Looking at a new to us older home, need advice

FieroAlex

Legacy Member
A property has caught our attention but there are a few issues where I could use some advice.

We are looking at a larger bungalow built in 1967 with 1200sqft of living space with an attached 1 car Garage and a separate 2 car garage/ workshop on a huge lot in a more desirable part of town than where we are currently located.

My question is in regards to the bathrooms. Located on the main floor is the main bathroom, a 2 piece bathroom, and the laundry room located in the attached garage next to the kitchen. In the basement under where the kitchen or 2 piece bathroom is located there is a 2 piece bath and a wet bar on the other side of the bathroom wall. We planned to change the basement bathroom into a 3 piece bath and also to move the laundry room to the basement However on our second visit I noticed that there do not seem to be any floor drains in the basement other than a large sump pump in the far corner. Since it appears to be below grade the current set up is connected to a Macerating system behind the toilet that pumps the water to a drain located in the ceiling. I had never seen this before.

After doing some research it seems I can connect a shower to that Saniflo Sani3 System but from what I gather I would need a separate pump to pump the water from the washing machine into another ceiling drain. Realistically how much work will it be? I was expecting to cut cement and lay drains so I would avoid all of that but I'm sure the macerating system must have it's own difficulties.

Does anyone here have any experience with a macerating system and know how much of a pain in the ass it is to work with?

Also, second point. I would like to install a BendPak GrandPrix GP7 LCS hoist in the garage. The garage has 105.5" of clearance and Bendpak lists the full height as 106.5. Is there a way to gain that missing inch to fit the hoist? The ceiling is covered so I can probably gain 1/2 an inch by removing the press wood ceiling in that area but I'm not sure if I can go any more or if I'll be at the joists. The joists are also going the "wrong way" so I can't just stick the lift in between two of them. If I can't cheat and fit a lift I'm not sure this will work. The ceiling is insulated and it was impossible for me to gain access above to see if there was anything between the joist and press wood.

We haven't made an offer yet, I'm still trying to figure this stuff out but I'll have to figure it out rather quickly.
68730d96550d693cea508c242aa6c023.jpg

Last edited:
Lift: get a floor cable model (small step) to just have the column poke through the ceiling a bit.

a washing machine can pump itself to the ceiling...or at least up to it's head where it's generally high enough to drain in a septic system.

Lift: get a floor cable model (small step) to just have the column poke through the ceiling a bit.

a washing machine can pump itself to the ceiling...or at least up to it's head where it's generally high enough to drain in a septic system.
Sounds interesting, do you have an example that I can look up? This would allow me to have a 'bigger' lift in a smaller garage

Sent from my BBE100-2 using Tapatalk

Do you speak/read french?? It would be easier for me to explain... Anyway, i'll try my best.

If you plan on cutting the cement there is no problem. You would only have to connect everything to a big pump that will drain in the sewage/main drain of the house. You will need a pump like this in this case: https://www.libertypumps.com/Product/Pro380-Series

If you dont want to cut the cement... Maybe your Sani pump could take care of the shower, the sink and the toilet, but you'll have to make sure it does cause not all Sani pump does it. For the washing machine you can NOT put it straight into your Sani pump, cause of the foam/soap and the big volume of water that goes out of the machine at the end of the cycle. What you will have to do in this case is to drain your washing machine into a bassin like the one you see in laundry rooms or in garages first. Then you could connect it to your sani pump or to a smaller pump like this: https://www.libertypumps.com/Product/Model-404

If you have any question, you can ask me. I'm not a plumber but I work for a wholeseller.

Back