Anyone dealt with Beanfield Metro for a fiber line to their house?

rollingsound

I'm not getting FTTH any time soon from Bell it seems. I'm inquiring with these guys Beanfield if they can get me fiber connection over GPON, that's TBD. But have any of you guys' ever dealt with them?

I really need symmetrical up/down even if it's 500mbps it'd be a fucking game changer for my productivity since I'm WFH for the foreseeable future and run a Plex server for my friends and family etc. I actually use the bandwidth and am bottlenecked in the evenings. Plus it'd be fucking cool not to deal with God damn Bell or Videotron.

Max I can get from major players or resellers for non business lines is 50mbps up.

So by chance have any of you guys dealt with them and can they be relied upon?

Thanks

Do you live in a condo complex? Or its a home/duplex/something similar?

I never heard of them but by reading up, from what I understand of their solution is they bring in their services in multidwelling buildings where they redistribute to many doors using a gpon solution. Another hint is their "is beanfield in your building?" on their website. So if you live in anything with less the 40-50 doors, chances are they wont be able to service you.

If you use those type of services one important question to ask the provider is "will my public IP be assigned only to me or is it the same for the entire building"? Even if it's DHCP, you dont want to be sharing the same public IP as strangers, especially if you're running servers and will want to setup remote accesses. They might just be bringing in a 10gig link in the building to share with all the users, but only have a few IPs for their own use, not to provide to users.

On their website they advertise 50$ for 1gig symmetrical..... when it's too good to be true, there's a reason....

Do you live in a condo complex? Or its a home/duplex/something similar?

I never heard of them but by reading up, from what I understand of their solution is they bring in their services in multidwelling buildings where they redistribute to many doors using a gpon solution. Another hint is their "is beanfield in your building?" on their website. So if you live in anything with less the 40-50 doors, chances are they wont be able to service you.

If you use those type of services one important question to ask the provider is "will my public IP be assigned only to me or is it the same for the entire building"? Even if it's DHCP, you dont want to be sharing the same public IP as strangers, especially if you're running servers and will want to setup remote accesses. They might just be bringing in a 10gig link in the building to share with all the users, but only have a few IPs for their own use, not to provide to users.

On their website they advertise 50$ for 1gig symmetrical..... when it's too good to be true, there's a reason....

Sooo if they do that, they sure as shit better keep logs of who gets what IP at what time at the site... They just give everyone their own VLAN at the site? Weird

Sooo if they do that, they sure as shit better keep logs of who gets what IP at what time at the site... They just give everyone their own VLAN at the site? Weird

Correct. they put you on your own vlan with your own private IP subnet, your info is safe from your neighbors. But anything going in/out of the building transits on the same pipe using the same public IP. So let's say their link gets tracked for torrents, they will receive the letter advising of illegal torrents, and then it's up to them to see if they put in place a tracking mecanism to find where the data came from internally. That's IF they're unable to provide everyone with their own public IP address...

So my guess is they'll tell me they can't do it anyway so whatever... but man, it's so damn hard to get good upload bandwidth unless you're in new construction, Bell's taking forever with last mile FTTH retro

If Bell isn't rolling out FTTH to your house, then certainly beanfield/openface will not service your house...

they won't build all the infrastructure to your house for $50 / month lol

Back