Toronto man leaves Nissan at dealership tech drives the vehicle 180 km . asshat.

je laisse mon truck au dealer pour une camera pis il me revien avec 180km de plus au compteur ... je te garantie que je casse toute dans place.

Yup mais pour troubleshooter une caméra de recul, pas besoin de road test je crois bien, t'as juste à reculer en dehors de la shop quand le trouble est réparé.

Pas vraiment vrai. Oui et non.
J'ai eu un probleme avec ma camera de recul , qui fonctionne pas PAR FOIS, quand il faisais froid ( metons en bas 5ºC) .
La seule maniere de "tester" ca ,c'etait de laisser l'auto et le mecano aller avec a la maison. Ok , j'etait averti, " il va faire 50 km avec". Sur l'application ils faisait 20-25 km ...mais tout ca pour dire...que un camera de recul c'est pas juste reculer pour voir si ca marche ou pas.

Il y a en tout temps deux versions a une histoire...

Pas vraiment vrai. Oui et non.
J'ai eu un probleme avec ma camera de recul , qui fonctionne pas PAR FOIS, quand il faisais froid ( metons en bas 5ºC) .
La seule maniere de "tester" ca ,c'etait de laisser l'auto et le mecano aller avec a la maison. Ok , j'etait averti, " il va faire 50 km avec". Sur l'application ils faisait 20-25 km ...mais tout ca pour dire...que un camera de recul c'est pas juste reculer pour voir si ca marche ou pas.

Il y a en tout temps deux versions a une histoire...

Alternativement, il pourraient le laisser parker dans la cour du garage et voir si la caméra marche le lendemain matin dans des conditions climatiques différentes.

C'est pas comme si le char faisait un bruit spécial quand la transmission / moteur sont froide / chaude. Ça m'as l'air d'un tech qui était plus que content que mettre du mileage sur le char de quelqu'un d'autre.

I think the bigger problem is that he had the insurance tracking device. Seeing that the tracker recorded him going over 140km/h in a 100km/h zone will effect his insurance premiums negatively. Why ppl actually agree to use these devices still boggles the mind but still. In Ontario where insurance premiums are crazy if the mechanics test drive effects his insurance then he has reason to complain. For many here if somebody else drove your car at those speeds I think we'd bitch too.
I sure as hell wouldn't like it. It's not his car and in the worst case if he totalled the car like another so called dealership who scrapped a Lamborghini we'd all be screaming and yelling and trying to get as much attention as possible like this owner. Those who are trying to pardon the mechanic should really think about what it means to respect other people's property.

I think the bigger problem is that he had the insurance tracking device. Seeing that the tracker recorded him going over 140km/h in a 100km/h zone will effect his insurance premiums negatively. Why ppl actually agree to use these devices still boggles the mind but still. In Ontario where insurance premiums are crazy if the mechanics test drive effects his insurance then he has reason to complain. For many here if somebody else drove your car at those speeds I think we'd bitch too.
I sure as hell wouldn't like it. It's not his car and in the worst case if he totalled the car like another so called dealership who scrapped a Lamborghini we'd all be screaming and yelling and trying to get as much attention as possible like this owner. Those who are trying to pardon the mechanic should really think about what it means to respect other people's property.

This. LOL

No chance I'd ever put one of these things in my car.

I had a driving tracker and it worked to my advantage***. It only recorded accelerations, decelerations, routes & times. So since I was a daily commuter, driving from Montreal to Laval during rush hour, those are big hitters. But I'm a really smooth driver so that bettered my score. In the end, I ended up saving about 20% out of a possible 25%. The times I drove like an asshat, I selected the option 'I was a passenger' and that's it. It's a phone application.

It didn't work flawlessly though and it did hit me with a couple of abrupt accel/decel out of nowhere but I think that's to reduce the number of people getting perfect daily scores.

No mechanic needs to drive your car more than a couple of kms to diagnose an issue, and never needs to take it beyond highway speeds. I'd be pissed to.

Gynecologist : yeah so I checked your wife out, but ya know, gotta take her for a real spin for a couple of hours just to make sure everything is top shape. Don't worry; I'm a professional.

