opinions..winter tires for bmw x1.. run-flat vs regular.....blizzaks vs pirelli?

fabchef

Hi gang, we're shopping around for some winter tires for our 2016 bmw x1. the car has run flats right now. we're debating weather to get regular or run-flat winter tires. in runflats there seems to be about 3-4 options out there.
I know there is the blizzak's (not sure which model number) and the pirelli sottozerro 3 both in run-flat form. Which of these would you recommend?
do you recommend just getting regular tires? might suck if we get a flat though...
any info would be great. thanks
fab

Run flats are no bueno. Biggest scam... twice the price, still have to replace them if you get a puncture and they are loud....

pirelli sottozerro = junk

Exact ,between the Blizzs and Sottozero, Blizzak's no brainer.
Blizzak are nosier than Pirelli
B are softer than P
B last less km than P
B have much better traction than P on snow.
B have a bit worse traction on dry than P.
I guess during winter you are not drag racing.

Blizzak 100%
You just can't go wrong with them.
I would go normal tire. It's not often that you get a flat and most people just call caa when they do

Envoyé de mon SM-G970W en utilisant Tapatalk

Exact ,between the Blizzs and Sottozero, Blizzak's no brainer.
Blizzak are nosier than Pirelli
B are softer than P
B last less km than P
B have much better traction than P on snow.
B have a bit worse traction on dry than P.
I guess during winter you are not drag racing.

415.png

OP,
I used to run Bridgestones lm-001 on the F10 in winter and I really liked them because they were almost as quiet as summers on dry asphalt, they had really good traction in the wet and otherwise fine performance in the snow/ice.
They're definitely not the best out there if you're looking to concentrate on a snow/ice tire but I went for that specifically because we drive maybe what 5-10% of the time on snow/ice during the year? And they do the job just fine.

I also run Bridgestone WS80 on the suv, and that shit is loud but performs really well in the snow and ice.
Can't complain because fuckyouSUVoffroadingwinning so it was worth it

La cacane avec la slime et le compresseur, c'est bon pour des usages vraiment spécifiques, comme un petit trou dans un sidewall ou bien dans la semelle. Ça peut dépanner pour quelqu'un qui a pas les doigts dans le cul. C'est bon en hiver surtout quand tu veux pas trop te geler le cul dehors.

Les Runflat vont te ramener chez vous ou bien au garage si le pneu a un dommage sur la carcasse de côté (même avec un morceau qui manque), ce qu'une cacane avec de la slime ne peut pas faire.

L'affaire c'est que pour la différence de prix avec les runflat, il faut que tu en aies vraiment vraiment besoin selon moi. Tu pourrais avoir un pneu conventionnel et appeler une remorqueuse à tes frais en cas de besoin que ça reviendrait moins cher pareil.

Bien sûr, rien ne remplace le bon vieux pneu de secours mais c'est passé de mode ça. À la place, ils font un foam de la forme d'un pneu de secours et mettent des insert pour la cacane de slime.

Fuck les runflat, pognes des bons pneus d'hiver et traine une cacane.

Personellement, je préfères avoir des cordes à tire que la cacane parce que c'est bon tout le temps (oui, je vis dangereusement).

Hi gang, we're shopping around for some winter tires for our 2016 bmw x1. the car has run flats right now. we're debating weather to get regular or run-flat winter tires. in runflats there seems to be about 3-4 options out there.
I know there is the blizzak's (not sure which model number) and the pirelli sottozerro 3 both in run-flat form. Which of these would you recommend?
do you recommend just getting regular tires? might suck if we get a flat though...
any info would be great. thanks
fab

As mentioned run flats are huge garbonzo beans. Why are you limiting yourself to Blizzaks in non run flats? The Blizzaks are very good but you can grab some Continental Viking 7 tires and have money to spare on a CAA membership if you don't have one already to deal with flats.

As most mentioned, RFT are more expensive usually louder, and tend to offer a harsher ride on our belle province roads.... (& once used after a flat, should not be repaired, and must be thrown out)

If you don't plan on driving long distances in remote areas, I'd recommend you go with quality brand regular/normal tires.

Ask yourself the question; how many times have you been left stranded because of a flat/punctured tire? - take a decision from there. :)

Thanks gang.
Assman, agreed with your comment, we don't get flats often. We decided to go with regular tires instead.
So we have some choices:
Bridgstone blizzaks
Goodyear wintercommamd (can't get reviews on it)
Or
Continental winter contact (not sure how they are)
Anyone hear about the ladt two brands?
Thanks
Fab

Yes it's true about runflats...if they puncture or have a problem, they usually don't fix them, gotta buy brand new!
For god sakes man! Put regular tires and include a spare! Wtf???

Thanks gang.
Assman, agreed with your comment, we don't get flats often. We decided to go with regular tires instead.
So we have some choices:
Bridgstone blizzaks
Or
Thanks
Fab

I had the Conti extreme contact, very good, but after 20000km they were done. I guess flooring it at each stop sign didn't help :p

Thanks gang.
So we have some choices:
Bridgstone blizzaks
Or
Thanks
Fab

Generally any major brand or sub-brand will do a good job; Eg. Continental = Gislaved , Michelin = Uniroyal

here are a few reviews on the goodyears you're interested in ;
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=WinterCommand

since you already are 4x4 if it was me id get decent snow and ice tires like gislaved or if you want to go all out id get nokians.

i am the owner of a 4x4 bmw too and i decided to go for cheap chinese winter tires all year long and it goes very well.

depends, good would be chinese tires like zetas, better would be gislaved and best would be nokians for my point of view and the reality of our conditions. :)

I had the Conti extreme contact, very good, but after 20000km they were done. I guess flooring it at each stop sign didn't help :p

Definitely your driving.
I sold my used Conticontact with 14 000 km. I put in the add 7/32. It was a wild guess. New are 11/32 so I said half used after two winters.
A guy who owned a tire shop came to buy them. Measures them at 8/32(two rear probably) and 9/32 ( front I guess). He goes ok, here's the money.
Wanted to tell him as a joke, ok more expensive now but did not want to give him a heart attack.
After Nokian, is my favorite tire for snow traction.
On another hand , the Pirelli Scorpion are not bad, would be my third choice.

Je tripe pas sur les Conti. Ma femme à ça sur son X1 et j'ai ça sur mon X3. Je trouve pas que ça travaille bien. On sent pas que ça colle sur l'autoroute quand c'est enneigé. Difficile de changer de voie quand c'est enneigé, sur la glace c'est moyen. On va faire un autre hiver avec car on bouge moins avec le confinement. C'est peut-être meilleur en ville mais pour l'autoroute je suis pas impressionné.

Thanks gang.
So we have some choices:
Bridgstone blizzaks
Or
Thanks
Fab

J'ai roulé 2 saisons sur des Continental Winter contact. Vraiment un bon pneu pas très dispendieux. Le flanc est pas trop mou et il n'est pas bruyant. J'en rachèterais c'est certain.

Back