Possibly buying an older vehicle (18-19 years old) que

fabchef

Hi gang. I have been thinking of getting an older vehicle (currently platted). What steps are needed to purchase the vehicle? Does it need a road inspection? Evaluation? Is there still a book value on old cars? What are the steps to do and what can i expect when going to register it, to avoid any surprises?
Thanks fab

Old car: 25+ year and over need a taxes evaluation from a certified dealer or place like PG or Tony transfert
Cars between 10-25 years old, no fuck given at the SAAQ for the taxes, yes the famous 1$ purchase price to save taxes...be aware the will look at you funny
Otherwise...buy and plate as long its from QC easy peezy...from ontario you need the QC saaq safety check.

Nikkonos.. ok so if it's less than 20 years old, just go and give them an amount. No other inspection/evaluation required?
I had heard that the "$1" sale wasn't allowed or something like gov't would evaluates for tx purpose? Is that the case here? Or it's all done at the saaq now?
Fab

Nikkonos.. ok so if it's less than 20 years old, just go and give them an amount. No other inspection/evaluation required?
I had heard that the "$1" sale wasn't allowed or something like gov't would evaluates for tx purpose? Is that the case here? Or it's all done at the saaq now?
Fab

The SAAQ years are like this:
1-10 years old its SAAQ book value, no matter how much you actualy pay you pay taxes on what what they have in their book. No inspection needed
10-25 year olds, basicly you can buy a 2000 Integra Type R valued a 30 000$ and declare 300$ at the SAAQ, its fine. No inspection needed
25+ and over, you pay taxes on what the certified evaluation is regarless of actual price paid (note here that there's is 2 type of evaluation you can ask for...one type is for the taxes and the other for insurance purposes)
Agian, no inspection needed.

between 0-100 years old no inspection is needed what so ever. Unless its from ontario or it was unplated for over one year.
But generaly speaking, its pretty easy.
So you can buy and plate a car in QC between 0-25 years olds in 5 minutes and drive it.
25+ little longer trickier due to the evaluation thing

Nikkonos. Thanks again. Got it.
So question. If i want to sell a 30 year old vehicle, is it me (seller) that will get it evaluated first, to let future buyer aware of what they will pay on it, or is it the buyer that needs to get it evaluated?
I find this evaluation think kinda silly.
Fab

To me it seems that, unless you're selling a restored (highee value) vehicle, it will be a pain in the rear to sell an average car that is over 25 years old..am i right on this?

So question. If i want to sell a 30 year old vehicle, is it me (seller) that will get it evaluated first, to let future buyer aware of what they will pay on it, or is it the buyer that needs to get it evaluated?
Fab

Buyer responsability as most of the SAAQ clerk will require the evaluation to be in the buyer name's.
Some will say seller evaluation is good for 1 years...but its earsay and grey area...can't confirm

To me it seems that, unless you're selling a restored (highee value) vehicle, it will be a pain in the rear to sell an average car that is over 25 years old..am i right on this?

pain a bit yes, becauase you have to take the car to a dealer that will accomodate this, not all dealer will do it, so call ahead and places like PG or similar can cost 100-125$ (but some with go onsite to make the evaluation)

So 25+ year old car can be a little of a pain for a clunker.

Yup it seems like a pain. So silly. They should kinda make a subclass for registering it. Ie: if it's a vintage mustang, lets say that has been restored or for you to fully restore, then you should get it evaluated. If it's a old topaz , lets say, for daily driving or is on its way out..no evaluation needed.
Makes sense?

Yup it seems like a pain. So silly. They should kinda make a subclass for registering it. Ie: if it's a vintage mustang, lets say that has been restored or for you to fully restore, then you should get it evaluated. If it's a old topaz , lets say, for daily driving or is on its way out..no evaluation needed.
Makes sense?

I get you, but the lady at the counter don't lol
I know about old antique they should get categorized, but it would be a pain to do for the gouv worker.

Fab

Its totally silly yes, i would say it's the buyer AND seller problem really, if its not evaluated you cannot sell it and the guy cannot buy it, so it is to be dealed with whatever party have more time in is hands if you ask me. Who has more leverage ? the buyer or the seller, if the seller is a dick and say things like, the evaluation is NOT my problem, well it is sir because you won't be able to sell the car unless you do a "procuration" but that is now really risky with photo radars n'shits.

