Nouveau Pont de l'Ile aux Tourtes - Pas de voies réservées ou de rails pour le REM

Quick599

Adding rem across the bridge would have a network spiral effect on frequency as the system was never designed to cover those distances on that side of the island…. The system was never designed for vaudreuil operations. However not designing a bridge with future provisions is stupid. A vaudreuil area centric rem system would be needed to feed ste Anne’s

It’s the same problem as morons wanting a station south of the 20 in dorval. It’s single rail at the section…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding rem across the bridge would have a network spiral effect on frequency as the system was never designed to cover those distances on that side of the island…. The system was never designed for vaudreuil operations. However not designing a bridge with future provisions is stupid. A vaudreuil area centric rem system would be needed to feed ste Anne’s

It’s the same problem as morons wanting a station south of the 20 in dorval. It’s single rail at the section…

This. No need for the train from Vaudreuil/Hudson/St-Lazare to go downtown. It can bring commuters to the terminal in Ste-Anne and from there they can take the REM.

But we are governed by people with a lack of vision so before that happens we will have another few pandemics.

This. No need for the train from Vaudreuil/Hudson/St-Lazare to go downtown. It can bring commuters to the terminal in Ste-Anne and from there they can take the REM.

But we are governed by people with a lack of vision so before that happens we will have another few pandemics.

REM is not the way to service something so sparsely populated. Suburban train is the right answer with better service off peak. REM is essentially a light metro. This is the same argument people in Chambly are having. We want REM! But an actual train is a better choice

If we do actually care about the environment then extending mass transit to great distances is not the right answer. All it will do is encourage urban sprawl. People will be able to get to work from far away. But they will need private cars for moving about locally. In European small towns many of the people who take commuter trains live within walking distance of the station. And do most of their local errands close by. It's very compact.

Vaudreuil has serious issues with urban planning. It’s all based around owning a car and using a car.

Building new track to serve 10K sq.ft. lot subdivisions is insane. Same for building more highway to serve exurbs…. Living far away should be painful or we will run out of space and trash whatever is left of the environment! I am fine with people moving to the sticks if they can work remotely. It can be a good lifestyle for some.

So should there be a provision on the bridge for future use? Yes. Is it needed now? Absolutely not

REM is not the way to service something so sparsely populated. Suburban train is the right answer with better service off peak. REM is essentially a light metro. This is the same argument people in Chambly are having. We want REM! But an actual train is a better choice

Not when CN owns the tracks. You'd have to build a new network of provincially owned tracks for that, if that's even possible. That's already why the train is limited in its availability... CN won't give municipal trains any more track time.

If we do actually care about the environment then extending mass transit to great distances is not the right answer. All it will do is encourage urban sprawl. People will be able to get to work from far away. But they will need private cars for moving about locally. In European small towns many of the people who take commuter trains live within walking distance of the station. And do most of their local errands close by. It's very compact.

Vaudreuil has serious issues with urban planning. It’s all based around owning a car and using a car.

Building new track to serve 10K sq.ft. lot subdivisions is insane. Same for building more highway to serve exurbs…. Living far away should be painful or we will run out of space and trash whatever is left of the environment! I am fine with people moving to the sticks if they can work remotely. It can be a good lifestyle for some.

So should there be a provision on the bridge for future use? Yes. Is it needed now? Absolutely not
Urban sprawl is happening regardless of the availability of mass transit or not.

Urban sprawl is happening regardless of the availability of mass transit or not.

I never denied it. It’s just these areas crying for REM without actually reading it’s mission statement is laughable … I’d rather see transit solutions fixed on island in areas with lacklustre public transit vs an off island suburb getting a new train service with sparse density.

I never denied it. It’s just these areas crying for REM without actually reading it’s mission statement is laughable … I’d rather see transit solutions fixed on island in areas with lacklustre public transit vs an off island suburb getting a new train service with sparse density.
That's normal, you live on the island and don't give a shit about the people in the suburbs.

That's normal, you live on the island and don't give a shit about the people in the suburbs.

I care within reason. Meaning I want to see public transit getting better as a whole. However i don’t feel bad for those who made poor life decisions and moved 50km from where they work then moan about the drive. Chances are those people would still drive vs take public transit

I care within reason. Meaning I want to see public transit getting better as a whole. However i don’t feel bad for those who made poor life decisions and moved 50km from where they work then moan about the drive. Chances are those people would still drive vs take public transit
If you had the choice between buying a house off-island or living in an apartment in Montreal for the rest of your life what would you choose?

If you had the choice between buying a house off-island or living in an apartment in Montreal for the rest of your life what would you choose?

Nice condo in Montreal. Off island Suburbs offer nothing to me. I lived in Vaudreuil and hated every moment of it. I don’t need a giant yard or driveway. We don’t have kids and even if we did the city is fine for kids. I grew up in a 5 and half on plateau

Maybe maybe only place I’d consider is something around Dix30 or st lambert

So when are they planning to build this new bridge?

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

Je trouverais ça une bonne idée si le plan était de ne pas faire aller le transport en commun trop loin pour lutter contre l'étalement urbain. Malheureusement, il n'y a pas de tel masterplan.

In European small towns many of the people who take commuter trains live within walking distance of the station. And do most of their local errands close by. It's very compact.

Old Ste-Anne used to be like that and it's still doable, except for the lack of a hardware store since 2000 or so. It's also ironic that the Ste-Anne Rem station is outside of town and actually targets off island people. We lived there for almost 15 years and my father loved to walk 3 minutes to the train station (I could also use his car whenever I wanted).

Last edited:
Back