Toyota Celsior/Lexus LS400.

Metro666

In 1989, Toyota Celsior, destined to go abroad as the first flagship for LEXUS, the LS400, achieved a 120km/h (70mph) cruising speed cabin sound level of 63db. That's about as quiet as an empty office with a few PC's humming.

This was over 31 years ago.

Toyota did this without digital noise cancelling, nor exuberant use of sound deadening in the body structures. They did this by sampling over 500 different prototype timing belts on the engine, and by having Yamaha engineers go through acoustic characters of every section of the engine from intake to the valvetrain with the same process as their musical instruments. Aisin to invent and register 33 new patents to reduce mechanical noise in the transmission and differential gears, bearings, and brakes. Bridgestone to make a set of brand new tires to do the same. Aerodynamic development for every curve, corner, and gap with operations more than spent for Formula One cars. A brand new design of air suspension system to absorb more noise.

At around the same year, a Rolls Royce Camargue/Silver Spur, , Cadillac Fleetwood, and the W140 Mercedes-Benz S500 with premium dual pane glass and weights of far more than the LS registered sound levels almost twice as much as the Lexus LS.
A Tesla Model S, today registers 71 db the same speed, although to be fair, the Tesla does have a set of loud high performance tires.

Brand new, it idled so quietly that Toyota had to install auto-cycling starter mechanisms on the engine, to prevent re-cranking of the engine as new owners would not hear it idle.

Impressionnant de savoir a quel point que Toyota passais leur limite de la technologie a ce point!

b621fa2f4e19922e5a9072e0e1d2871a.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

I remember even the starter cranking was extremely quiet. Like you would not hear the engine cranking, really great engineering

Also i find the heating system and ac very efficient and overall insulation. You could stop the heating and car would get cold as fast. Probably due to the better insulation and double pane windows

These cars are the reason why BMW, Mercedes and Audi started building better cars. Those manufacturers were actually some of the first owners of LS400s to tear down. Toyota went with a timing belt because a chain variant of the engine was too loud by a few DBs. The optional nakamichi sound system was specifically designed for the acoustics of the interior... One of the first cars to have done so. Everything was modern, well engineered and executed. Cost was not an option. Air suspension was an option but wasn't needed as the steel suspension was perfect.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Ca date pas d'hier que chaque fois je vois un vieux LS400 je stalk ca comme si c'était un char exotique

Over 3500 engineers and techs and 25 engineering teams developed that car. They spent $400 million on the engine alone...in 1980's dollars to develop ONE car. The test and R&D fleet was 450 cars.

Ca c est la ES.
La LS est dans une classe a part
Je le sais que c'est la es la Lexus camry, mais reste qu'une vieille LS ressemble à une camry stretchée, ça ne transpire pas le luxe au premier coup d'oeil comme une Mercedes de l'époque.

Je le sais que c'est la es la Lexus camry, mais reste qu'une vieille LS ressemble à une camry stretchée, ça ne transpire pas le luxe au premier coup d'oeil comme une Mercedes de l'époque.

Esti que les vielles mercedes c etait de la grosse dompe sans ounlier le volant de 2 pieds de diametre, comme un camion criss... rien de luxe là-dedans

Esti que les vielles mercedes c etait de la grosse dompe sans ounlier le volant de 2 pieds de diametre, comme un camion criss... rien de luxe là-dedans
This here. Even the W140 was based off pretty old "thinking". XJ40 as well... However Mercedes knew their clients very very very well. Much did Jaguar, BMW and Audi. Lots of stuff was carried over. It's around the mid to late 90s did you start to see the first major chances in thinking and marketing.. even more so with Mercedes in the last 10 years. To me the first modern Mercedes is the W220 and W211 EKlasse

Toyota was an entirely clean sheet design. It rewrote what a luxury car should be and as I said it's the reason why the rest started making better stuff.. well still some exceptions with Jaguar

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Ca fait 5 ans jai le mien, cest pas tuable. Je me sens mal de men servir comme beater mais ye pas assez mint pour etre un garage queen.

Attachments

• 20161229_131826.jpg
    20161229_131826.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 71
Pour 1989 le design etait tres beau, peu importe ce que broody y pense.

Attachments

• 45e803ab74537cdfac16c381457e571d.jpg
    45e803ab74537cdfac16c381457e571d.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 71
Reste que ça évoquait le luxe dans l'esprit de tout le monde, et c'était facilement identifiable.

Back