I sold a 30 years old military vehicle 3-4 years ago and i had a hard time ( read impossible ) getting it evaluated in Gatineau, i went to Val-d'or because i knew someone who worked in a dealer here and anyway i was selling it to someone from Abitibi. I could have said to the buyer that the evaluation was not my problem, so instead of selling it in 3 months maybe it would took me 2 years to find my fish...

Government don't give a shit about our time, it's a complete PITA, for me a 24yo cars is worth more than a 25yo only for that reason, you lose money on the evaluation AND got taxed on a fake amount.

If you are selling or buying a mint expensive rare car it's not the end of the world but for a cheap shitbox its drive the price up quickly, driving buyers away. The guy that invented that "law" should be guillotined.
The amount of 500$ ATVs/snowmobiles/dirtbikes that people don't bother selling because of that shit must be high, i mean FFS the taxes was already payed numerous times, give ourself a break. QC government is always doing little stupid thing like that to make a dime.

Jean Charest is probably getting a hard on reading my post.

Ontario is worse 14 years old + you need an appraisal or a bill of sale from a dealer which might not be accepted forcing you to still get the appraisal done

The reasoning for 25+ year old is due to the classic car market. If you held on to it for that long or similar it's likely worth something so need to obviously pay tax. Imagine how much they make from each sale... When I sold my E34 it was resold 4x

Each appraisal was 100$, 300$ of tax each shot...

Its totally silly yes, i would say it's the buyer AND seller problem really, if its not evaluated you cannot sell it and the guy cannot buy it, so it is to be dealed with whatever party have more time in is hands if you ask me. Who has more leverage ? the buyer or the seller, if the seller is a dick and say things like, the evaluation is NOT my problem, well it is sir because you won't be able to sell the car unless you do a "procuration" but that is now really risky with photo radars n'shits.

I sold a 30 years old military vehicle 3-4 years ago and i had a hard time ( read impossible ) getting it evaluated in Gatineau, i went to Val-d'or because i knew someone who worked in a dealer here and anyway i was selling it to someone from Abitibi. I could have said to the buyer that the evaluation was not my problem, so instead of selling it in 3 months maybe it would took me 2 years to find my fish...

Government don't give a shit about our time, it's a complete PITA, for me a 24yo cars is worth more than a 25yo only for that reason, you lose money on the evaluation AND got taxed on a fake amount.

If you are selling or buying a mint expensive rare car it's not the end of the world but for a cheap shitbox its drive the price up quickly, driving buyers away. The guy that invented that "law" is on a private yacht by Monte Carlo somewhere.
The amount of 500$ ATVs/snowmobiles/dirtbikes that people don't bother selling because of that shit must be high, i mean FFS the taxes was already payed numerous times, give ourself a break. QC government is always doing little stupid thing like that to make a dime.

Jean Charest is probably getting a hard on reading my post.

Government doesn't differ much from any private business.
There is just an unknown number of shareholders.

there seems to be cases recently of people getting fined by revenu Quebec because they declared 1$ or much less than what they paid. They ask for proof of money transfer and if there is none, they will do their own evaluation, charge the tax and 30% in fine.

Puma, I understand what you're saying.
I think that if you pay a some what decent amount for a car (ie: 2000 civic for $2000) it should be ok?

Yes, they make money on every time a car gets registered.
Fab

Puma, I understand what you're saying.
I think that if you pay a some what decent amount for a car (ie: 2000 civic for $2000) it should be ok?

Yes, they make money on every time a car gets registered.
Fab

je crois que le 1$ existe plus c'est 250-500$ minimum…(je peut pas te le confirmer) mais j'ai souvent entendu ca récemment.

Mais pour info je voulais acheter vielle voiture 1995 et c'étais trouble surtout en région, par contre un dealer ford était prêt a me faire le papier (c'était mustang, donc ca leur semblait correct) il mon dit qu'il peuvent passer ''carcasse'' a 200$ (genre achte vielle ford a remonter….. mais si j'achetais voiture de 20 000$ il ne voulais pas le faire pour risque de se faire ''prendre''

il était pret a me le faire si char valait pas trop cher (char 8000$ passé a 4000$....)

finalement trop trouble j'Ai acheter char 1999 sur rive sud….problem regler j'ai déclarer 1500 2000$ de mémoire (le gars m'avait dit qu'il l'avait passer 3000$ voila 2 ans alors j'ai trouvé que ce suivait une ''logique'')

Back