Vice caché? Legal advice on car sold

g-ng

asking for a friend(seller):

1 - sold a 2009 Honda Fit manual with 190k km for 4k in October 2021. In the ad, took pics of the outside, inside, and underneath. Rustproofed every 2 years, typical rust underneath a 12 year old Honda in Quebec.
***"No rust on the body" was mentioned in the ad.
2 - buyer did not inspect the car before the transfer.
3 - friend sold the car thru the SAAQ power of attorney (procuration), agreed to write 1$ as the sale price.
4 - buyer comes back the same month in October, went to a Honda dealer for an inspection, found a rust hole behind the heatshield of the muffler. (No way you could have seen it visually looking under the car) Attached pic.

5 - buyer calls, emails, and mails a registered letter in Nov 2021 and notifies of dealership's findings.
6 - seller in good faith, offer #1 compensate 500$ or take the car for 3500$ ( original sold price of 4000 - 500$) *written proof*
7- buyer refuses offer #1
8- seller makes offer #2: to reimburse for everything she spent up to now ( 4000$ + inspection + weathertech mats) *written proof*
9- buyer refuses offer #2
10- buyer proceeds to get a quote from a body shop for 2500$ and proceeds to go ahead regardless and ask seller to pay the bill.
11- buyer threatens legal action
12 - seller received letter from small claims court being sued for the repair bill claiming latent defect(vice caché)

Here’s what we found up to now
In the OPC website:

https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consumer/good-service/vehicle/selling-individual/warranties/

“The Civil Code provides a warranty against hidden defects. This means that your vehicle’s buyer could have recourse against you if they discover a hidden defect after the purchase has been completed. A hidden defect is a problem that, had it been known before the purchase, would have prevented the buyer from purchasing the car or led them to negotiate the price downward. A hidden defect is present before the sale but cannot be detected by a buyer who carefully examines the car.

You can ask the buyer to renounce, in writing, the Civil Code warranty, but despite such an agreement, the buyer could have recourse against you if it can be proven that you had knowledge of a defect before you sold your vehicle.”

And in this case, the Civil Code warranty is referred to CCQ article 1726

http://www.legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/version/cs/CCQ-1991?code=se:1726&history=20181002

“ 1726. The seller is bound to warrant the buyer that the property and its accessories are, at the time of the sale, free of latent defects which render it unfit for the use for which it was intended or which so diminish its usefulness that the buyer would not have bought it or paid so high a price if he had been aware of them.
The seller is not bound, however, to warrant against any latent defect known to the buyer or any apparent defect; an apparent defect is a defect that can be perceived by a prudent and diligent buyer without any need of expert assistance.”

now my questions:

did the buyer commit tax fraud? And is my friend, the seller, on the hook even though in section 3 of the PoA, it states:
I declare that I have sold my vehicle for the sum of $ ___ 1____ and my friend signed after

how well does this lawsuit stand? And what recourse does my friend have?

can he just reply to the lawsuit with all the emails in print of my friend trying to:
a. Compensate the buyer 500$ and refused
b. Cancel the sale and compensate her for all incurred cost( and still refused)
c. The buyer is dealing in bad faith and forcing my friend to keep the car and the money.

Thanks for the help guys.
972bd17ba876705578239a839fef6463.jpg

Last edited:
tell the buyer to have sex with himself.
arrete de répondre, attend les procédures légale.

It's the buyer responsability to prove in court the 'vice caché'.

He didn't inspect it before buying the car, so it's his problem...

Tout ça pour une auto de 4000$... le juge va y rire dans face. Le vendeur a déjà été de très bonne foi en proposant divers scénarios pour régler la situation. Comme c'est dit plus haut, répond plus et attend que ça vienne, il ira pas loin en disant devant le juge que le char a été déclaré à 1$ à la SAAQ et qu'il l'a acheté sans inspection...his loss, your gain. Il aurait eu meilleur en acceptant une des offres de ton ami

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Le vendeur a démontré une bonne intention d'accommoder et régler le dossier hors court. L'acheteur est déraisonnable et mon impression est qu'il veut soutirer de l'argent au vendeur.

L'acheteur semble pas avoir toute sa tête à vouloir faire une réparation de 2500$ sur une voiture de 4000$.

Il aurait également dû faire inspecter la voiture avant l'achat.

Ton ami devrait simplement arrêter de répondre et il ne se passera probablement rien.

