Are callipers supposed to rattle?

fabchef

Hi gang, so as i've been having this clunking noise in the rear of my car, i had a look at the callipers. When i grabbed the top of it i can shake the calliper up and down a bit and seems to make the clunking noise that I've been hearing.
Is this normal?
I pryed a bar between the brake pedal and the seat (to push pedal down), and tried shaking calliper and no rattle at all.
Fab

The pads have a backplate which may have separated from the brake pad if your brakes aren’t new.
The pad clips may have been damaged/bent out of place allowing the pad itself to rattle
Can’t think of anything else

The pads are not new. Was thinking maybe the slider pins got bent/damaged? I think the diks/pads pads had been changed maybe once in 11 years and probably not re-greased

Well the rear pass. Side is loud (where i hear clunking most). Rear drivers side is not far behind. Both front are firm and quiet, they don't budge.

Caliper isn't suppose to move up and down. Your slide pins are loose or the bushings on the pin are finished. At this point just get a reman bracket or take yours to Lamco in Boisbriand and trade them in for rebuild units.

Floating calipers... not saying it isn't the cause of your noise issue, but I'd put my money elsewhere. Lift the car and knock on the tire with a big hammer, if you don't hear the rattling noise, then look elsewhere. Inb4 dead shock or "ball joint" in one of the table.

Floating calipers... not saying it isn't the cause of your noise issue, but I'd put my money elsewhere. Lift the car and knock on the tire with a big hammer, if you don't hear the rattling noise, then look elsewhere. Inb4 dead shock or "ball joint" in one of the table.

Are there balljoints on your rear suspension?

Are there balljoints on your rear suspension?
There's 3 part on a rx350 that can wear down just like a front ball joint would.
ce0546ebeaf8c9647dcbc0854f499642.jpg

I think so, but all seems tight back there. Of things that move/shake/rattle, just the caliper is what i noticed.

Take your car on a bumpy road; shouldn't be too hard to find one in this city. Drive on it a couple of times once without the brakes applied and one with the brakes applied hard enough where the rears are engaged hard. If you don't hear any noise with the brakes applied it's probably your caliper bracket pins, bushings or the bore is rusted.

Nemisis.... when driving and when applying brakes, i always get that noise.

Even when applying hard? If it's just normal braking the fronts are doing most of the stopping. I would start with a rebuild bracket. Would this be a Caravan or an older Mazda by any chance? I always hear rattles from the rear wheels of those cars on my runs/walks lol.

Nemisis.. it's a 2009 lexus rx350 with almost 200 000km on the clock. I don't know if the rear pads or rotors where ever changed. I know the slider pins haven't been greased in a long time. The pads don't seem to be loose. Can it be that the pads have worn down enough to create a slack between pad and caliper?

Back