looking for used SUV with manual tranny... what are my options?!?!

delsolxxxsir

Legacy Member
title says it all... has to be reliable... is the crosstrek with the 2.0 a good idea? this forum has me weary of subarus now lol

anything from 2010 and under any good? thanks guys :)

There aren't a lot of options in that segment that still offer a manual transmission.

-Crosstrek is underpowered w/ the 2.0.People complain that it can barely keep it's momentum going uphill when the AC is on. The 2.5 will be a nice upgrade, but CVT only. I guess it depends what you "need' the SUV for as it's more of jacked up compact hatchback than a proper SUV. It does have pretty good ground clearance tho.

-Forester was available with a 6speed stick until 2018 IIRC. You'd have to go back a decade to get an XT with a turbo AND stick. It probably drives a bit better than the Crosstrek with the 2.5. Still pretty slow too.

Both it and the Crosstrek have pretty brutal rev-hang. IE No fun.

-Jeep Compass was available in poverty spec with a stick and awd as an option. Not sure why anyone would consider one of these. Wranglers also have a stick shift option but they're pricy, ride just as bad as you'd expect them to.

There isn't really anything else that comes to mind. Sportwagen was one of the few stick+awd "enthusiast" option but it's a wagon.

Last edited:
Find a mint Vitara/tracker/Grand vitara/XL7 1999-2005. 2000-2004 Nissan xterra are also good trucks, they were quite popular with manual transmissions, but finding a good one will probably be hard. Good luck, i'm a stick shift 4x4 fan and it's a pain having that preference in North America.

If you don't mind having an electric shift transfer case and a weak front differential, 2005-2015 xterra are also a very good option, Very powerful, 6 speed trans that is perfectly geared ( not reverse tho ). People will say they drink a lot of gas but they are saying shit IMO, all real 4x4 will drink fuel. My 2.7L 5 speed 1997 4runner was drinking 11-12L/100km driving like a grandpa and thats with 29" road 4 plys light tires, so a truck with twice the power, 300kg more and with 31" doing 12-13L/100km is not bad at all.

A crosstrek will be alot more fuel efficient but it's a car too.

Last edited:
BMW E83 X3 c’est fait 6mt mais plutôt rare

Toyota RAV4 et Honda CRV se sont fait 5mt mais avant 2005/sur les premières générations

745cbd2a76faab09402ae82dc4a81d42.jpg

J’ai eu un outback manuel 2.5, transmission 6 vitesses, avec upgrade de pneus et swaybar c’etait ok. Ca aurait pris le 3.6litres

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Make a full stop, take off slowly. Automatics aren't bad especially in a SUV. I will add my 2 cents. You can pick up a v6 outlander with a 6 speed auto transmission for about 4k Grab the XLS if you want leather and all the good stuff, or LS if you want the lower end version. I have nothing bad to say about mine.

- forester a arrêté en 2018 de faire des manuelle, beau choix
- Cayenne S ou V6. Arrêt en 2013 de mémoire
- BMW x3 e83 avec le N52. Super fiable, mais laitte en criss.
- Tiguan, mais fwd seulement. 2.0t 2nd gen, pas de ce qui est plus fiable, mais as du potentiel dans les 270hp facile.
- jeep.
- xtrail 2.5.
- xterra , mais le 4.0l boit en criss.
- RAM 2500 avec une boite , ca fait un ''suv'' right?
- rav4, mais seulement le 4cyl
- outlander, mais je pense qu'il est fwd seulement.
- le FJ aussi de fait, mais hors prix.

sinon, le wagon sont de grosseur de SUV dans les début 2000 : BMWe91, Audi A4, volvo v70, saab 93, saab 92x, subaru outback/wrx/legacy

I have a Patriot 2010 4x4 manual. Not an off-road vehicle, excellent 4 cylinder has both power and economy. Tires matter a lot. Will have to sell it because pickup truck with Kevlar tires required.

thx a bunch guys! it's not for me but for a friend, I wouldn't want a SUV if my life depended on it lol but have to respect her choice of manual transmission though :D

Back