BBS Wheels files for bankruptcy, blame falling demand and Covid19

Isn't this like the 10th time they have filed ? Expensive wheels that hasn't changed designs in years and have been cloned by everyone doesn't help. There are so many players in the wheel market now and with manufacturing in Asia.. you can get quality mass market wheels for a fraction of the price

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm sure their name still has enough equity in itself that another holding corp / investor will give it a go. Re-structure and then try to pimp them out. Rince and repeat until they're nothing but an IP / licensing deal.

Having used them on lots of cars, they make a really good product, German TUV (Inspection) approved and built to the same standards as the OE wheels, really top quality stuff. Unfortunately people don't want to pay the money, they prefer the cheap look alikes.

10 piasses que ça devient un produit VAG parce que Porsche va les racheter à rabais

pure competition as in "race to the bottom": cars are leased for the cheapest price, components are cheapest and the manufacturers' warranty expires with the first lease. Dealer who owns the vehicle re-leases the vehicle with a third party warranty if it's in good shape. Tuner, i.e. individualized cars are soon to be extinct, hence the BBS bankruptcy. Finding pre-bankruptcy parts from any original source will become a collectors' and builders' dream (think art fakes and insurance fraud) Metal composition testing, tracking down the original sources of ores (think antique authenticators), x-ray analysis, whatever.

There's even a gray market for saw mill cutting blades. A local saw mill operator on my rural road was swindled.

pure competition as in "race to the bottom": cars are leased for the cheapest price, components are cheapest and the manufacturers' warranty expires with the first lease. Dealer who owns the vehicle re-leases the vehicle with a third party warranty if it's in good shape. Tuner, i.e. individualized cars are soon to be extinct, hence the BBS bankruptcy. Finding pre-bankruptcy parts from any original source will become a collectors' and builders' dream (think art fakes and insurance fraud) Metal composition testing, tracking down the original sources of ores (think antique authenticators), x-ray analysis, whatever.

There's even a gray market for saw mill cutting blades. A local saw mill operator on my rural road was swindled.

What are you talking about the dealer who leases you a new car doesn't own it... and the aftermarket wheel industry is huge business and growing. It's not the first time BBS has went under. Same wheel catalogue for the last 30 years with nothing really new and prices in the stratosphere.

High prices are likely as a result of high overhead/ manufacturing costs and unwillingness to dilute the brand chasing volume at all costs.

Guess it's hard to be a "niche" manufacturer when your financial overlords see the world through the lenses of neverending growth imperatives and profit margins.

This is disappointing.

In the world of OEM, it is difficult to survive while justifying high quality craftsmanship, components and design when copies are being offered at lesser price.

Back