Booster pack exploded

Nikkonos

Yeah, you know those little cell phone size booster pack.
Here's what happen, step mom called saying her 2014? Jeep Cheeroke Sport won't start.
I grab some booster cable and my said small booster 'cause I know it work and its easier and quicker to use.

So once at the Jeep, I plug the small booster pack and start car. (took two tries) Then its start. Take the booster off and close the hood and decided in case to follow her home.
I did notice my cable on the pack were hot. Didn't think much of it. INB4 wrong side connection blah blah....

anyways few minutes pass and a loud boom happen, the case broke due to the batteries been inflated and was still hot.

Now, I had this small booster pack for 4-5 years and always worked great, I boosted ALOT of cars with it without problems. I even used it last week to boost my teens Echo. So WTF.
Its smelled like I had cooked the batterie, but everything was plugged correctly! Not a stupid mistake.
Now the Jeep did start and went home without issues, no ''battery'' or ''error messages'' or any warning light in the dash, but it didn't start back at her home.
So she most likely need a new battery.
But why a simple boost from this device fucked up this device, again all connections were correct. Maybe my pack was just ''done'' after all theses years?

Or did the Jeep have a trouble in charging ''overcharging'' the battery, voltage regulator? My device did stayed plugged in like 30 second after starting the Jeep time to get out and take it out.

Weird or what?
Sorry no pics of my exploded pack.

Maybe the pack took in to much Voltage while you left in plugged in?

this is the only thing I'm thinking, 'cause it wasn't the first time that I started a car and left it on while getting off the car to unplug. Too much voltage in less then 20-30 seconds?
Sound like a problem with the Jeep?

Maybe the same battery that was used in the Samsung Galaxy Note 7?

There could be so many reasons why it would do that... You will never know... At least your car didn't catch fire, that wouldn't have been pleasant...

Get a NOCO and never look back.

Maybe the same battery that was used in the Samsung Galaxy Note 7?

There could be so many reasons why it would do that... You will never know... At least your car didn't catch fire, that wouldn't have been pleasant...

Get a NOCO and never look back.

I have a NOCO and I'm disappointed - it has only worked to boost a car once, a co-workers Nissan Sentra. The rest of the time it's not strong enough, even when boosting a small engine like an SX4 2.0l i4.

I liked my chinese made booster.
Paid like 66$ 5 years ago if not more!
I even run my lawn tractor strait up with only this pack for a fews years.
It never fail before.

I'll start searching for another one.

It was probably on its way out already.
Li-ion batteries build up internal resistance as they age, which means some current flow through it exits as heat. Lots of current = lots of heat. Maybe the bump it got from the Jeep pushed it over the edge, heated through the battery shielding enough to let air in and start a lithium oxidizing party.

i will just say the same story i tell most customer

everything was working fine before it stopped working fine lol

Back