New Tax on Luxury Cars (2021 Budget)

Yep and this is his Justin will balance the federal budget by 2026.

Nothing will be balanced, a shitpile will be handed to his successor.

The successor will have to make cuts and be unpopular to bring things back into order.

At that point, the youngest of the electorate will vote in the next generation of the Trudeau family to the Prime Minister position...

I don't just blame Justin, Chrystia Freeland also seems complicit in this.

*insert politician here* is the worst this world has ever seen.

people have been saying this forever; JT is no different. He's not great, but he has a lot on his plate. get over it.

My condemnation for JT is targeted; I don't hate on all politicians.

I had no major complaints with Stephen Harper, and I'm okay with François Legault.

So If buy a 200k car....and trade in a 250 k car....do I pay this tax or not ?
There is a 50k difference, so is it taxable extra 20% ?

In Australia we have a 33% tax on luxury cars valued at $77,565 for fuel efficient cars (Tesla, high MPG Petrol cars) or $68,740 for other vehicles. It is also applied to vehicles that are 2 years old or less but is only applied once (to make sure Demo or old but new cars are still taxed).

This tax however is ONLY calculated above the threshold after GST. For example if someone were to sell a new performance vehicle for $80,000 after GST, you only pay LCT on $11,260 which is $3,715.80 extra tax.

This tax in turn has artificially inflated the price of cars Australia wide (that along with other factors and additional taxes) especially since the Australian dollar doesn't buy as much as the Canadian or US dollar. It has made even reasonably spec'd vehicles much more expensive and in turn you see many older vehicles on the road that are arguably less safe.

This is indeed a dark day for Canada, although it does appear that the 20% tax is also only taxed on the dollar amount over and above the $100,000.

Also when it comes to Politics if you vote for ANY party that is LEFT of Center just expect your taxes to go up, that is all they do. Tax n Spend, Tax n Spend. You might not like the Conservative party but at least you know they cut spending before they increase taxes. The fact that Quebec has no real Right of Center parties (except CAQ kind of) is a testament and proof of how Quebec has by far the highest taxes in the country (and is still a have not Province requiring the bulk of equalization payments).

Last edited:
Back