montreal taxi protesting downtown over woman car pooling

be_man36

So I was down town today (12:00-1:00) and traffic was jammed on rene Lévesque because of taxi drivers protesting over "no to illegal transportation passengers" that I saw the sign I their windows! Like wtf?!!! They're making a big stink over that woman who got busted for car pooling those people? Really?!!!!! pissed me off to no ends that they're pulling this shit over such a small thing...

Last edited:
I still think Montreal has already given out too many taxi licenses. They should cut back. There are probably twice the amount of taxis than what a city our size needs.

Oh, and they drive like the goats they sleep with in their native countries.

I still think Montreal has already given out too many taxi licenses. They should cut back. There are probably twice the amount of taxis than what a city our size needs.

How about Montreal doesn't emit any quota of licences or prices? That way, the taxis will get cheaper, the margins lower and it will automatically bring down the number of taxis....

They can't cut back because they are NOT issuing any licenses and it's been like that for a while. The only way to get a taxi license is to buy it from another taxi driver/company who's willing to sell their license. These are also the people who decided the price of a license, not the city. The city does not make any money when a cab license is sold to someone else.

Now, I am not an expert in that field but a friend of my retired from the taxi business and that's how he explained it to me. The only people to blame for expensive taxi license are the license holders (taxi drivers) themselves.

taxi drivers are pissed because they gotta pay high car insurance, high prices for their taxi plates, high prices for their taxi liscense, every 2 years pass a driving course and must have a car no older than 9 years yet none of this applies to Uber (that theyre protesting)

taxi drivers are pissed because they gotta pay high car insurance, high prices for their taxi plates, high prices for their taxi liscense, every 2 years pass a driving course and must have a car no older than 9 years yet none of this applies to Uber (that theyre protesting)

uberX and uberXL vehicles must be 2008 or newer.

UberBLACK and UberSUV vehicles must be 2010 or newer.

EDIT. Nevermind, that's NYC. Different specs for Montreal:

UberX: Une voiture 4 portes de moins de 10 ans, en excellent état.
UberBLACK: Une berline haut de gamme de moins de 4 ans et de couleur sombre. Boîte automatique et intérieur 100% cuir.

They can't cut back because they are NOT issuing any licenses and it's been like that for a while. The only way to get a taxi license is to buy it from another taxi driver/company who's willing to sell their license. These are also the people who decided the price of a license, not the city. The city does not make any money when a cab license is sold to someone else.

Now, I am not an expert in that field but a friend of my retired from the taxi business and that's how he explained it to me. The only people to blame for expensive taxi license are the license holders (taxi drivers) themselves.

What was the original price of a license issued by the town? Couldn't Montreal say "we will buy back all the license at the price we issued them back in the days" and then all the taxi drivers get screwed? And then they instaure a mensual rate or something for the remaining taxis ans uber.

What was the original price of a license issued by the town? Couldn't Montreal say "we will buy back all the license at the price we issued them back in the days" and then all the taxi drivers get screwed? And then they instaure a mensual rate or something for the remaining taxis ans uber.

La ville distribuait gratuitement les licences.

Mais ca serait chien pour le nouveau proprietaire de taxi qui vient de debourser 200k pour acheter sa license au marche noir...

C'est tout aussi chien pour la ville d'être coincée avec un système qui ne lui rapporte rien alors que des compagnies de taxis et individus font la passe de cash avec ça.

Est-ce que la ville a stipulé que c'est illégal de revendre une license de taxi (pas la céder gratuitement) ou ils n'ont jamais rien dit sur le sujet? Parce que si on parle de marché noir, ben too bad pour l'immigrant qui vient de se ruiner. Si tu achètes un char volé en connaissance de cause, tu viendras pas brailler si on te le saisit sans te redonner ton cash...

Back