Le buyer se crosse. Le seller donne pas une cenne. No inspection= good luck en cour. De plus, est-ce que c'est normal qu'une auto de 12 ans ait de la rouille ? Je pense que oui.

2 - buyer did not inspect the car before the transfer.
3 - friend sold the car thru the SAAQ power of attorney (procuration), agreed to write 1$ as the sale price.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

tu lui offrais 500$ en toute bonne fois mais que la t'en a pus de bonne fois pis qu'il ait se crosser avec du papier sablé.

Dindu ?

J'arriverais en cour avec le plus grand sourire

merci pour les reponses. Mais je me suis fais convraincre autrement que il y a une garantie legale entre particulier et que la bout de papier qu'on ecrit d'habitude vaut rien.
"Je , gng, vend une 2000 Lemon VIN #XXX avec 200k km a Ginette Lalonde pour un montant total de 4000$ et la vente est final et tel quel "
Il faudrait ajouter " L'acheteur a renonce a la garantie du code civil CCQ section 1726. signer Ginette" pour que ce soit valide et vraiment "tel quel et final"

mais bon, I agree, tell buyer to go pound sand.
it opens my eyes to what lengths ppl go to for a 4000$ car...

edit: not dindu unfortunately

What a retarded world.

That’s why people will sell a similar car to a dealer for 1500$

Don’t give anything.

merci pour les reponses. Mais je me suis fais convraincre autrement que il y a une garantie legale entre particulier et que la bout de papier qu'on ecrit d'habitude vaut rien.
"Je , gng, vend une 2000 Lemon VIN #XXX avec 200k km a Ginette Lalonde pour un montant total de 4000$ et la vente est final et tel quel "
Il faudrait ajouter " L'acheteur a renonce a la garantie du code civil CCQ section 1726. signer Ginette" pour que ce soit valide et vraiment "tel quel et final"

ça doit être Ginette ou un esti de bougon du criss.

Qui dans un sain état d'esprit va payer 2500$ de body shop sur un char de 12 ans qui vaut 4000$. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Le gars y offre de rembourser le char pis y dit non, c'est clairement un mange marde qui mérite de finir tout nue mort dans le caniveau avec des plaies ouvertes pis des factures

There was a similar story on here years ago. A member sold a vehicle to someone, they wrote 1$ on the proxy the guy was driving home with the truck and the motor blew. They ended up in court and the member lost even with the 1$ signed proxy. I think it was sold for like 7k the member had to reimburse the guy for the truck or a new motor. Something along those lines.

There was a similar story on here years ago. A member sold a vehicle to someone, they wrote 1$ on the proxy the guy was driving home with the truck and the motor blew. They ended up in court and the member lost even with the 1$ signed proxy. I think it was sold for like 7k the member had to reimburse the guy for the truck or a new motor. Something along those lines.

Pas tout a fait la même histoire.

Ici le vendeur a tenté à 2 reprises d'accommoder l'acheteur, démontrant sa bonne foi et les 2 fois l'acheteur refuse.

Ehhh criss. Justement j'ai envoyé ma fit 2007 a la scrap pour m'éviter ce genre de soucis. C'est vraiment des modèles hyper rouilleux en plus, le trou de rouille, c'est normal sur une honda de 12 ans lol

fun fact j'ai une madame qui est venue le voir pis elle trouvait qu'elle avait beaucoup de rouille(ta yeule la, toute la rouille était sur les photos). En tout cas elle voulait faire ''réparer'' la rouille. Je lui est dit que ca n'a aucun bon sens ce qu'elle me dit la. A un stade aussi avancé, la rouille ca ne se répare plus vraiment a moins de mettre 10 000$++ au bodyshop pour une voiture que je vendais 1500$. Les gens..

La garantie légale entre particuliers, c'est la garantie contre le vice caché. Point final. Est-ce que dans ce cas c'est un vice caché ? Pense pas. Vois la définition d'un vice caché.

La garantie légale entre particuliers, c'est la garantie contre le vice caché. Point final. Est-ce que dans ce cas c'est un vice caché ? Pense pas. Vois la définition d'un vice caché.

Surtout que le buyer a PAS fait inspecter la voiture.

Ton ami n'a qu'a répondre : GO on se revoie en cours. merci bye.

Wtf… since when can u sue for “vice-caché” on a 12-13 year old car?

We arent talking about a house here. Wow

Also, make sure your friend sends the courts all the proof of what he offered as evidence.

Sometimes the judge has a few mins to study the case before your arguments.
And i think now… for small claims court… it will go to mediation before it goes to court.

Back