Are callipers supposed to rattle?

I think so, but all seems tight back there. Of things that move/shake/rattle, just the caliper is what i noticed.

Keyword SEEMS, I've lost count years ago how many sway bar links i've replaced that felt tight but were knocking like hell. Same for rear control arm that felt tight with a prybar but were loose and knocking while rocking the tire by hand on the ground. Sometimes you need to untight stuff to take the load off to feel the loose. And sometimes its simply inside the shock. Best advice I can give you, bring it to a reputable shop like momentum. Good luck.

Lord...the bolt is loose or worn out? Can the threading of the caliper bracket wear out, causing the caliper to rattle?

Lord...the bolt is loose or worn out? Can the threading of the caliper bracket wear out, causing the caliper to rattle?

You'd probably end up with a stuck pad.
I'm doubtful you have a rattling callipper. Brakes are pretty simple.

- Waved disks, may cause rattling / vibration, scrubbing noise. Usually rare but might happen with uneven pad wear and maintenance.
- Pad wear : brake fade, screaching noise, mooshy pedal
- Stuck piston on brake calipper : either no brakes on that side, more likely brake lock, followed by screaching noise and smoke
- Stuck slider / hardware / unlubbed : scrubbing or screeching or brake fade

The only ' rattling ' i'd see described as an intermittant noise is from a dust shield which usually desintegrates in a few years around here or simply ends up scrubbing against the disk or the caliper.

I'd lift the car, take off the wheel, spin the disk see what's up, inspect pad wear,
if you go further, take off the caliper, inspect slider, pins, disk, dust shield, see if you get movement from the piston when you apply brakes,
inspect bushings while you're at it, look for dry rot / loose ends in the suspension assembly,
broche à metal + brake cleaner then reapply propper lubrification, change necessary parts, torque to spec

Not a professional mechanic, so correct me if I'm wrong.

if you still get a knock / rattle, start thinking about down to up : wheel bearing, any end bushing, strut hardware, strut top plate.

as i mentioned before, i don't know if/when the brakes where done. here is a top pic of caliper and the disc...
thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

Back