Can we do anything about the impending "PAYWALL" subscription for everything.

student13

Can we do anything about the impending "PAYWALL" subscription for everything.

Can we as auto enthusiast do anything about the auto industry pay wall ?

Tesla with its one time accelation paywall fee
BMW with their heated seats as a paywall fee.
Now Mercedes as a paywall subscription ( not fee) ie unending money for better acceleration.

Subscription meaning unending fees, even if you own the car forever. WTF.
https://www.engadget.com/mercedes-acceleration-increase-ev-subscription-230058550.html

Last edited:
Can we as auto enthusiast do anything about the auto industry pay wall ?

Tesla with its one time accelation paywall fee
BMW with their heated seats as a paywall fee.
Now Mercedes as a paywall subscription ( not fee) ie unending money for better acceleration.

Subscription meaning unending fees, even if you own the car forever. WTF.
https://www.engadget.com/mercedes-acceleration-increase-ev-subscription-230058550.html

I don't know if you're trolling but I'll bite.

Read this article from Road & Track a few days ago which explains the current situation very well:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a42087296/we-arent-bmws-target-market-anymore/

I'm what you would consider a ''car enthusiast, car guy'', or whatever you want to call it. I like cars, I have a preference for Euro but I'd gladly drive a GT350, a Corvette or a Hellcat.

Unfortunately ''car guys" are a very small market and probably a slowly declining market as our population ages. I'd say there's probably very few ''new'' car guys every year, most of us are in their 30's and above. Car manufacturers are in the business of making money and car enthusiasts are a declining market. Around me there's a few mid-20 year olds who don't even have a driving license, to them a car is a huge expense that's completely useless. They'd prefer tech and self driving cars over driving enjoyment. Manufacturers cater to those people and very few brands will be offering ''enthusiast'' cars anymore. It's all going to be tech-focused, screens, self driving, pay as you go options to get more market share from the younger crowd.

Porsche now sells waaaay more SUV's than sportscars, BMW M cars are a very small part of their market. I see US brands as the ones who will keep making enthusiast cars for a little while as the 'Muricans like their sportscars with manual gearboxes. The GT500 Mustangs was still only offerred in Manual until this current generation, Corvette just launched the Z06 with a DCT gearbox while BMW and others have come and gone from those.

I'd say now is the time to buy enthusiast cars, in a few years it's all going to be gone or extremely expensive (Porsche GT3)

Enthusiast or not, there is a difference between Tesla charging a one time unlock fee for maximum acceleration, ( something that I discussed with a tesla guy in his AMA thread), versus an ongoing subscription for maximum acceleration.
Think about it, once you have paid off your Mercedes , you still have to keep paying for max acceleration.

That's seriously fucked up like being charged monthly because I put my foot on the accelerator too hard monthly ? We all know its coming. We do need some legislative protection from this shit.

People will laugh or troll me today, but this will become a problem that will need legislation, or we are going to have to chose to unlock FM radio, AM radio or pay for a combo package to unlock both in the future.

C'est simple. Si personne ne paye, ils vont revoir leur modèle d'affaire.

Le trouble c'est qu'il y a toujours un cave qui veut payer, comme ya toujours un cave pour faire une job pour moins cher. C'est pour ça que les gouvernements font des lois et que les syndicats existent.

Les subscriptions c'est le fucking cancer. Par contre, tire moi des roches mais tan qu'il y aura une option paye une fois pis c'est locked au char forever, j'ai pas de trouble.

C'est le fun aussi de pouvoir payer par mois pour certain truc que je ne payerais pas pour toujours AKA Tesla FSD

c'est 250$ par mois ou 20 000$ forever. Payé 20 000$ c'est retarder mais payé 250$ pour un mois que je me tappe un road trip de 5000km, shut up and take my money.

It’s a strange model but no different to what they had been doing for years with charging insane fees to unlock codes options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a strange model but no different to what they had been doing for years with charging insane fees to unlock codes options

I noticed that the European Union is a lot better at consumer protection versus Canada /USA.

-GDPR on how companies can sell your data
-Forcing usb-C cables across the board.
-thwarting paywall on cars

People may laugh at this thread but thus is THE automotive issue of this century .
Every mother wants to become a Netflix subscription.

I noticed that the European Union is a lot better at consumer protection versus Canada /USA.

-GDPR on how companies can sell your data
-Forcing usb-C cables across the board.
-thwarting paywall on cars

People may laugh at this thread but thus is THE automotive issue of this century .
Every mother wants to become a Netflix subscription.

Maybe if of the decade but not century. The beauty of subscription model not just for car manufactures is that user base has a value itself aside from monthly fees.

I mean Quebec has the strongest consumer protection laws in NA and would likely somewhat outlaw it as well. The OEMs would just tailor their model based on region. The USB-C thing from the EU was to stick it to Apple for their tax avoidance and telling the EU to get bent. It wasn’t done to help consumers as pretty much any modern phone will have USBC. But yea I do find it mildly annoying that to charge my phone I can’t use my iPad cable… considering all of apples charging blocks are USB C

As for the radio. AM radio is in its final years, AM radio can’t be used in EVs. Most big AM stations are already on the HD FM band. Emergency use? FM is fine for that. Ever list to AM radio on a cloudy day? Or in your car while passing under electrical wires? Are you going to complain about lack of CD player in cars now? I don’t remember the last time I listened to “local” radio

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/10/business/media/am-radio-cars.html

Back