catherine near Saint Lauren. But like all stories eventually I met a sweet bi-lingual French Canadian girl, sparks flew and next thing I knew I'm moving into much larger house in the South Shore with a kick ass garage.

But other than that I love Canada, the food is awesome, the cars are great, skiing is super fun and accessible, the people are world class and it is just simply a completely different environment to what I'm used to. So many times just the natural beauty here has taken my breath away.

Brisbane, where I'm from is comparatively affordable, keep in mind the average salary in Australia is like $85k. Even blue collar workers will make well over $100k in many cases (Electricians, Plumbers). So while the cost of living is pretty high (especially electricity) the wages reflect it. But I'm so far very much enjoying my time here, except of course the roads. But I've found if you go looking you can find some absolute ripper of roads that are just a blast to fly down.

@NisMobile - I will admit coming from Brisbane to Montreal driving it is completely different experience. Although I'm sure the dash cam videos paint Aussies as bad drivers (which they are) Aussies are very ridged in obeying the road rules. When I first arrived I couldn't believe how many people change lanes without indicating, drive in two lanes, double park but above all else navigate the roads with no lines and full of pot holes. I remember the first time going over jacques cartier bridge from the south shore where all the lanes just merge at once without any kind of order, this was before the resealed it too last year, I was terrified. But the best thing I like about traveling around Montreal and Quebec is people get out of your way on the high way if you're in the left lane. This makes for driving quickly so much more enjoyable. Not to mention your speed cameras are hilariously conspicuous, I can't believe anyone gets a ticket from them.

Back