Pontiac G8 (v6).. opinions? Any owners out there?

fabchef

Hi guys, was wanting to get your opinion on there short-lived cars? I've always loved the lok of these cars, very unique. Are they good? Reliable? Thinking of the v6 models. Are they the same as Cadillac with 3.6 engine? Any known issues?are parts haed to find? Thanks
Fab

Bonne plate forme

Intérieur et plastique assez cheap GM pre 2009 style
V6 = timing chain

I'd buy a V8

Hey gang.
Are the timing chains the chains themselves, or the tensioners?
Is it a "for sure to fail" thing, or more of a "keep up with oil changes so it doesn't fail" thing? Haha
Are they prone to leaks? Tranny failure?
I know the V8's rock, but hard to find and quite expensive.
Would a Cadillac with same engine be a smarter choice? I prefer the uniqueness and look of the g8.
Other option would be 2006+ impala ss. I know it's fwd, but has LS4 V8. Not sure of their reliability?
Thanks fab

Tant qu'à considérer un G8, à défaut d'en trouver une... les autres modèles compétiteurs sont:
Ford Taurus SHO
Dodge Charger R/T

Les moins:
Timing chain a vérifier.
C'est très vache.
C'est un V6.

Niaise pas avec ca et va te cherché un GT avec le V8 6.0 litres.

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

I have a V8 G8.

Good cars. Expensive parts. Often it's cheaper for me to import parts from Australia than to buy them locally.
www.g8only.com is a good source for parts in the USA
www.g8board.com and www.grrrr8.net are good reference forums

These cars are hard on the front suspension. Top mounts especially.

V6 has timing chain issues like pretty much every other GM that used that V6.
The 6.0L V8 GT has issues with the cylinder deactivation system which people usually de-activate.
The 6.2l V8 GXP is super rare and pretty hard to find. If you get a manual they have issues with the salve cylinder located inside the transmission. I haven't had this issue but it exists (knock on wood).

Fiero, thanks. I didn't think it was that hard to get parts for it, body parts maybe.
I figured it shares parts with other gm parts?
Thanks again.
Fab

I have a V8 G8.

Good cars. Expensive parts. Often it's cheaper for me to import parts from Australia than to buy them locally.
www.g8only.com is a good source for parts in the USA
www.g8board.com and www.grrrr8.net are good reference forums

These cars are hard on the front suspension. Top mounts especially.

V6 has timing chain issues like pretty much every other GM that used that V6.
The 6.0L V8 GT has issues with the cylinder deactivation system which people usually de-activate.
The 6.2l V8 GXP is super rare and pretty hard to find. If you get a manual they have issues with the salve cylinder located inside the transmission. I haven't had this issue but it exists (knock on wood).

this guy is right, i love mt g8 gt but parts are expensive (not worst than euros) and hard to find. the thing i hate the most is you cannot change radio in those cars and bluetooth is almost unavailable.

this guy is right, i love mt g8 gt but parts are expensive (not worst than euros) and hard to find. the thing i hate the most is you cannot change radio in those cars and bluetooth is almost unavailable.
Don't bother replying to fabchef. He asks a new car question once a month. Look up his post history. There is zero intention on buying anything

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Fiero, thanks. I didn't think it was that hard to get parts for it, body parts maybe.
I figured it shares parts with other gm parts?
Thanks again.
Fab

Engine wise, not really a problem.

Body, Suspension, Brakes, steering can get expensive.

When I bought my car back in 2014 I needed a 3rd brake light for the safety inspection. It's a LED light strip so not a simple light bulb. It was at the time a dealer only item, not sure if it still is today. GM Canada wanted $400 for the strip and that was not installed. I ordered it from Australia for $99 usd shipping included.

It's not a cheap car but it's a rewarding car to drive around. I really like my car.

Fabchef troll to the extreme

Don't bother replying to fabchef. He asks a new car question once a month. Look up his post history. There is zero intention on buying anything

Dude seriously! Not quite sure if ur trolling or ur serious! It's a car forum and hes asking questions! So what if he doesn't end up buying one or changes his mind!!

As for the car itself! V6 vs V8 there's a big price difference! It's a sweet looking car tho! I'm actually looking to buy one myself, maybe! If I find a low mileage one for a decent price!

As for the impala SS with the LS4, having owned one, I can't complain! It is fwd, so torque steer. If u gun it from a stop, hold on with both hands loool it's really fun to drive! Now they apperently have tranny problems but I tend to think it's where it's very hot all year round....I never had an issue and I drove it like I stole it! Also the Monte Carlo Ss and Pontiac gxp carry the ls4 too! If ur looking to go that route! Good luck finding a decent one for sale tho!

Dude seriously! Not quite sure if ur trolling or ur serious! It's a car forum and hes asking questions! So what if he doesn't end up buying one or changes his mind!!

As for the car itself! V6 vs V8 there's a big price difference! It's a sweet looking car tho! I'm actually looking to buy one myself, maybe! If I find a low mileage one for a decent price!

As for the impala SS with the LS4, having owned one, I can't complain! It is fwd, so torque steer. If u gun it from a stop, hold on with both hands loool it's really fun to drive! Now they apperently have tranny problems but I tend to think it's where it's very hot all year round....I never had an issue and I drove it like I stole it! Also the Monte Carlo Ss and Pontiac gxp carry the ls4 too! If ur looking to go that route! Good luck finding a decent one for sale tho!
He asks these questions often it's almost become a regular occurrence. Fuck you actually believe it at this point? I guess you fall into the trap

Honestly, I don't care lol

If it doesn't help him maybe it'll help someone else in the future looking for one of these cars!

Honestly, I don't care lol

If it doesn't help him maybe it'll help someone else in the future looking for one of these cars!
Aint nobody looking at a V6 G8 unless it's on the backlot at the 5th chance financing place

La transmission cest une 4T65-HD comme sur les anciens W-Body qui possédais les 3800 Supercharged. J'en n'ai tué 3 transmission comme ça.. sont vraiment fragile. T'a juste été chanceux.

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

Back