Looking for recommendations: proper good diesel mechanic

-OG-

Administrator
Does anyone here know a good diesel mechanic that knows Detroit/GM 6.5’s?

I need some stuff looked at on the new project before I start rolling the ball.

Needs to be someone that specifically knows the 6.5, I don’t have time for modern day mechanics trying to learn on my dollar lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best advice

Run very fast in the opposite direction and never look over your shoulder.

Probably the worst diesel engine of the last 30 years.

One of my old foreman in a garage used to work at GM when these things were new and it was already a piece of shit.

Told a good friend of mine a couple years ago to don't buy it and he didn't listened. Cost him a small fortune to get it somewhat right.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

My best advice

Run very fast in the opposite direction and never look over your shoulder.

Probably the worst diesel engine of the last 30 years.

One of my old foreman in a garage used to work at GM when these things were new and it was already a piece of shit.

Told a good friend of mine a couple years ago to don't buy it and he didn't listened. Cost him a small fortune to get it somewhat right.

People moan about the Ford 6.0 and say it’s the worst engine ever, or how the 24V Cummins is ass shit.

I’m just looking for a good diesel mechanic that knows how to work on the 6.5

The engine is so bad it was the most used engine in the history of American military and most likely one of the most used Detroit engines in marine applications to this day still.

I’m not in it for rolling coal and making 1000hp don’t worry. Also I already own the vehicle, just looking for someone who knows these inside out. My current mechanic doesn’t do anything diesel, except TDI because they have an ex VW tech in house.

People moan about the Ford 6.0 and say it’s the worst engine ever, or how the 24V Cummins is ass shit.

I’m just looking for a good diesel mechanic that knows how to work on the 6.5

The engine is so bad it was the most used engine in the history of American military and most likely one of the most used Detroit engines in marine applications to this day still.

I’m not in it for rolling coal and making 1000hp don’t worry. Also I already own the vehicle, just looking for someone who knows these inside out. My current mechanic doesn’t do anything diesel, except TDI because they have an ex VW tech in house.

Only know one guy that work on these and he's in Drummondville so it's far from you.

But still the 6.0 Powerstroke is still better than the 6.5 GM if you ask me.

After you delete the EGR valve and cooler and you replace the injectors (because the Ford one cracks) they are pretty much bullet proof. I know I own 4 of them.

Only know one guy that work on these and he's in Drummondville so it's far from you.

But still the 6.0 Powerstroke is still better than the 6.5 GM if you ask me.

After you delete the EGR valve and cooler and you replace the injectors (because the Ford one cracks) they are pretty much bullet proof. I know I own 4 of them.

I know the 6.0 isn’t shit. Internet warriors don’t know much. I drive one at work, same truck for 3 years and nothing bad that’s not regular maintenance has broken. I have pictures somewhere of me on the (closed) scales weighing in at like 30 000 lbs. things are beasts.

Thedieselpage forums have quite the good explanation on why the 6.5 has a bad rep, and why it’s not as bad as people say it is. Other than a specific module that goes toast if you don’t relocate it and the harmonic balancer being a regular maintenance item (haha), just keep an eye on the egt’s and it should be fine. You are right it’s not a Honda engine. But I know that and I won’t be towing or hauling with it. Just highway driving.

I see where you’re coming from but I’m not thaaaat worried. thing runs strong and has survived 19 years so far. Thinking it would have died already if it needed to. My buddy had a 6.2 in his truck and ripped it accross Canada twice, and the guy who bought it from him did a couple trips too haha.

I’m across the island in saint sauveur, Drummond is a bit far for a checkup but shoot the shop name I’ll take a look at them

Suscribe to diesel garage forum, you will find older(more like retired) mechanic who know these piece of shit engines

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

I see you already know about dieselplace.
That's likely the best online resource for the old detroits.

I had an old 6.2 so I never had to worry about the PMD. A lot of people rigged the glow plugs to a switch in the dashboard so that they could run them at will vs relying on the built in circuitry. If you get the right ones, they're self-limiting so you can't burn them out. Mine were set up that way and it was helpful in Winter. Probably a good idea to inspect them.

What is yours in?

I see you already know about dieselplace.
That's likely the best online resource for the old detroits.

I had an old 6.2 so I never had to worry about the PMD. A lot of people rigged the glow plugs to a switch in the dashboard so that they could run them at will vs relying on the built in circuitry. If you get the right ones, they're self-limiting so you can't burn them out. Mine were set up that way and it was helpful in Winter. Probably a good idea to inspect them.

What is yours in?

2001 express 2500.

It’s at the shop right now getting checked up by my mechanic for safety. Other than that engine wise it was perfectly fine when I checked it out and drove it home. I’m guessing the PMD was already relocated in the past 20 years. I’d be surprised if it didn’t.

It’s for a conversion camper. I literally can’t blow this thing up.

Paid very cheap, old tire shop van sold to an old man who used it to move antique furniture. Called the garage that used to own it and got full service history. They said it’s a solid truck but don’t buy it for more than x amount which I didnt.

Let’s find out if it’s a time bomb.

Back