Votre avis?

In all honesty, if I go to a garage I'd rather use the parts that they provide to prevent exactly this from happening. Getting into fights is more stress and time than the money you save however, if I ask to use original parts and the garage says that he can`t get it I will usually ask the garage if it's ok for me to bring him ORIGINAL parts, in which many cases they don`t have issues with. If I buy my own jobber parts it's because I expect to do the job myself. The fighting and aggravation is not worth the savings. Now in terms of what happened to the OP, I laugh at the response. Bolts don't just loose by themselves especially after only 600kms. If they didn't fit properly the garage should have said these bolts are garbage, I can order you better ones. He didn`t. The only reason the bolts would get loose is if he didn't tighten them properly. And for those who say they've never seen their mechanic use a torque wrench, well it`s because either they didnt have to on your car yet or maybe your mechanic is not working properly.

When you install a exhaust manifold or headers or anything near the engine you need to use a torque wrench for 2 reasons, 1) so that you don't overtighten the bolts and either snap the bolts or crack the manifold 2) it being so close to the engine the vibration can loosen the bolts so if they're not tightened to spec you wll get exhaust leaks and risk breaking something from the vibration when it comes apart like it happened to the OP.

For all of you arguing about bringing your own parts, not to bring your own parts, it is pointless. The mechanic accepted to do the job, didn't do the job properly, didn't warn the OP about the risk of the bolts loosening up, Either he fixes the issue or he doesnt. If he chooses not to hopefully the OP has a bill (didnt pay cash) he can go to small claims since the labor is guaranteed regardless of the provenance of the parts. The mechanic accepted to do the job he assumes the risk.

Un torque wrench ça remplacera jamais un écrou autobloquant et/ou bolt avec lock washer, et le tout, bien grader. Surtout sur un putain de turbo. Y'en as-tu d'autre mécanicien du dimanche comme ça ou je vais devoir l'expliquer une troisième fois ? Question comme ça, comment calculez vous la vraie spécification du couple d'un serrage en utilisant 1 pied de rallonge et 1 joint flexible ? Et ça, c'est si ça demande pas d'ajouter un "crowfoot plein" dans l'équation.

Un torque wrench ça remplacera jamais un écrou autobloquant et/ou bolt avec lock washer, et le tout, bien grader. Surtout sur un putain de turbo. Y'en as-tu d'autre mécanicien du dimanche comme ça ou je vais devoir l'expliquer une troisième fois ?

lol ninja edit

The problem I have with Rockauto is the shipping costs are overinflated, and to return something is crazy over inflated

a un moment donné , il vont ouvrir une warehouse en Ontario , leur frais de shipping sur article pesant comme des disques de frein + le dédouanage , c'est crazy

In all honesty, if I go to a garage I'd rather use the parts that they provide to prevent exactly this from happening. Getting into fights is more stress and time than the money you save however, if I ask to use original parts and the garage says that he can`t get it I will usually ask the garage if it's ok for me to bring him ORIGINAL parts, in which many cases they don`t have issues with. If I buy my own jobber parts it's because I expect to do the job myself. The fighting and aggravation is not worth the savings. Now in terms of what happened to the OP, I laugh at the response. Bolts don't just loose by themselves especially after only 600kms. If they didn't fit properly the garage should have said these bolts are garbage, I can order you better ones. He didn`t. The only reason the bolts would get loose is if he didn't tighten them properly. And for those who say they've never seen their mechanic use a torque wrench, well it`s because either they didnt have to on your car yet or maybe your mechanic is not working properly.

When you install a exhaust manifold or headers or anything near the engine you need to use a torque wrench for 2 reasons, 1) so that you don't overtighten the bolts and either snap the bolts or crack the manifold 2) it being so close to the engine the vibration can loosen the bolts so if they're not tightened to spec you wll get exhaust leaks and risk breaking something from the vibration when it comes apart like it happened to the OP.

