The housing prices are kinda getting a bit fucked up thread

Although they popped in price like everywhere else, my God, Cowansville, there are some really nice, newly built, huge private homes for $500K or less. WFH lifestyle, close to Sutton and Bromont, no traffic, good air, good neighbors (generally)... There are so many reasons not to move that far out, but after looking at how good I could be living 80-90% of the time (The time I don't need to be in the city), it gets tempting. My friend and his wife are doctors and moved out there for the rural premium and built a ridiculous home with a backyard with all the good stuff like a beautiful inground pool, hot tub, all the landscaping... It's a different life, but it might be worth it

I did say this before but post-pandemic a lot of companies will most likely let their employees work from home fulltime or part time where they only have to come to a physical office 1-2 times a week or so, obviously depending on the industry. Companies like facebook already told that their employees may work from home even after the pandemic so I only see a lot of other companies follow suit.
The way I see it, bigger companies may downsize their physical office saving on rent and thus people that live downtown paying $2000+/month in rent will start an exodus towards the suburb which already is happening.
After all why not get yourself a nice house when the mortage is actually cheaper than rent and the quality of life is 10 times better?

The REM is about to connect people from the south shore to the airport and north shore so hopefully we will be able to spread the population south/north alleviating congestion on the island.

I did say this before but post-pandemic a lot of companies will most likely let their employees work from home fulltime or part time where they only have to come to a physical office 1-2 times a week or so, obviously depending on the industry. Companies like facebook already told that their employees may work from home even after the pandemic so I only see a lot of other companies follow suit.
The way I see it, bigger companies may downsize their physical office saving on rent and thus people that live downtown paying $2000+/month in rent will start an exodus towards the suburb which already is happening.
After all why not get yourself a nice house when the mortage is actually cheaper than rent and the quality of life is 10 times better?

The REM is about to connect people from the south shore to the airport and north shore so hopefully we will be able to spread the population south/north alleviating congestion on the island.
Also the benefit of living in some of those areas might not be worth it anymore. Think restos/ bars closing type deal. Many people who previously never wanted to own a car or such went out and bought a car... We have done many PPIs for first time owners or people buying a car after years of not owning.

Yeah because 6 months of WFH means that it will stay like that forever , right ?

New normal, right ?

Hope you have a high demand job that will bring you the income you need outside of the big centers.

I work in tech (very specific right), nothing's forever but if I stay with this organization I doubt it's ever going to be M-F in the office ever again. I'd wait for a formal WFH policy to kick in before making any decision. Then if that happens I need to factor in being "locked-in" to a WFH role for foreseeable future.

Lots of tech companies are reviewing salaries and will lower them for WFH employees. It will likely trickle down elsewhere.

People will be lucky if their salaries won't be affected if they WFH and mostly do Zoom calls in their boxers and yoga pants. Better make sure you can find a job in the town you decide to live in 150km away. There is nothing stopping any company from hiring someone in Poland, Estonia, Slovenia, Croatia etc who'll gladly work for a fraction of locals if it is truly going permanent WFH.

Lots of tech companies are reviewing salaries and will lower them for WFH employees. It will likely trickle down elsewhere.
Exactly. The same big tech nammed above are reviewing salaries based on the cost of living. Wanna live 10 hrs away from Silicon Valley,.well you dont need that much of a pay to afford the rent then.

Yeah because 6 months of WFH means that it will stay like that forever , right ?

New normal, right ?

Hope you have a high demand job that will bring you the income you need outside of the big centers.

My company already announced that WFH will be the new normal, up to 100% of the time. The common outcome being that most will go in a day or two voluntarily for meetings and just to keep in touch with colleagues. Most professional white collar jobs I can't see being much different than us as they all fight to have the same perks. A good example is half day Fridays. 5 years ago, rare to almost non existent in Quebec. Now pretty common with people I know in my industry and even others.

The real benefit: snowy day ->stay home no questions asked, stupid driver crashes on the bridge creating a traffic nightmare -> stay at home. Even if a person did have to go into work 4 or 5 days a week I still think employers will allow more flexibility on these shitty days to work from home as opposed to having their employees frustrated with the commute.

Hence the farther suburbs will be a hot market in the coming years if things don't change trajectory.

My company already announced that WFH will be the new normal, up to 100% of the time. The common outcome being that most will go in a day or two voluntarily for meetings and just to keep in touch with colleagues. Most professional white collar jobs I can't see being much different than us as they all fight to have the same perks. A good example is half day Fridays. 5 years ago, rare to almost non existent in Quebec. Now pretty common with people I know in my industry and even others.

