Civic Type-R 2022 AWD 400HP

There are some mild hybrids with manual transmissions in Europe. Full blown / PHEVS ? Idk.

I think from a tuning / efficiency / smoothness perspective a manual transmission adds a bit of a wildcard: human factor / clutch. It's probably a lot easier / more predictable and more relevant R&D to go down the auto path. In this day and age, this also means you'd get faster shifts and you don't have to balance the shift feel, durability and power capacity of a clutch. We now have an entire generation who "grew up" with "f1 like paddles" That's a lot to like for the product planners.

It's oddly appealing but it's also a weird proposition. It's very much a compromise between old school and new school. It's like having one foot in the past, one foot into the future. It wouldn't provide the "old school analog" feel that purists / old timers crave while also being incredibly complex as opposed to a full EV.

We're in a world of souped up SUVs, so I guess people are willing to embrace compromises?

At which point would you rather kick the ICE engine, gearbox, fuel tank, and all exhaust / compliance devices to the curb, throw one electric motor at each corners and a metric shit ton of battery cells.

pretty much my thoughts. I'm all for progress (I really am) but I feel like fun machines aren't numbers cars. If you enjoy driving, you're not gonna care about 400hp AWD. You're going to want tactility, feedback and simplicity. If this becomes an automatic power barge (like all these performance SUVs), it won't be appealing to the same crowd.

If they can build an exceptionally good and simple manual trans Si while offering a very high-tech hybrid Type-R...I guess that would make sense.

Manuelle ou rien

même chose pour moi.

Back