best tire to avoid tram lining

Takimo

i been driving with extreme tram lining for years, i have 275/40-20 front and 315/35-20 on the rear , what the best tire or spec to look for to avoid tram lining ?

I dont think tire models are going to change much. I have witnessed reduction of that effect with narrower rims (oe wheels for winter with 275's).

Last edited:
Tram-lining is caused by tire width/profile/tread block, my 265's do it as well no matter the tire I've used, the 225's on my wife's car don't. At 275/315, you're running low profile tires, so unless you have bad tire wear/alignment issues or suspension problems, you're sort of stuck dealing with it.

Im near the end of life of the tire, around 2/32 for sure, it certainly have an impact on the way the tire behave?

Are you running run flat tires?

I didnt know this was a thing, i thought it was normal because of the grooves on the highway (normal but weird because i dont recall feeling this on my previous cars).
I just read up quickly after seeing this thread and replies and i saw it was more common with run flat tires (dont shoot me i just read 2 sites). My next set will not be RF so im curious to see if it will keep happening.

The biggest factor is tire width. Not much you can do about it.

Well, change to a narrower tire?

You might need narrower wheels to run narrower tires.

Maybe the assist in the electric power steering tune can be increased to mask the effect.

Not running on runflat, my wheel are fuckig wide, i know it doesnt help but i love the look

Other idea, if you can switch to a slower-ratio steering rack, do it.

Gain on EPS could be increased by reduction of the torsion bar diameter (machine shop lathe job).

Back