The real benefit: snowy day ->stay home no questions asked, stupid driver crashes on the bridge creating a traffic nightmare -> stay at home. Even if a person did have to go into work 4 or 5 days a week I still think employers will allow more flexibility on these shitty days to work from home as opposed to having their employees frustrated with the commute.

Hence the farther suburbs will be a hot market in the coming years if things don't change trajectory.

Yep this.

FB GOOG whatever won't pay some Bay Area senior engineer $350K/year US if they move to Colorado, BUT, they'll pay them $290K (boohoo).

In terms of talent, has anyone here ever dealt with "cheap" outsourced talent in the East? It's a joke, they're like a computer that needs to be programmed, if you don't have analysis and doc that's down to the letter you get shit. You're better off working with a team of Westerners. There are exceptions, but in terms of engineering talent I'd go with home base talent every single time, you'll never deliver on time otherwise. Personally I don't make nearly as much as my previous example (not even close lol), so the differential of using me or a "cheap" zoomer from Bangalore makes it's pretty much a no brainer. You say "make this magic button for the client", I know what you mean and you can trust that you don't need to micromanage myself or my team, we are on the same page. Give that same task to someone in the East and you better be checking in multiple times per day and be ready to answer questions CONSTANTLY.

If you're a good performer an organization will want to keep you happy, at least in my current line of work, I used to work in finance and that was NOT the case lol, they didn't G.A.F. about their top guys even, completely insane way to manage an org.

Ma blonde a été rappellé par Desjardins

Ils lui ont offert un poste d'ASO temps plein, assurance, elle repart avec son ancienneté, tout ca a domicile 35hr sem. Elle a eu une formation de quelques jours a distance avec une fille du Bas St Laurent pis il lui ont fourni un portable toute équipé, 400$ pour qu'elle s'achete un bureau pis bon soir.

Elle est a la maison full time

J'ai 3 amies chez Nordia, en télétravail depuis avril, elles ont meme des primes pcq elle travaille a domicile.....

Ma blonde a été rappellé par Desjardins

Ils lui ont offert un poste d'ASO temps plein, assurance, elle repart avec son ancienneté, tout ca a domicile 35hr sem. Elle a eu une formation de quelques jours a distance avec une fille du Bas St Laurent pis il lui ont fourni un portable toute équipé, 400$ pour qu'elle s'achete un bureau pis bon soir.

Elle est a la maison full time

J'ai 3 amies chez Nordia, en télétravail depuis avril, elles ont meme des primes pcq elle travaille a domicile.....

Yeah even BMO is going towards much more WFH, never thought I'd see the day. In fact when I was there we were in an office space crunch and I made a pretty much iron clad case for the team to WFH most days and hot swap desks as required, they didn't want to hear it. Few months WFH this Spring they realize how much overhead they could cut and got excited and now all of a sudden the cheap bastards are all excited about it... the banks never cease to amaze me.

Yeah even BMO is going towards much more WFH, never thought I'd see the day. In fact when I was there we were in an office space crunch and I made a pretty much iron clad case for the team to WFH most days and hot swap desks as required, they didn't want to hear it. Few months WFH this Spring they realize how much overhead they could cut and got excited and now all of a sudden the cheap bastards are all excited about it... the banks never cease to amaze me.
At my wife's work they commented on how productivity went up initially but now is falling since everyone is on teams all day for endless meetings

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

At my wife's work they commented on how productivity went up initially but now is falling since everyone is on teams all day for endless meetings

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Yeah there is going to be a whole new cottage industry of consultants etc. who teach how to motivate workers who WFH, new workflows, accountability etc. We're dealing with this now. By CHANCE we had a lucky hire and we now have a lead who's a god damn rockstar who's sole focus is on delivery and he keeps us moving down the field. I do my best to keep the guys motivated and have buy in, but I can only go so far in my role. Having these types of guys who keep others accountable and aren't afraid to call people out are GOLD in this new reality.

People will be lucky if their salaries won't be affected if they WFH and mostly do Zoom calls in their boxers and yoga pants. Better make sure you can find a job in the town you decide to live in 150km away. There is nothing stopping any company from hiring someone in Poland, Estonia, Slovenia, Croatia etc who'll gladly work for a fraction of locals if it is truly going permanent WFH.

Truth.

That's what happened to me in the early 2000s when I was working for a company called webhelp while going to school, which offered tech and customer support to companies like MSN, AOL, Gateway purely online via a chat system.
We were getting paid $10/hr and after a while depending on the review we would get increments of $.50 up to $12/hr. Life was cool, working right in front of McGill Univ.
Then weird rumours started circulating... that we were all gonna get laid off. Then one Friday it happened. Boom all gone.
We found out that the operation moved to India since for $12/hr they could hire someone with a Master's degree and they all spoke and wrote perfect English.

