Machine shop for a slight overbore and honing?

darkestfenix

Need a machine shop to overbore and hone a block according to my specs. The other forums are dead and most of the info is old.

Anyone know a reputable shop that they do (or have done) business with?

Right now I have:

• Atelier Mécanique Champion (La Prairie)
  • Innotech Moteur (Repentigny)

I have spoken to them, but no personal experience.

Thanks guys

There is RM in the east end as well. If your block is aluminum/ mag etc and needs liners installed I can send you contact info to a place. We have used Champion and RM for some work in the past and were satisfied with it.

Be prepared to remeasure everything when you get it back no matter which place you use.

What kind of engine?

Tom at TK race should be able to do it easily

F22C, one of the most anal engines to rebuild. It has to be done exactly as Honda intended. Don't want to resleeve. I'd rather purchase a good condition bare short block at that point.

Engine was having random misfires. Next thing I know this happened (probably detonated?) in May 2017 on one cylinder when I was doing a highway pull.

9nopJSN.jpg

TTcebZF.png

Doesn't matter anymore. The reason it was misfiring was because of faulty ignition coil(s). Replaced them all, got the injectors cleaned and put new plugs in. Haven't had a problem in 3 years and about 15k-20k km since then except excessive oil loss on that cylinder since that time.

Everything else works like a charm. Car still pulls strong, but the compression is obviously lower on that cylinder. Anyways, want to fix it at this point including whatever valve repairs need to be made when I check everything in the winter. Tired of having to check the dip stick frequently. The repair probably won't make it good as new, but better than its current condition.

I was always under the impression that TKrace was more specialized in headwork. Does he do the block machine work in-house?

There is RM in the east end as well. If your block is aluminum/ mag etc and needs liners installed I can send you contact info to a place. We have used Champion and RM for some work in the past and were satisfied with it.

Be prepared to remeasure everything when you get it back no matter which place you use.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be triple checking everything before I put it back together.

F22C, one of the most anal engines to rebuild. It has to be done exactly as Honda intended. Don't want to resleeve. I'd rather purchase a good condition bare short block at that point.

Engine was having random misfires. Next thing I know this happened (probably detonated?) in May 2017 on one cylinder when I was doing a highway pull.

https://i.imgur.com/9nopJSN.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/TTcebZF.png

Doesn't matter anymore. The reason it was misfiring was because of faulty ignition coil(s). Replaced them all, got the injectors cleaned and put new plugs in. Haven't had a problem in 3 years and about 15k-20k km since then except excessive oil loss on that cylinder since that time.

Everything else works like a charm. Car still pulls strong, but the compression is obviously lower on that cylinder. Anyways, want to fix it at this point including whatever valve repairs need to be made when I check everything in the winter. Tired of having to check the dip stick frequently. The repair probably won't make it good as new, but better than its current condition.

I was always under the impression that TKrace was more specialized in headwork. Does he do the block work in-house?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be triple checking everything before I put it back together.

From what I've seen TK does everything engine related, block or head.
Based on what you're saying I would consider looking for a new short-block. May save you the hassle of trial and error, regardless of who does the job. There are thousands of VGA'd s2ks.

Compétitech a Ste-Catherine!
Pas mal de chums qui vont la pour faire machiné/assembler leur block et sont ben content.

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

From what I've seen TK does everything engine related, block or head.
Based on what you're saying I would consider looking for a new short-block. May save you the hassle of trial and error, regardless of who does the job. There are thousands of VGA'd s2ks.

I considered it long and hard. I can't find a decent low mileage one at the moment. I'll keep my eyes open for the next little while before I put it into storage and start the teardown. Either the blocks on sale need a resleeve or the engine is still assembled and its a $3,000 USD Russian roulette game. Don't want to put an F20c in it either.

I'm the 3rd owner of the car since 76-78k km... I know that besides that one bad cylinder, everything else on the engine is perfect because of my maintenance regime. It'll probably be around $1-1.5k to fix it all myself. I rather take a shot at it since I'm meticulous and detailed in my work. The only thing that is out of my hands is the block boring/honing, which needs to be done exactly to Honda's specs.

While I can't remember what the name of the shop was, there are very few that can work on the Nicasil liners of the S2000 block.
When I was looking to refresh my block- the only option was sleeving it- and at a cost of 3K.
The very special Honda coating of these cylinders does not allow for traditional boring and honing. I trust TK Race for my engine rebuilds but the machining work is largely done at Moteur National in Montreal north.

Good news is that you can run these engines forever , even if they are puffing- I have not done anything since the diagnostic was preformed, not ready to drop 3K on engine work. The retainers however , were changed as the car sees 9K every trip.

Edit- this is the place to bring your block-
https://www.cvtech-aab.com/en/#

Nika-Tech cylinder replating

Last edited:
While I can't remember what the name of the shop was, there are very few that can work on the Nicasil liners of the S2000 block.
When I was looking to refresh my block- the only option was sleeving it- and at a cost of 3K.
The very special Honda coating of these cylinders does not allow for traditional boring and honing. I trust TK Race for my engine rebuilds but the machining work is largely done at Moteur National in Montreal north.

Good news is that you can run these engines forever , even if they are puffing- I have not done anything since the diagnostic was preformed, not ready to drop 3K on engine work. The retainers however , were changed as the car sees 9K every trip.

CV is the place I sent him in PM and they do Porsche work. Nice to have someone "local"

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Hey Carl! Yeah, read a lot (maybe too much) online regarding this. Nikasil is a thin layer coating in the cylinder vs Honda's FRM (Fiber-Reinforced Metal) used in the NSX, S2000 and Preludes is actually a specially-blended proprietary cylinder sleeve inserted directly into the aluminum block. Unfortunately the two are distinct technologies.

Back