True story : highschool friend of mine became a mechanic @ his dad's shop. ''Test drove'' a client's supercharged Buick @ 190 for a wobble on a country road and missed a curve. Flipped the car several times and slammed into a ditch. He survived and sustain really minor injuries. Funny enough, he doesn't work with his dad anymore.

I don’t know how Gregster or anyone can justify driving at approx 150kph at a distance of 180km. to fix a camera?

Moreover there is no excuse , driving 150kph on the 401 is not a cry baby thing
It’s receiving a letter that you car has been seized by the OPP and you have a 1000 $ ticket thing ie Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

I can’t believe anyone is trying to justify the mechanics behaviour . If it was me I’d be talking to some lawyer friends on my next move .

150kmh c'est le speed minimum que j'utilise pour dépasser 2-3 voitures d'un coup

Alternativement, il pourraient le laisser parker dans la cour du garage et voir si la caméra marche le lendemain matin dans des conditions climatiques différentes.

C'est pas comme si le char faisait un bruit spécial quand la transmission / moteur sont froide / chaude. Ça m'as l'air d'un tech qui était plus que content que mettre du mileage sur le char de quelqu'un d'autre.

Ben non, les dealers ont des parkings extérieurs chauffés donc faut que le mécano l'apporte chez lui absolument, peut pas le laisser la nuit dans la cour à côté des autres char.

I had a driving tracker and it worked to my advantage***. It only recorded accelerations, decelerations, routes & times. So since I was a daily commuter, driving from Montreal to Laval during rush hour, those are big hitters. But I'm a really smooth driver so that bettered my score. In the end, I ended up saving about 20% out of a possible 25%. The times I drove like an asshat, I selected the option 'I was a passenger' and that's it. It's a phone application.

It didn't work flawlessly though and it did hit me with a couple of abrupt accel/decel out of nowhere but I think that's to reduce the number of people getting perfect daily scores.

No mechanic needs to drive your car more than a couple of kms to diagnose an issue, and never needs to take it beyond highway speeds. I'd be pissed to.

Gynecologist : yeah so I checked your wife out, but ya know, gotta take her for a real spin for a couple of hours just to make sure everything is top shape. Don't worry; I'm a professional.

True story : highschool friend of mine became a mechanic @ his dad's shop. ''Test drove'' a client's supercharged Buick @ 190 for a wobble on a country road and missed a curve. Flipped the car several times and slammed into a ditch. He survived and sustain really minor injuries. Funny enough, he doesn't work with his dad anymore.
Lol couple kms. If only it were that easy sometimes. Not everything is a YouTube video. I've taken clients cars home and driven them long term to diagnose issues. It's not like they didn't know. Clients who trust you don't mind. I've taken Porsche's, Z3 M Coupe, M3s. Range Rovers. The lot. Not all issues manifest themselves in your "few km road test". Cold starts don't neither do some ignition or fuel issues. I've had an E36 M3 with a fueling issue, lean condition but only after a heavy period of driving under the correct conditions. Hooked up a fuel psi gauge in the shop, everything was fine, quick loop, everything fine. Start driving on the highway after 40-50kms fuel psi really started getting wonky. How about after a gearbox rebuild or similar?

That sorta road test is maybe a tad excessive but not unheard of in certain circumstances. Maybe you should go speak to student13s lawyer friends... Last I checked lawyers only take on cases they know they'll win. I'm pretty sure the tech got a bitching from the GM and Service Manager.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lol couple kms. If only it were that easy sometimes. Not everything is a YouTube video. I've taken clients cars home and driven them long term to diagnose issues. It's not like they didn't know. Clients who trust you don't mind. I've taken Porsche's, Z3 M Coupe, M3s. Range Rovers. The lot. Not all issues manifest themselves in your "few km road test". Cold starts don't neither do some ignition or fuel issues. I've had an E36 M3 with a fueling issue, lean condition but only after a heavy period of driving under the correct conditions. Hooked up a fuel psi gauge in the shop, everything was fine, quick loop, everything fine. Start driving on the highway after 40-50kms fuel psi really started getting wonky. How about after a gearbox rebuild or similar?

