Anyone here jog outside in winter?

I ran the other day in about 1c, evening. leggings/shorts, inner shirt+long sleeve running shirt with a tuque, it was slightly on the 'fresh' side but once my body got going it was bearable and I'm someone that hates the cold.

Je recommence à courir dehors aujourd’hui en début de soirée .

Pour une journée comme aujourd’hui: bas compression long, souliers normales, combine de sport très mince+pantalon respirant, t-shirt polyester+chandail polar+ petite veste pas de manches qui coupe le vent, gants mince et tuque mince.

C’est vraiment du essai/erreur, il n’y a pas de formule magique

First time running in -10c. Leggins + shorts + merino wool socks from Costco, longsleeve baselayer + running shirt+ vest + windbreaker and trail shoes. I thought I was gonna freeze as I saw a girl in a big puffy jacket running but as my body warmed up and I got into the groove it felt alright.

FYI -17/-18 is the threshold for face mask. Trial and error is indeed the way to go but over time, you realize that you need less then you first imagine. The body warms up by quite a margin when running. Coldest I ran was -29 on Valentine's day few years back. Eye lashes were frosty white. Nostrils would get glued together when inhaling lol. What is bothersome sometimes in the cold, when you have a slight nose wind, the air you exhale gets back into your face and fogs up your sunglasses. But I put this one into the first world problem bin.

Good for you guys for running all season. Running isn't just good for the heart and lungs and vascular system, it also imposes stress on the bones and forces them develop better mineral density. Stronger stabilizer muscles as well.

rr.jpg

man... running in the snow is not as fun as it look.. legs heavier, ankles working more, wet feet..

Do you guys have any advice for layering and staying dry? I went for a run today and was soaked with sweat half way through

Do you guys have any advice for layering and staying dry? I went for a run today and was soaked with sweat half way through

You were overdressed. Today was very mild, not cold at all. For today's run I only wore a long sleeved shirt, a t-shirt over that, running tights, dollar store hat, dollar store gloves. That's it. It is trial and error. Not everyone runs at the same pace. Generally speaking, the faster you run the less layers you need. Wear one layer less in temperatures like today. If you step outside and you don't feel some chill you are probably overdressed.

Yeah, they say to dress 10 degree higher (so today was around 0, you could've dressed how you dress when it's around 10c)

The most important thing is your base layer, merino wool/synthetic/polyester. That will absorb your sweat and wick it away. You'll then need something to keep yourself warm so a running shirt is nice. I got me a few $15 decathlon running shirts and for the price they are amazing to run in. You can put a vest if it's colder and then maybe a windbreaker over. it's gonna be around -20c this Tuesday so I'm gonna test out a few layers.
I noticed no matter what you'll sweat obviously but as long as your body doesn't freeze due to the sweat that's what's important. I'm soaked but never really cold after a run.

Good to know. I had a vest that might've been too much and my body ended up freezing due to the sweat

Any of you get chest tightness and shortness of breath after a good run?
Tried to lap my yard 5-10 timesand felt it for 35-45min after i was done.

No shortness of breath tough

I attribute it to being out of shape.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

late to the party here but figured id chime in for anyone that finds this thread for next winter.

Ive ran regularly almost every 2 days for 2 winters now. Ive used old running shoes for the past 2 winters that had a lot of mileage on them and were ready for the trash. running on snowy roads is much more forgiving and most the time I don't feel like i need the extra support.

this past season I used an old pair of Nike pegasus 37. I noticed it seemed like we had much more ice and I also bought this cheap pair of traction aids which worked very well on the days that the roads were icy in my neighbourhood.
https://www.sportsexperts.ca/en-CA/...CFVbShiG74pOAEgIz8hoC6b0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

besides that I wear sweatpants(2layers on VERY cold and windy days) thick ski socks and gloves/tuque..nothing fancy.

I wanted to purchase a pair of trail/winter running shoes but the 15$ tractions aids were well worth it and I do not regret it one bit!

Back