Why Low Octane Gas in Canada?

Rekkless

I'm guessing it is the temperature, but does anyone know the real reason why only 91 octane gas is widely available in Canada?

Just over the boarder Shell, Exon and all the big brands sell 93 octane fuel. But up here in Canada it is almost nonexistent.

I know Petro Canada sells 94 octane, but it doesn't qualify as Top Tier fuel probably because even the 94 octane gas has Ethanol in it or it doesn't contain enough additives.

But, have we ever been given a reason as to why 93 is not widely available in Canada?

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    698 bytes · Views: 225
I'm guessing it is the temperature, but does anyone know the real reason why only 91 octane gas is widely available in Canada?

Just over the boarder Shell, Exon and all the big brands sell 93 octane fuel. But up here in Canada it is almost nonexistent.

I know Petro Canada sells 94 octane, but it doesn't qualify as Top Tier fuel probably because even the 94 octane gas has Ethanol in it or it doesn't contain enough additives.

But, have we ever been given a reason as to why 93 is not widely available in Canada?

View attachment 44403

Je mets juste du 94 dans ma SS depuis 3 ans et ça fait la job en masse.
Ils recommandent 93+ si je me trompe pas ,pour les LT1.

Je mets juste du 94 dans ma SS depuis 3 ans et ça fait la job en masse.
Ils recommandent 93+ si je me trompe pas ,pour les LT1.

Yes, they recommend 93+ for the LT1. But they also recommend using Top Tier fuel ONLY. The manual also states 91 octane is ok to use, just that lower power and worse fuel economy might result. However I've tried Petro Canadas 94 and couldn't tell a difference compared to Shell 91 or Costco 91, at least on my Butt Dyno.

Keep in mind also California doesn't offer 93 at all, they only sell 91 too. But I do think they carry e85, so I think that would be a preferred option.

Maybe we can convince François Legault that E85 is good for the environment and get him to mandate that all gas stations carry FLEX fuel :D

However why 93 is not widely available in a country like Canada that pumps and refines it's own gas is baffling.

Yes, they recommend 93+ for the LT1. But they also recommend using Top Tier fuel ONLY. The manual also states 91 octane is ok to use, just that lower power and worse fuel economy might result. However I've tried Petro Canadas 94 and couldn't tell a difference compared to Shell 91 or Costco 91, at least on my Butt Dyno...

Because the difference is minimal. There's plenty of tests done on youtube that compare regular (econo vs top shelf) and premium. The difference is marginal and you can't feel it. If 91 is OK, I'd use that unless you don't care about money.

94 has actually more than 10% ethanol, I think it's closer to 15%. I have to retrieve that study but im too lazy. 94 is basically 91 octane + 15% added ethanol which helps with heat and detonation/pre-ignition, that's why tuned cars can run more agressive tunes on that gas and they can market it as "94". For a stock ECU car, it won't do shit on 94.

94 has actually more than 10% ethanol, I think it's closer to 15%. I have to retrieve that study but im too lazy. 94 is basically 91 octane + 15% added ethanol which helps with heat and detonation/pre-ignition, that's why tuned cars can run more agressive tunes on that gas and they can market it as "94". For a stock ECU car, it won't do shit on 94.

Their FAQ says up to 10%. So in other words 10% ethanol. Granted I know ethanol isn't a bad thing. But, you aren't paying for better quality fuel. You are buying normal premium fuel juiced up with ethanol. Also the fact it doesn't meet Top Tier is a turn off as well.

Also for my engine 93 is recommended but 91 is compatible at reduced HP and fuel economy (apparently).

My grandfather used to run 95 in a GAZ-24, because that was mid range.
Top of the line was 98 and in some places you could get 100 or 102
This is in Ukraine

Je met du 94 chez Petrocanada. En quoi c'est de la marde (pas top tier)?

In order to achieve Top Tier certification you have to meet the additives and detergents requirements. I guess Petro Canada doesn't add enough, but they aren't certified.

My grandfather used to run 95 in a GAZ-24, because that was mid range.
Top of the line was 98 and in some places you could get 100 or 102
This is in Ukraine

That is European octane rating (also what we use in Australia) also known as RON (research octane number), in North America we use PON (pump octane number)

PON = RON
87 = 91.1
91 = 95.3
93 = 97.4
94 = 98.5
100 = 104.8

In Australia we are only offered 91, 95 and 98 RON Octane at the pump. And no one I know uses 95. You either put 91 in your econo daily driver or put 98 in a car you like. Granted Australia has a significantly hotter climate so the chance of detonation is higher than a more temperate climate like Canada. However the price difference between 91 RON and 98 RON is the same as Canada's difference between 87 and 91 PON.

What I don't understand is why Shell will sell 93 in Vermont but only sell 91 in Quebec. I guess it must be our insanely high taxes here on gas. But honestly I don't know the difference.

Back