Need new suspension. OEM or Aftermarket?

Ok donc il semble avoir 2 vote pour le Bilstein aussi. Merci pour tes input ElPibe. Mais je suis pas sur si tu as bien compris mais mes shock sont fini donc des springs de ST ca me feras pas de bien sans des strut neuf xD

Les strut Bilstein, est-ce que je peux monter ca avec mes spring d'origine question d'avoir des amortisseurs de meilleurs qualite mais de garder la ride height stock?

@Masaker, je t'ai PM
C'est exactement ce que j'ai fait sur ma ST ( j'ai ajouté des photos a mon post)

Rouge : OEM + spring mountune
Noire ( ST ): bilstein B6 + spring OEM.

La différence entre les bilstein B6 et B8, c'est que Les B6 ont un body plus long, justement pour qu'ils soit bien adaptés aux ressorts OEM, pendant que les B8 sont adaptés pour les spring aftermarket bro stance spec. Pour ton application, vasy avec les B6.

Les Koni sont un peu moins dispendieux ( dépendamment des quels tu veux), mais je les ai pas considéré suite au feedback que un ami m'a donné sur sa golf (amortisseur a déformé suite a un nid de poule même pas 1 an d'usage )

Vu que tu changes de ressorts, je te recommande de changer les top plate et bearing a l'avant, les mounting bracket arrière et les spring pads arrière (Donut de rubber ou les spring reposent sur le beam/frame) pour éviter d'avoir des bruit de fromage a poutine a chaque fois que la suspension travaille.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
b05e181a99cfdd30d7beb1d0a2897ec3.jpg

Having good shocks on OEM stock springs isnt recommended. Its kinda a 1-2 punch. Springs are dirt cheap tho. Id look up Fiesta groups on FB or even getting a quote of like H&R or Neuspeed springs.
Bilstein B6's are made for stock spring height.
B8's is what to choose if toi want to lower the car.

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

Ok so Bilstein B6 sounds good. As I said, I DO NOT want to lower the car. If I need new springs I don't mind buying some but it won't be lowering springs.

@ElPibe je t'ai PM

Sorry for the necro bump but I realized that I've never updated my thread! I ended up buying a set of Bilstein B6 from Scott at Trupower. I bought them fall 2020 but decided not to change the suspension right away as I am working from home so I barely use the car and wanted to save my new suspension from being exposed to winter unnecessarily! All the other parts (strut mount and bearing, sway bar links, tie-rod end, strut boots, etc) were ordered from RockAuto.

Here are the struts and shock absorbers from Scott:
IMG_20200714_071233 by Chris Genereux, on Flickr

My work station in my parent's backyard!
received_290027675980612 by Chris Genereux, on Flickr

I started with the rear, the Fiesta comes with a crappy carpet rear wheel well liner. After 9 years of driving, it was coming off and rubbing and catching all kind of crap behind it. So I decided to rip it out and I sprayed everything with rubber undercoating before installing the new suspension:
received_287072536238126 by Chris Genereux, on Flickr

Here are the old rear struts. As you can see, one of them did not even expand, it was completely blown, no wonder it was driving like shit.
received_1339245723128971 by Chris Genereux, on Flickr

Here's the rear after the coating dried and new shock, shock mount, and boot was installed:
received_1789093117939866 by Chris Genereux, on Flickr

Now to the front, the bolts were pretty seized up so it took a bit longer (especially the tie rod end!!) but I finally managed to get everything off!

I don't mind doing most things alone but really did not feel like playing with spring compressors so I brought my old and new struts to my local mechanic and 30$ later he put my old springs on my new struts with the new strut mount and bearing.

I then re-installed everything and tightened everything to spec
received_812312502728294 by Chris Genereux, on Flickr

My summer tires were almost worn out so I figured, new suspension, gonna need an alignment anyways, might as well get new tires at the same time. I ordered some Pirelli P4s from Costco, 100$ each and there was 100$ off when you bought for so 300$ for pretty good tires that are gonna last me (supposedly) 120k.

Got those mounted, put them on the car, and gave it a quick wash before the alignment!
received_297318881774781 by Chris Genereux, on Flickr

All in all, I paid around 1.7k for EVERYTHING and got a damn good setup! The car feels like a million bucks to drive, its super smooth, but also fun to throw around (expect there's quite a bit of flex in those big sidewalls haha).

It was fun and I definitely learned a lot while doing the work, took me 1 full day to do everything but I was not rushing.

Thanks to Trupower and El Pibe for their help with my decision!

Back