That sorta road test is maybe a tad excessive but not unheard of in certain circumstances. Maybe you should go speak to student13s lawyer friends... Last I checked lawyers only take on cases they know they'll win. I'm pretty sure the tech got a bitching from the GM and Service Manager.

I agree that certain** things need more extensive road testing; I'm willing to bet almost nothing done at a dealership requires any more than a couple of kms of diagnostic testing. Your client that has more knowledge about what you're doing with the car and knows you doesn't compare to a client taking his car in for a service / simple installation at a dealership.

Unprofessional mechanic joyriding a customer's car. Doesn't matter if it's a Micra or a Ghost.

I agree that certain** things need more extensive road testing; I'm willing to bet almost nothing done at a dealership requires any more than a couple of kms of diagnostic testing. Your client that has more knowledge about what you're doing with the car and knows you doesn't compare to a client taking his car in for a service / simple installation at a dealership.

Unprofessional mechanic joyriding a customer's car. Doesn't matter if it's a Micra or a Ghost.
You don't work in the industry so don't make assumptions.. dealers often have engineers from the OEM around diagnosing problems that the tech is having an issue with or reoccurrence. A friend of mine had his Veloster at Hyundai three times already for popping ECUs and the engineer was Hyundai was on site for 2 of the 3 repairs. They finally went ahead with harness replacement. I've pointed out before we are missing details of the story. Did they owner call in asking for something to be check after the fact? Happens all the time. Keys are back on the board and there is a new work order for the car you just punched out on or hand written note.

So while yes the majority of repairs don't require long road tests, maybe 80% but there is 20% that do. I have a 20km road test loop and sometimes go even longer depending on the need. If that's the case the client is contacted just to give a heads up we are going to drive it more.

Only a handful of cars I've seen have those OBD2 trackers which need to be disconnected to hook up my scanner. For all we know it wasn't even the mechanic driving the car but rather a lot jockey. Trust me we don't like driving clients cars. The last thing I want is to be involved in an accident or have a photo of me taken in some rare car that the internet blows up out of proportion. It's happened with a Ford GT I was delivering to a customer who's chill as hell

Greg, i'm not doubting your professionalism.

I'm saying this guy was joyriding (...a Nissan.) and it wasn't right for him to do it. I don't think any part of the story is missing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I'm saying this guy was joyriding (...a Nissan.) and it wasn't right for him to do it. I don't think any part of the story is missing.

It wasn't right and I do believe parts of the story are missing. These public outrage/ interest tales paint the person as a victim of some horrible crime. Media outlets love them because of the clicks/ shares. It's the same story over and over. Dealer/ garage rips off clients, car wash damages car, dishonest dealer has fine print. Automotive, airlines, contractors and appliances are all easy targets.

Believe it or not most problems in life can be solved through reasonable means without getting the media involved.

It wasn't right and I do believe parts of the story are missing. These public outrage/ interest tales paint the person as a victim of some horrible crime. Media outlets love them because of the clicks/ shares. It's the same story over and over. Dealer/ garage rips off clients, car wash damages car, dishonest dealer has fine print. Automotive, airlines, contractors and appliances are all easy targets.

Believe it or not most problems in life can be solved through reasonable means without getting the media involved.

well, sometimes (maybe not here) it takes the media to embarass the company/industry/individual to set a precedence.

Which this dealership failed to do... That was basically strike number three:
1- the distance
2- the way the car was driven
3- threatening to call the police for the owner "spying" on his own car and kicking him out of the store.

The client was probably being a bit difficult. But then again, that's why there are managers. To resolve these issues in a reasonable manner.

And that one sounds like he might have been better at selling maintenance packages and running an efficient shop than he is at problem solving. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy in a modern car that you don't own. It's that simple. Think of all the Onstar and FordPass connect vehicles these dealership employees are taking home. The mothership knows exactly where they are / what they're doing at all times.

Don't want to make the news? Let buddy vent, apologize, pretend you're gonna do something about it and offer something for the inconvenience (fuel, service, car wash wtv)

It's not exactly rocket science.

Back