Post pandemic I can see this slowly happening...

Truth.

That's what happened to me in the early 2000s when I was working for a company called webhelp while going to school, which offered tech and customer support to companies like MSN, AOL, Gateway purely online via a chat system.
We were getting paid $10/hr and after a while depending on the review we would get increments of $.50 up to $12/hr. Life was cool, working right in front of McGill Univ.
Then weird rumours started circulating... that we were all gonna get laid off. Then one Friday it happened. Boom all gone.
We found out that the operation moved to India since for $12/hr they could hire someone with a Master's degree and they all spoke and wrote perfect English.

Post pandemic I can see this slowly happening...
Lots of corporations did the out sourcing thing to India etc and all ended up moving back. Why? Because the quality of work is horrible and then you need to pay someone in the west to fix it. The customer support call centres might have stayed overseas but heavy financial or engineering work is here along with good programming The master's degrees are worthless and English is understood quite literally..

So no your job isn't going to end up being done by someone in Eastern Europe. It's funny those countries were mentioned because they all have substantial brain drains... Young educated people gtfo and go elsewhere in the EU

Last edited:
Je n'avais pas réalisé à quel point le marché était fou jusqu'au moment ou mon ami à vendu son bungalow sans garage dans Duverney Laval à plus de 75K du prix affiché qui était déjà overpriced lol...

Dans mon secteur, les maisons semblables à la mienne se vende 100-125k plus $ que ce que j'ai payé en 2014

Ma femme et moi on parlait de vendre pour s'acheter plus gros, mais rester dans le même coin, mais on risque de payer une surenchère et frôler le 900k d'investissement. Fuck that, on va agrandir et garder notre petit chez soi entretemps.

À 3 km de chez nous, il y a un développement résidentiel avec des condos et des unifamiliales. On a regardé pour le fun et tu as rien en bas de 800k, ajoute à ça tout les extras. Sinon à Laval, la majorité des terrains restants pour le développement, les gens se font pousser des tours à condo ou des appartements lol...

Bonne chance au nouveaux premiers acheteur heheh

Laval n'émet plus de permis de construction individuels pour des unifamilialles.

J'ai hate de voir ce que ca va donner avec le WFH

On a beaucoup de clientele de Mtl qui ont déménagé dans les cantons (plusieurs qui ont vendu leur maison et vivent a leur ''chalet'') car ils travaillent de la maison et se rendent en ville 1-2 journée semaine.

La pluspart on leur organise un internet qui se respecte pour le WFH mais le monde en reviennent pas a quel point ils ont améliorer leur qualité de vie avec le télétravail en région.

J'ai hate de voir ce que ca va donner sur le long terme a Mtl mais je suis étonné de voir que le marché est tjs en ébulition sur l'ile meme si c'est la folie en région

Ma belle-mere a maintenant un appart a Sherbrooke et garde la maison au lac comme ''chalet'' et elle a déja eu 4 offres sans meme avoir parler de vendre la maison....

La elle vient d'en recevoir une assez bonne, CASH, sans inspection, sans condition et son meme pret a payer pour une partie des meubles...

Ça me fait sourciller cette mentalité de baisser la rémunération globale parce que tu travaille à distance. Autant que je suis du ''côté'' patronnal que je ne comprend pas pourquoi on paierais moins cher pour un employé qui exécute la même tâche, à distance, sans occuper d'espace de bureau et sans nécessiter de bureau, chaise, ordinateur, etc etc.

Si tes indicateurs de performance suivent la réalité du travail de ton monde et que les équipes répondent à l'appel, je ne vois pas la raison de baisser la rémunération. Les entreprises qui envoient du monde travailler depuis la maison sans aucun indicateur par rapport à la qualité du travail accompli et par rapport à l'accomplissement des tâches réelles se ramassent avec un 40% de gens qui vont réduire la cadence, c'est inévitable (manque de formation, éthique douteuse, besoin de supervision, etc). De baser la paie de quelqu'un sur le concept de présence au bureau pendant 8h, mais que la personne prend 4 pauses café, jase avec son voisin, commet une tonne de gaffe, etc, ça vieillit mal et ça ne responsabilise pas les gens.

Pour les autres offres, les gens offraient de payer en nature?

NOn mais des offres qu'ils doivent passer par la banque avant donc tu peux te ramasser dans une transaction qui aboutie pas

La le gars fait un cheque pis that it y'a pas a demander de permission a a son banquier...

Back