For all of you arguing about bringing your own parts, not to bring your own parts, it is pointless. The mechanic accepted to do the job, didn't do the job properly, didn't warn the OP about the risk of the bolts loosening up, Either he fixes the issue or he doesnt. If he chooses not to hopefully the OP has a bill (didnt pay cash) he can go to small claims since the labor is guaranteed regardless of the provenance of the parts. The mechanic accepted to do the job he assumes the risk.
What are you going to sue for? 1000$ and 2-3 years before you see a judge. If it were me I would replace the bolts , client pays for parts and I'd eat the labor but don't expect anything else.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Un torque wrench ça remplacera jamais un écrou autobloquant et/ou bolt avec lock washer, et le tout, bien grader. Surtout sur un putain de turbo. Y'en as-tu d'autre mécanicien du dimanche comme ça ou je vais devoir l'expliquer une troisième fois ? Question comme ça, comment calculez vous la vraie spécification du couple d'un serrage en utilisant 1 pied de rallonge et 1 joint flexible ? Et ça, c'est si ça demande pas d'ajouter un "crowfoot plein" dans l'équation.

Je compreds ce que tu dis meme a ca c'est le devoir du mecano d'expliquer sa au client non? Quand il voit les bolts t'averti le client.

Je compreds ce que tu dis meme a ca c'est le devoir du mecano d'expliquer sa au client non? Quand il voit les bolts t'averti le client.

Comme j'ai écris plus haut. L'histoire a l'air d'être un kit chinois poser par un atelier de bld industriel

What are you going to sue for? 1000$ and 2-3 years before you see a judge. If it were me I would replace the bolts , client pays for parts and I'd eat the labor but don't expect anything else.

That's 100% reasonable but that's if the mechanic accepts that. And if he doesn't what then? cut your losses and go somewhere else?

a un moment donné , il vont ouvrir une warehouse en Ontario , leur frais de shipping sur article pesant comme des disques de frein + le dédouanage , c'est crazy

I bought an alternator, resent back the core, cost was crazy only for the fucking alt to die month 13, alt was warranty 1year. Ended up buying locally

I bought an alternator, resent back the core, cost was crazy only for the fucking alt to die month 13, alt was warranty 1year. Ended up buying locally
No more local rebuilds. They're shit and you have to do the job twice. Even the new Chinese parts are better/ last longer

I'd do the same and it's pretty much the only way out to keep your reputation around. The bare minimum would be "cost" on labor or huge discount, anything less show what kind of business that place is..

You can prove garage work by testimony if you didn't get a receipt, it's somewhere in the Code.

You can prove garage work by testimony if you didn't get a receipt, it's somewhere in the Code.
Garage will lose either way as the parts were installed. The judge or arbitrator will rule "as professionals you should have known better and didn't provide honest services"

I think that's all he wants. And Small claims is slow, but $1000 is $1000.

I think that's all he wants. And Small claims is slow, but $1000 is $1000.
No offense but 1000$ or even 2000$ .. and they having to deal with trying to collect on the judgement isnt worth the hassle. Either work it out with the current guy or move on with life. File it away as a leaning experience

J'ai fait des comparaisons avec les sites online de parts d'ici au Canada. Même avec le shipping et les frais de douane, Rockauto revient toujours moins cher. Et puis Rockauto a toutes les grande marques qu'ici au Canada sont ''dures'' à trouver.

J'ai fait des comparaisons avec les sites online de parts d'ici au Canada. Même avec le shipping et les frais de douane, Rockauto revient toujours moins cher. Et puis Rockauto a toutes les grande marques qu'ici au Canada sont ''dures'' à trouver.

Yep, it is not worth it to order just one thing or two, but when you combine a bunch of stuff like oil filters, air filters, brakes you save a lot. I have been doing it for 10-15y and saved a ton of money + I try stick with oem / quality stuff like Denso and it is still 2-3 cheaper than local parts store like canadian tire. If I am not mistaken the cabin air filter was like 30-40$ when I looked, this is what I got for 40$ :

Screen-Shot004.jpg

edit : yes fram cabin air filter for said car above is 35$ + tax at CT

Last edited:
Back