DEVS : Do you use UML, how and why?

ThePapi

I'm studying software development at the moment and I must say I fucking hate doing UML.

I don't want to do a shit job because I've been getting straight A's in programming and Database shit and would like to keep it that way, however it seems like I'm totally wasting my time when I could just open up code and figure it out from there.

It seems to me that it's a cool tool to quickly explain abstractions to other devs, but as far as modeling entire systems I just don't see the point since when the coding actually starts no one is going to go back to the diagrams to keep them up to date.

Can someone please explain to me what they do with UML in the context of their actual fucking job?

At my job while leading a project I learned a valuable lesson: Business continuity.

If you’re a one man shop doing small programs no one will care, including yourself. The customer probably wont care either because he wont want to pay too much either.

But if you’re doing something major that implicates a team and other people to take over one day, this will save them alot of time and the customer alot of money.

Look at it this way: someone designed a large program and disappeared and now you are hired to take over and fix it. If you plan on simply diving in the code and reverse engineering it, you’ll want to kill yourself. If you had a proper diagram you will save alot of time to find all the links left and right.

Now when we search for companies for work if they dont provide extensive documentation we wont even consider them.

Last edited:
At my job while leading a project I learned a valuable lesson: Business continuity.

If you’re a one man shop doing small programs no one will care, including yourself. The customer probably wont care either because he wont want to pay too much either.

But if you’re doing something major that implicates a team and other people to take over one day, this will save them alot of time and the customer alot of money.

Look at it this way: someone designed a large program and disappeared and now you are hired to take over and fix it. If you plan on simply diving in the code and reverse engineering it, you’ll want to kill yourself. If you had a proper diagram you will save alot of time to find all the links left and right.

Now when we search for companies for work if they dont provide extensive documentation we wont even consider them.

+1 on this.
And youd be surprised how long early design decisions sticks around in application.
Ive designed things on my own ~15years ago. Documented it. Now got 15 coders expanding on that code base... but the initial principals are still valid.

Makes total sense.

Have you ever used tools to reverse-generate UML from existing code just to get an idea?

I don't even think that's possible.

Databases maybe.... but code? pretty sure someone would have to go through it manually.

the code have always gaps with the design for many reasons.

I prefer BDD scenarios with proper automatisation that links business needs with the real shit : the code

High level schema are useful for showing parts involved. UML are usefull to show an implemented pattern but they can’t garanteed reality … they needs to be kept at minimum if you don’t want waste your time on it and no on delivered value…

Back